No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
It’s that time of the year #7364145
09/25/21 06:27 PM
09/25/21 06:27 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Well, I received my first call of the year for trouble raccoons. Normally I’d have the game warden write a special permit and go trap them. They’re currently eating the ladies power source from her air conditioner to the house. We don’t open until November for trapping here. They are open to hunt. So it’s time to dust off the rust. Going to run a little handheld thermal and some night vision. See if I can pick a few off at dark as they come from the pasture. Then I’ll let the call go. I still haven’t dusted off the traps and not sure if I will.

[Linked Image]

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7364146
09/25/21 06:34 PM
09/25/21 06:34 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Good luck. Hope you smack a few

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7364159
09/25/21 07:18 PM
09/25/21 07:18 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Look like your ready to hammer a few.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7364188
09/25/21 07:55 PM
09/25/21 07:55 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Awesome. Slay em.

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7364424
09/26/21 06:40 AM
09/26/21 06:40 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
good luck ,let seem some results

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #7364508
09/26/21 08:49 AM
09/26/21 08:49 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
good luck ,let seem some results

Was a good night of calling. Coyotes sure were talking weren’t really set up for them. Never really factored wind so never tried to bring them in and will probably wait till they are prime. No use tearing into them yet. Raccoons were coming in hard, plenty of them and they don’t have a clue in the pitch dark. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Had a first timer with me, and at one point he was yelling over the caller “they’re running right at us.” I said that’s the point. Ha.

The most we had at one set was 6 and we got four at the problem location. We shot 14 raccoons in about 3.5 hours of fun. Saw some pretty nice bucks. The skunks were even charging the caller (they aren’t in season yet). It’s too bad raccoons aren’t worth much there’s no hiding from the thermal.

[Linked Image]

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7364510
09/26/21 08:51 AM
09/26/21 08:51 AM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Have fun!!

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7364631
09/26/21 11:25 AM
09/26/21 11:25 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
what kind of call do you use for calling the coons?

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7364636
09/26/21 11:31 AM
09/26/21 11:31 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Sounds like fun. I wish more people would kill a few to keep populations healthy. Im afraid this no coon market is going to really hurt them.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: danny clifton] #7364641
09/26/21 11:36 AM
09/26/21 11:36 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Sounds like fun. I wish more people would kill a few to keep populations healthy. Im afraid this no coon market is going to really hurt them.

Last year on one 1/2 mile stretch of river, I found 12 dead coons curled up by the waters edge, plus 2 more wandering around on the shore obviously sick. I still caught several along that stretch of river. I'll trap it again this year and hopefully catch a bunch again, they obviously need thinned out.

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: Dirty D] #7364819
09/26/21 04:05 PM
09/26/21 04:05 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Dirty D
what kind of call do you use for calling the coons?

When I used to call them a lot in the early 2000’s it was really hard to beat an old Johnny Stewart with Coon Pups. The days of cassette callers are definitely over. I just used a fox pro with raccoon fight. Seemed to have them charging pretty hard. I was amazed last winter how many raccoons were charging coyote vocals and rabbit distress. I guess I’ve found it doesn’t really matter what I’ve used. A raccoon fight is definitely the option if you’re targeting them. You also don’t have to move far to get into new groups which is also nice. If I really wanted to pile them up there were a number of “lookers” last night that the thermal would pick up on trees that came out to listen. It’s too early to do much but kill them so I only took the ones that wanted to eat the caller.

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: loosegoose] #7364872
09/26/21 05:16 PM
09/26/21 05:16 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by loosegoose
Originally Posted by danny clifton

Last year on one 1/2 mile stretch of river, I found 12 dead coons curled up by the waters edge, plus 2 more wandering around on the shore obviously sick. I still caught several along that stretch of river. I'll trap it again this year and hopefully catch a bunch again, they obviously need thinned out.

Lucky you caught any. Sounds like distemper. Usually it really hits the year of young hard and only the real rough ol boars make it through. I’ve seen it wipe out a pretty good sized area until more filter in.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 09/26/21 05:16 PM.

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7369581
10/02/21 11:57 AM
10/02/21 11:57 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Weekend warriors. Saw quite a few raccoons last night they were running hard. I’m trying to balance running the thermal and switching to night vision they’ve been charging hard. Once more crops come out there will be nowhere to hide. There were times last night we had raccoons coming from all sides. One made it about 5 feet from the caller I was watching another come from about 50 yards and heard him. Still no clue where he came from. We got both of them at that stand. The second tree’d and thought he was safe. No so much. My friend that I’ve introduced to calling did more missing than hitting. Such is life and it was still a blast. Four more down for sure. If they were worth anything I would have went out to the number of tree’d raccoons that never hit the ground and could have taken out many more. I made a quick stop today and switched to day mode, made sure I’m still on. Free hand at 50 yards I’d say I’m still on. Those .17 precision’s are tack drivers. No damage on the raccoons to be seen thus far.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7369922
10/02/21 08:54 PM
10/02/21 08:54 PM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
Well Done

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7378389
10/13/21 05:47 PM
10/13/21 05:47 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Has definitely become fall here, currently waiting for some more leaves to fall. Couldn’t hold back the urge the other night raccoons weren’t responding and the coyotes were howling. Had a guy that’s never seen thermal running the .223 most of the night.

First stop we tried had a pair of coyotes within about 50 yards after 2 minutes of female yodel. They disappeared into the thick and re-emerged about 25 yards out. Buddy couldn’t find them in the scope. I took the gun and shot the first one about 20 yards out. Second ran off into the thick and barked at us. I couldn’t get him to come out to where I could pick him up again. Got the female of the pair. Dad dropped cattle on there a couple nights ago. One less calve killer (crazy old man calves in January).

Heard another coyote next stop got downwind of them and started howling. Had two cross the road working downwind of us. Again the response was couldn’t get them and thought too far out. Depth perception is rough on thermals they were maybe 100 yards. I pretty much told him if it’s in your scope pull the trigger. I’m dead on at 50, inch and a half high at 100, back on 200, and 6 or so drop at 300. That’s about the farthest we have here. A lot of cover.

Next stop coyote came around a creek bend full stride for rabbit. He thought it was a deer. Sat down on its rear end I asked him if he’d ever seen a deer do that? Much less charge a rabbit squealing. Slipped into the creek no shot. Was 50 or so yards from the call.

Finally he redeemed himself. Old barn had a dead cow inside figured should be good. No coyote vocals just let out a lucky bird for about 10 minutes. If you want some excitement thermal is the way to go. I was running the handheld and before I knew it we had three coyotes in the catch pen with us. Anyone that knows what a catch pen is like there wasn’t much room between us and three coyotes. He rolled the first one inside the pen. Another ran out about 300 and spun around for pup distress. Told him to aim above the shoulder and he spun him. Made it about 10 feet and kicked over.

Every shot we had was on target and dead coyote. We ended up seeing around 15 total but only took those three shots for various reasons. I think I’ve hooked him as well. Up to around 27 raccoons already this year hunting and we haven’t worked for the ones we have. We are going to get into the 30’s this weekend. Night make it a little more tolerable in the thick stuff.

The other friend I’ve been primarily going out with has a Rattler 25 coming in the mail this week. We’re gonna site it in on Friday then go out. We’ve got some pretty good video so far. I’ll have to try to remember to record some more and start posting some.

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7378406
10/13/21 06:16 PM
10/13/21 06:16 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
A thermal is definitely on my bucket list! Keep this thread rolling too!!

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: Wanna Be] #7380393
10/16/21 11:48 AM
10/16/21 11:48 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
A thermal is definitely on my bucket list! Keep this thread rolling too!!

I would definitely save and get one of the mid-grade to start. Picture is ridiculous for $2k and over. I wouldn’t buy anything less than that for sure. I thought my buddy had the rattler 25 but he bought the 35. Sweet set up. He shot his first coyote last night. He’s always been into guns but this is the first time he’s been actually shooting at something other than targets.

Weather was perfect down to 39 degrees. Had a number of stands with pups. Lots of chattering. Then when I’d switch to male challenge the big dog would come from behind them all. We had four charge the call out of all of them we heard last night. Shot three adult males and one female out of a pair. Another four down. I ran a lot of coyote sequences last night. Trying to save the distress sounds for when the food is a little more scarce. Still a little too much cover could have easily got a few more on follow up shots but they’d get in the timber and bark at us. Longest shot was probably about 250 on the female. Couldn’t get them in any closer but I feel pretty confident out to 250 and I knew the location well. Closest start we had was a coyote that we literally didn’t know was there until he growled at the call (made it through two hand held scanners). He was probably at 20 yards when I first saw him after the bark but I couldn’t get him to stop, he was ready for a fight and had to have sprinted in. I shot him when he turned back to howl at about 100.

I think I’ll switch gears tonight and go back to night vision and raccoons. Maybe call a few coyotes if they howl at the raccoon fights.

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7384480
10/21/21 10:54 AM
10/21/21 10:54 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
I've been working on getting everything down to a science for the upcoming winter months. I've had quite a few locations where I just watched the raccoons charge. I do have a video of a raccoon attacking the caller. I've primarily been using the day/night vision scope for the raccoons. It comes with an infrared light which does what it should for raccoons. I'd say 50 yards was about the distance you could easily see raccoons in it. The problem is switching from thermal to night vision I'd often lose the raccoons and miss opportunities for some pretty easy shots. The IR it came with just didn't have enough to light up the surroundings and there's a lot of vegetation still currently. I went ahead and purchased an aftermarket IR for the scope. This .17 is a tack driver and I wanted to get to where I could comfortably take some shots on coyotes with it as well. The only problem is as we all know 50 yards is a dime a dozen on coyotes once the season heats up. This IR should reach my range out to 3-500 yards with the night vision. I don't need that much but figured if I was going to upgrade I'd skip the middle of the road stuff. I did have to change the mounts on the scope so I had to go re-site it in. After three shots I am back to a pretty solid grouping. I'd feel confident out to 100 with it on a coyote. It would be either a front chest shot or head whichever presents itself. All I know is the raccoons are really going to light up even more as well which should make the transition from thermal to night vision much better. I do plan to really try to get some video going in the next couple outings. The video on these night vision scopes is ridiculous and honestly it's much cheaper to get into then thermal. I definitely prefer the thermal if I am going after coyotes though.

[Linked Image]

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7384535
10/21/21 11:58 AM
10/21/21 11:58 AM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
what are you running for light? ive got two IRs basically hooked to each other just because that's what i already had. individually they seem ok in the 200-300 range but its nice to have both to give more useable light when you want it. one just has three settings while the other has a variable control. i like that control better so that you don't turn everything into whitewash if there is brush etc. probably should just buy one good one and be done. know what you mean about going from scan mode into gun mode.

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: BigBlackBirds] #7384546
10/21/21 12:19 PM
10/21/21 12:19 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by BigBlackBirds
what are you running for light? ive got two IRs basically hooked to each other just because that's what i already had. individually they seem ok in the 200-300 range but its nice to have both to give more useable light when you want it. one just has three settings while the other has a variable control. i like that control better so that you don't turn everything into whitewash if there is brush etc. probably should just buy one good one and be done. know what you mean about going from scan mode into gun mode.

I went with the Nightsnipe.NS. It has a very simple adjustable beam, you can go from flood to controlled in a matter of seconds. It also has two adjustments that can be made easily on the light to center your beam. Then there's the three modes of IR of low, medium, and high. The transition from thermal scanning to shooting nightvision is definitely a challenge. I had even contemplated going all thermal even for the raccoons because the ability to get on target is just that much faster. I'm hoping with the IR upgrade I will calm myself. I really like the ability to pin-point your shots with the night vision much better than thermal. I hate to waste how well this rifle is shooting with generalized thermal shots. I have no doubt if my IR can get there I can easily be within an inch at 100 yards. I've got it set just 0.35 inches high at 75 and dead on at 100. I'm zipping little 17 grainers so wind will be a factor I'll have to factor when the time comes. The above picture was at 25 yards as it's still rising. I think I will go out for a couple hours tonight and most likely go for quite a while on Friday night. I don't have to work until noon on Saturday. If I would remember to hit the record button I'd be in good shape the videos I have taken have been amazing I'll have to figure out how to get them up on here. I hit it the other night at a stop and forgot to shut it off. 6 hours of coyote calling bliss captured inside the truck. Ha. I don't even think I took it out of the truck the rest of the night.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 10/21/21 12:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread