No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: drasselt] #7364352
09/25/21 11:32 PM
09/25/21 11:32 PM
Custer SD
A
arcticotter Offline
trapper
arcticotter  Offline
trapper
A

Custer SD
Originally Posted by drasselt
Focus.
Total focus on the target and your natural hand-eye coordination does the rest.

I would agree. Total instinctive shotgunning for me. After handling one almost every day growing up.

Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: mississippiposse] #7364363
09/25/21 11:45 PM
09/25/21 11:45 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Originally Posted by mississippiposse
Shoot shoot shoot as others have said. If you want to shoot traditional bow. Become the arrow by Byron Ferguson is a good book for $11.50. I also was self taught but been shooting since the 60 s when I was a kid. Now I shoot a hill bow almost every day. Use to shoot a Ferguson. Don’t hunt but can’t hear or walk that far. Shotgun would not know to shoot one any other way. Nessmuck nice longbow. Been a longbow fan for years.

Thanks ! You’d like it …74 inch Yew Wood …57 @ 28”… Horn nocks.

Last edited by Nessmuck; 09/25/21 11:46 PM.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364370
09/26/21 12:04 AM
09/26/21 12:04 AM
Utah
J
Jasper69 Offline
trapper
Jasper69  Offline
trapper
J

Utah
Lots of shooting with whatever. BB gun and 23 lb. recurve when I was young. It is amazing how good you can become. Especially if you start young. Remember we aren't shooting long range here. The Comanches could hit a doorknob at 40 yards. Crazy Horse and his young Sioux buddies learned by jump shooting grasshoppers on the wing.If you spent days doing that a young age I bet you could get pretty good too.

Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364513
09/26/21 08:57 AM
09/26/21 08:57 AM
ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

ny
I fooled with it long, long time ago. essentially it was total focus on target, and just letting your hand eye co-ordination do it's thing... sorta like pointing your finger at a target, flying or otherwise, and saying "bang", lol
I did it with a thrown can and a 22, surprising how fast you can pick it up...and hit stuff

Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364523
09/26/21 09:08 AM
09/26/21 09:08 AM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
How did you learn to throw a rock or ball? The computer between your ears and practice does it all its that simple. Sights are technology that speeds up the process plain and simple.

Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364560
09/26/21 09:52 AM
09/26/21 09:52 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
When was kid I shot now instinct. Self taught just didn't know different
Later I went two three fingers under and sighting down arrow. I have shot bows all set up nice with peep sight puns used release. Thing about shooting with out all thàt. I can pick up most any bow I can draw. Shoot few arrows be close enough on target hit target. Sights take more monkeying around for me to get on Target. actually think much like kids with dang video games hand eye thing and younger you start easier to learn. Don't matter if is bow hand gun or shotgun. My dad had uncle shotgunned everything from hip. Never shoulder gun. Even deer with slugs.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364576
09/26/21 10:21 AM
09/26/21 10:21 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Your sight alignment changes greatly from traditional use of sights to point and shooting below that point of aim. Your first attempt to shoot from the hip will surprise you as your brain is still trying to use the traditional way of aiming at a target. It’s like learning your balance all over again but once you learn to compensate it sticks with you needing less correction then.

Starting with a .22 rifle might help the learning process then move to the pistol. With a bow its a matter of eye and hand coordination and releasing when on target no need to hold longer because your not doing traditional aiming that way.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364585
09/26/21 10:30 AM
09/26/21 10:30 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content
trapper
J

Ky
My grand paw showed me how to shoot a sling shot. same principle as a gunfighter shooting from the draw. Imagine you are pointing at an object was how I was shown. Both eyes open. I shoot skeet ,doves anything that is moving same way. Running deer both eyes open looking threw scope with dominate eye as other one tracks the target.

Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364638
09/26/21 11:33 AM
09/26/21 11:33 AM
Indiana
J
Jacob W Offline
trapper
Jacob W  Offline
trapper
J

Indiana
My dad new a guy that was a sponsored shooter he said how learned was he took a 22 rifle took the sights off and used a piece of plywood painted white as a target he pull up shoot a hole then pull up and shoot at the hole until he could hit it every time.my dad can shoot a bow pretty good with out sights.I personally shoot a hoyt fast flight a 70lb 25 year old compound with a flipper rest no sights no release I use three fingers under no glove.I learned on a marten rebel recurve I shot and shot and shot with that thing all the time I could hit about any thing I wanted. A thing that happened to me that messed me up I was good and shot all the time I would shoot 40,50 arrows a day or more until one day I was about 9 or 10 I was pulling back the string and it felt like stabbed a knife in my wrist I pulled some thing in it from shooting to much I guess but I didn't shoot again for 2 to 4 months I don't really remember how long but when I started again I had to start all over I got pretty good again but I didn't shoot as much as I used to that was my falt I killed a couple deers with that bow then as I got older I started slipping I would only shoot about a month before I started hunting I went downhill from there couldn't hit any thing was having alot of trouble with bow arrow kicking side to side out of the bow finally found out that I had out grown the bow I messed around with another recurve for a couple years I don't think that bow was vary good then I went to the compound with no sights and that is what I am using now it is easier for me to shoot the hardest part for me right now is picking a spot tend to just want to shoot a the target. if you shoot at a apple you will barely miss it all the time you stick a thumb tack in the apple and shoot a the tack you will hit the apple every time.i have all way be better shooting at moving targets it helps you not think about it if you think long you think wrong I used to shoot empty 22 casings in the air with a buck BB gun also. so if you want to shoot instinctive set a distance shoot all the time every day and pick a spot in not to long you will be pretty good. that is my story and my to cents worth.

Last edited by Jacob W; 09/26/21 11:38 AM.

FTA member
Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364654
09/26/21 11:59 AM
09/26/21 11:59 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I prefer to teach kids to shoot instinctively before they start using sights to give them the principals of how to do it .

I have them draw the bow with some instructions on grip and anchor point . After shooting the bow I explain that if they do exactly the same thing every time the arrow will hit the same every time . Now they have to learn to look where the arrow is going.

That’s the simplest way to teach instinctive shooting that I can think of . I hope that helps Angela.

Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364673
09/26/21 12:36 PM
09/26/21 12:36 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline OP
trapper

Oakland, MS
Thanks everyone. Lots of good advice on here. Think I might start practicing with a BB gun. Can't afford nor find enough .22 shells to waste in the learning.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364709
09/26/21 01:17 PM
09/26/21 01:17 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
A BB gun is great for instinctive shooting. Ammo is cheap, and you don't wear out your muscles and body parts with heavy practice. I don't know about today's BB guns, but the Daisey® i had as a kid, shot at a perfect velocity. It was lethal on squirrels on down, and you could actually watch the trajectory so you always knew exactly where you were shooting.

Someone mentioned flying grasshoppers with a bow. I used to hit dragonflies with BB's. Not quite as impressive, but, not nearly the same practice required, either.

Unfortunately, though, I don't think that skill carries over to archery or firearms. At least it didn't for me. I am an old man now, and finally redeveloping that skill in trap shooting. I don't quite hit as many targets, but it is way less stressful, and nearly as accurate.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364754
09/26/21 02:25 PM
09/26/21 02:25 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Angela a paint ball gun is fairly cheap to shoot if can get CO2 or compressed air fills. I haven't shot mine in several years now. But when I was playing regular with group. I could some days throw up a paint ball and shoot out the air with my paint gun. Like T-Rex said about the BBs with paint ball like arrow you can watch it go down range.
Worst problem I have for being eye trained like that. If I'm driving and look at say pop can laying in traffic lane in road. I have tell my self don't run it over. I look to long seem like hit with front tire every time lmao.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364758
09/26/21 02:31 PM
09/26/21 02:31 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
With guns it's called point shooting. My instructors taught me good ways of point shooting with my .45 ACP. Never even bring it up to aim if you don't want to. Have it secured in one or both hands, in any position. I do the same with my Mossburg short barrel 12g pump. Just a difference in holding it.

When things happen fast, all there is time to do is draw the weapon and know where the barrel is without aiming.

Angela, I have just the ticket for you in practicing. No ammo spent but you use your gun just as you would if you were firing ammo.

Called Pink Rhino laser bullet . It comes in many sizes to chamber into many different guns. It can be paired with a system online to target practice and keep score of how you do, or you can use it without the online pairing.

I just point and shoot anywhere in my house , one hand or both. Point at any small target . I practice anywhere from 20 feet to 6 feet and all in between.

A red dot shows brightly when you squeeze the trigger.

Runs on batteries, so far I haven't used up the first set of batteries and I've shot a lot with it.

There is a lot of advantage to point shooting ...no leading with the barrel for one thing.

You do get the feel of it ...don't even need to look down , just have the barrel in your peripheral vision.

This isn't made for all firearms, but if you have one that does, it's great to use with no ammo expense.

https://mantisx.com/products/pink-rhino-laser-training-cartridge-9mm

[Linked Image]

Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364761
09/26/21 02:43 PM
09/26/21 02:43 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Once you get your technique down so that you release the arrow exactly the same each time, you need to totally dismiss any notion of aiming.
The key to hitting that particular hair on the side of that deer is to focus your eyes on that hair, and allow your hands and brain to come together to place the arrow on that hair.
Some call it muscle memory. An example of how your hands know where everything is can be illustrated by closing your eyes and point to the hangnail on corner of your big toe.You will point right at it every time. How? I have no idea. But I do know that this innate ability is exactly what makes instinctive shooting possible.
Any notion of "aiming" will destroy your ability to develop this technique.

Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364763
09/26/21 02:45 PM
09/26/21 02:45 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline OP
trapper

Oakland, MS
That's pretty cool Sharon. I don't have any guns in those calibers, but will keep it in mind if I ever do end up with one.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364764
09/26/21 02:50 PM
09/26/21 02:50 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Thanks everyone. Lots of good advice on here. Think I might start practicing with a BB gun. Can't afford nor find enough .22 shells to waste in the learning.

If your shooting a pistol, a laser on it will give you practice without wasting high dollar ammo. I use to shoot my 22 pistol from the hip and wasted alot of ammo.lol

Once you get muscle memory you'll be surprised how decent you can get at it.

Probably could mount one on a rifle?

Last edited by hippie; 09/26/21 02:51 PM.
Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7364773
09/26/21 03:06 PM
09/26/21 03:06 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
OK Angela , just to have the info is good !

Racer man, a laser mounted on a rifle sounds great. I'm betting there's a way to do that.

What is good about the laser bullet though, is that you work your chambering after every shot as you would with real ammo. You only have one bullet and need to set for the next shot manually, even with a semi auto.

The slide on my .45 is so stiff , it is good to work it manually after every shot . Over time I EXPECT it to loosen up . And my grip power on the slide has improved bigly.

Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: Sharon] #7365007
09/26/21 07:05 PM
09/26/21 07:05 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by Sharon
With guns it's called point shooting. My instructors taught me good ways of point shooting with my .45 ACP. Never even bring it up to aim if you don't want to. Have it secured in one or both hands, in any position. I do the same with my Mossburg short barrel 12g pump. Just a difference in holding it.

When things happen fast, all there is time to do is draw the weapon and know where the barrel is without aiming.

Angela, I have just the ticket for you in practicing. No ammo spent but you use your gun just as you would if you were firing ammo.

Called Pink Rhino laser bullet . It comes in many sizes to chamber into many different guns. It can be paired with a system online to target practice and keep score of how you do, or you can use it without the online pairing.

I just point and shoot anywhere in my house , one hand or both. Point at any small target . I practice anywhere from 20 feet to 6 feet and all in between.

A red dot shows brightly when you squeeze the trigger.

Runs on batteries, so far I haven't used up the first set of batteries and I've shot a lot with it.

There is a lot of advantage to point shooting ...no leading with the barrel for one thing.

You do get the feel of it ...don't even need to look down , just have the barrel in your peripheral vision.

This isn't made for all firearms, but if you have one that does, it's great to use with no ammo expense.

https://mantisx.com/products/pink-rhino-laser-training-cartridge-9mm

[Linked Image]

I didn't see this before I posted blush

These would work great!

Re: Instinctive shooting [Re: yotetrapper30] #7365237
09/26/21 10:54 PM
09/26/21 10:54 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
Look Up Jeff Kavanagh on you tube.

Of all I have watched I really like his approach and his way of explaining thing.

I "snap shot" bows for a long time before I got a compound. I was decent but not real good. After watching this fella I got pretty dang good. I don't even own a compound bow now. Recurve is all I shoot.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread