Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
if your on a budget and an entry level gun the cap locks are a lot less expensive

might be a good starter , the nice part about TC is they were decent quality and parts are still fairly easy to find

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/911207351

I'm by no means a gun nut. TC went out of business?

If I understand correctly, the longer the barrel, the slower the twist? Can I shoot conical bullets like a minie ball out of a 1:60?

the company is still in business however in 1996 I think it was they had a fire that wiped out most of their traditional muzzle loader line , it wasn't making enough to on the line to replace all the tooling thus it went away

the up side is there were a lot of them out there , still are and they were well built for a production gun,

thus the Glock effect a couple places make barrels , I think someone is making a replacement lock and I think someone is making a replacement stock even.

the threads were all inch not metric and nipples , ram rods , sights and such are all still around

twist is independent from barrel length merely the measure of the "thread pitch " inside the barrel

1:60 1:66 and 1:70 are considered round ball only twist

the TC were all 1:48 from the factory the combo twist shooting patched round ball and some short conical both well

there are aftermarket barrels in slower and faster twist , the long range conical shooters like a 1:30 or 1:28

while the guys who are dedicated patched round ball buy 1:66

Mini balls are undersized for bore , Maxi balls fit into the rifling on the way down and provide greater accuracy but slower loading , the mini should just slide down a clean bore under it's own weight , they were developed for rapid reloading they need a push down a fouled barrel but scrape the fouling off as they go down , then the skirt expands into the rifling during the explosion propelling it out the barrel.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.