No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Yukon John] #7359515
09/19/21 07:54 PM
09/19/21 07:54 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by Yukon John
I left items in a cart yesterday, all registers were roped off. The more self checkouts are used, the less people will be working there.

We have a rather large dairy store here. They have a unique policy , if there is more than 3 people in a checkout line , they open another checkout or so. They really hold dear to that too. Unlike Wal-Mart or other stores.
Aldi does a good job with their checkouts mostly due to multiple large UPC's on their products. You can get in line behind 2 people with full shopping carts and it only takes a few minutes before it is your turn.

I feel one of the cardinal rules of retail should be not to make people wait to hand over their money. Money is the lifeblood of any business. Why make people wait to hand it over?
Hence the shopping cart with goods left behind unsold. Loss of a sale , extra cost to restock it , and an unhappy customer who may shop somewhere else next time.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359520
09/19/21 08:04 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Online content
trapper
upstateNY  Online Content
trapper
U

ny
I agree with the Lady.Im retired after 40 years in the Steelworkesrs .I didn't retire to go bagging groceries for FREE.Self checkouts are a bunch of crap and I have left my cart with the stuff still in it and walked out more than once.If everyone would do that,,they would smarten up and open more registers..

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359521
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Love self check out or hate it, it’s the future.

Population continues to grow and number of jobs decline. Just how it goes. Self check out, ATMs and online banking vs bank tellers, etc

Unfortunately, that’s the way “progress” works. Not that I voted for “hope and change”. We just can’t stop the change part wink

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Cragar] #7359589
09/19/21 08:59 PM
09/19/21 08:59 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Cragar
Originally Posted by Yukon John
I left items in a cart yesterday, all registers were roped off. The more self checkouts are used, the less people will be working there.

We have a rather large dairy store here. They have a unique policy , if there is more than 3 people in a checkout line , they open another checkout or so. They really hold dear to that too. Unlike Wal-Mart or other stores.
Aldi does a good job with their checkouts mostly due to multiple large UPC's on their products. You can get in line behind 2 people with full shopping carts and it only takes a few minutes before it is your turn.

I feel one of the cardinal rules of retail should be not to make people wait to hand over their money. Money is the lifeblood of any business. Why make people wait to hand it over?
Hence the shopping cart with goods left behind unsold. Loss of a sale , extra cost to restock it , and an unhappy customer who may shop somewhere else next time.

Exactly this! If I go into a store and there's 1 or 2 check out lines open with 10+ people in line at each, that tells me that company could care less whether I spend my money there or not.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: upstateNY] #7359593
09/19/21 09:03 PM
09/19/21 09:03 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by upstateNY
I agree with the Lady.Im retired after 40 years in the Steelworkesrs .I didn't retire to go bagging groceries for FREE.Self checkouts are a bunch of crap and I have left my cart with the stuff still in it and walked out more than once.If everyone would do that,,they would smarten up and open more registers..

No they wouldn't, it doesn't work like that all your doing is just giving more work to the associates again if it sucks a big deal you should call the crap out of corporate. I've learned people who haven't worked retail really don't get that. You leave your cart full of items in a huff about self check out no one wires it down no one makes a report no one really cares on the store level. We just take your cart and re stock the items. I really don't get the logic of someone who's been doing hard work their whole life being again putting the stuff they paid for in a bag the way they want or pumping their own gas ect.

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 09/19/21 09:08 PM.
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359595
09/19/21 09:05 PM
09/19/21 09:05 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

No they wouldn't, it doesn't work like that all your doing is just giving more work to the associates again if it's suck a big deal you should call the crap out of corporate. I've learned people who haven't worked retail really don't get that. You leave your cart full of items in a huff about self check out no one wires it down no one makes a report no one really cares on the store level. We just take your cart and re stock the items.

Yup, you have that right

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359597
09/19/21 09:06 PM
09/19/21 09:06 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Lots of spots you can motor a full cart right thru self checkout and out the door.....no one is being stopped.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359600
09/19/21 09:09 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
I've gotten a refund for a full cart when they refuse to bag it correctly. I separate everything into groups ie meat, frozen, veggies etc. Asked both checker and bagger to please bag it as its separated on the belt due to length of drive home. I asked more then once and neither cared. So when he got done bagging it i told the checker i wanted a refund. She called the manager and when i explained what happened he asked who should put it all away , my answer was either he could or the 2 who didn't care what was asked of them. No extra work as i had it all separate.
I still shop there and none of the 3 lasted long there.

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Marty] #7359601
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Marty
Lots of spots you can motor a full cart right thru self checkout and out the door.....no one is being stopped.

Yeah it's cheaper for the big corporation alot of times. Actually the camera Id people and LP contacts the cops and they recover the more expensive items alot of times

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359612
09/19/21 09:16 PM
09/19/21 09:16 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Wolf I have a bachelor degree in computer science I can figure it out my issue is not kicking the stupid thing when barks at me to put it in the bagging area and I already have.

i have to think calming thoughts so I don't smash something

don't smash it in only 49 more items to go , don;t smash it in only 45 more items to go , cheese and rice it can scan one bar code from like 8 inches and the next I have run 5 times perfectly and slowly ok the next apple has the same bar code scan it twice ,

please place item ion bagging area !!!!

please place item in bagging area!!!!!

"it's in the bleeeeeepedeeee bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeepeeeen bagging area "

scan a box of shotgun shells , ****** please wait for attendant ******* sure my birthday is 7-4-1976 now can we move on i have kids old enough to buy ammo

oddly the one place I like to use the self check out is the liqueur store because there are 4 self check outs and one cashier ussually with a line of people and I am seldom buying more than 2 cases of beer maybe 2 cases and a bottle so it all fits in the bagging area.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359614
09/19/21 09:17 PM
09/19/21 09:17 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
You're right that leaving a full cart isn't going to accomplish anything as far as getting things changed. BUT if I have a full cart and there's a half hour wait in line to check out, I'm still gonna leave it. And go right across town to one of the two grocery stores that actually care about their customers. Does it suck for the employee that has to put it back? Maybe, but it kind of comes with the territory of working retail.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7359621
09/19/21 09:22 PM
09/19/21 09:22 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Wolf I have a bachelor degree in computer science I can figure it out my issue is not kicking the stupid thing when barks at me to put it in the bagging area and I already have.

i have to think calming thoughts so I don't smash something

don't smash it in only 49 more items to go , don;t smash it in only 45 more items to go , cheese and rice it can scan one bar code from like 8 inches and the next I have run 5 times perfectly and slowly ok the next apple has the same bar code scan it twice ,

please place item ion bagging area !!!!

please place item in bagging area!!!!!

"it's in the bleeeeeepedeeee bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeepeeeen bagging area "

scan a box of shotgun shells , ****** please wait for attendant ******* sure my birthday is 7-4-1976 now can we move on i have kids old enough to buy ammo

oddly the one place I like to use the self check out is the liqueur store because there are 4 self check outs and one cashier ussually with a line of people and I am seldom buying more than 2 cases of beer maybe 2 cases and a bottle so it all fits in the bagging area.

Again yeah if you have a full cart it's one thing

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: yotetrapper30] #7359624
09/19/21 09:24 PM
09/19/21 09:24 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
You're right that leaving a full cart isn't going to accomplish anything as far as getting things changed. BUT if I have a full cart and there's a half hour wait in line to check out, I'm still gonna leave it. And go right across town to one of the two grocery stores that actually care about their customers. Does it suck for the employee that has to put it back? Maybe, but it kind of comes with the territory of working retail.

Idk most of them don't really seem to care it's just " o wow another cart left , whatever just more time to burn off the clock till 3" seriously anytime I have to that's my though process

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359655
09/19/21 09:49 PM
09/19/21 09:49 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I really don't get the logic of someone who's been doing hard work their whole life being again putting the stuff they paid for in a bag the way they want or pumping their own gas ect.

because you never lived in a world where customers were valued and treated well

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: danny clifton] #7359670
09/19/21 09:57 PM
09/19/21 09:57 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I really don't get the logic of someone who's been doing hard work their whole life being again putting the stuff they paid for in a bag the way they want or pumping their own gas ect.

because you never lived in a world where customers were valued and treated well

No I feel theirs a difference between that and just wanting stuff done for you. I have more than a few businesses I value to bend over backwards ( the bait shop ,my local feed stores, my favorite jiffy lube ect ) for their customers and I love them but I'm after seeing how so many employees are I just rather do it right myself if it's something like bagging my own groceries. Even when there's an option I don't feel comfortable having someone else do it most times

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 09/19/21 09:59 PM.
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359789
09/20/21 06:27 AM
09/20/21 06:27 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
grocery bagging was often done by high school boys or old retired guys. they worked more for tips than wages like waitresses do. which is something else i miss. sit down and eat food stead of maceggs or chicken nuggets

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359797
09/20/21 06:56 AM
09/20/21 06:56 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

No they wouldn't, it doesn't work like that all your doing is just giving more work to the associates again if it sucks a big deal you should call the crap out of corporate. I've learned people who haven't worked retail really don't get that. You leave your cart full of items in a huff about self check out no one wires it down no one makes a report no one really cares on the store level. We just take your cart and re stock the items. I really don't get the logic of someone who's been doing hard work their whole life being again putting the stuff they paid for in a bag the way they want or pumping their own gas ect.

If done on a mass scale it would work. Stock your cart with small items and perishable items and watch that company bleed money. This would also tie up associates restocking instead of doing the job they are supposed too which in turn would pee off more people and bleed even more customers. Haven't worked retail but remolded Kroger stores for several years.

Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Marty] #7359846
09/20/21 08:21 AM
09/20/21 08:21 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by Marty

I actually did that once when I simply forgot to pay. Turned around and asked the attendant if I could still pay but had to re-scan every item. The door-man doesn't check if stuff is bagged. If something isn't bagged then they'll ask to see the receipt.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359847
09/20/21 08:23 AM
09/20/21 08:23 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
The closest Walmart here has 5 aisles left with live checkers...everything else has switched to self check-out.....if there's enough employees available to stand and watch and help folks that can't navigate self-checkout.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Amish at self check out [Re: Wolfdog91] #7359918
09/20/21 10:40 AM
09/20/21 10:40 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Won't be long before you place your order on line. Automated robots will build it and you pick it at at window 5 @10:15. No humans or human interaction required.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread