No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Dress culture and church [Re: Posco] #7366789
09/28/21 08:20 PM
09/28/21 08:20 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Originally Posted by Posco
Most of my church background is pretty conservative. I'm still trying to wrap my head around electric guitars and drums backing up the choir.

A lady I was going out with for a time in invited me to her church in the city and I was shocked. They had a huge stage with about 30 ppl on it and a light show that you expect to find at a Def Leppard concert 30 years ago. Most of the young ppl wore blue jeans and a lot of them had holes in them.
I won't go again but in their defense I think they averaged a dozen new baptisms every weekend.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Dress culture and church [Re: Steven 49er] #7366815
09/28/21 08:36 PM
09/28/21 08:36 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Let's see, 50 to 75 dollar pair of slacks, 35 to 50 dollar button up shirt, and a 25 dollar tie.

Most people can afford to "dress" up for church if they put their mind to it.

Call me old-fashioned but I believe it's a sign of respect.

But then again I dress that way for funerals, weddings, graduations, my kid's awards banquets and the list goes on. It might be the same couple of pairs of pants and shirts but I believe it's better than jeans or God forbid(pun intended) shorts or sweatpants . Again I guess I'm old fashioned.

I think that adds up to more than my whole wardrobe costs.

Re: Dress culture and church [Re: BuckMink] #7366839
09/28/21 08:53 PM
09/28/21 08:53 PM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline
trapper
Chancey  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
I remember going to church in the early 80's as a little kid, all the farmers that I saw everyday were in their suit and tie, and it was hard for me to recognize them because they were not wearing overalls which is what I was used to seeing them in. Most of them were poor working folk, but both the men and women put on their best attire to attend. These were the individuals of the greatest generation. Mind you, that this church had no AC or bathroom; there was an outhouse outback though. After Sunday dinner, we would walk home and the men usually went back to farming/ranching or tended to some food they had started that morning and would share with the community.

That kind of community is gone now. I don't think it really matters how dressed up one is to receive the Word of God, BUT I do think, that when we as believers show up to worship the God of the universe and the Creator of the world, then we ought to show some respect. Taking the time to dress nicely once a week to glorify God, and not looking like a ragamuffin when one is praying to the Lord God Almighty, shouldn't be that big of a deal in my opinion; although I really don't think God cares. Clean yourself up and show respect for who put you here. We don't go to a job interviews looking like crap even though we may be the best person for the job. Just my opinion of course. Chancey

Resident Conspiracy Theorist
Accused Moron, Nazi, Low IQ, and Putin Fan Boy
Re: Dress culture and church [Re: TrapperTod] #7366841
09/28/21 08:54 PM
09/28/21 08:54 PM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
Originally Posted by TrapperTod
From a Pastor's perspective, I would rather see the people there. Dress is purely a tradition / cultural thing. Think about the people of the Bible. how they lived and dressed. The early church was started by meeting at peoples houses and yards. The day they worshipped by Jewish custom was a work day. They in turn would have probably had on the same clothes they wore to work, not to mention the same ones they might would have had on for several days.. The church as the western world knows it have formulated our own Jesus that conforms to what we want instead of the Jesus of the Bible. I am of the opinion wear what you want, I don't care what clothes you have on, wardrobe will change with the culture, the need for Jesus will never change!

^^^^ This ^^^^^ And of course dress in modest apparel.

Re: Dress culture and church [Re: BuckMink] #7366854
09/28/21 09:01 PM
09/28/21 09:01 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I attended a Catholic funeral in Michigan and a few people had ball caps on their heads. People weren’t dressed for a service either. Not how we pay respect in the South.

Re: Dress culture and church [Re: Leftlane] #7366872
09/28/21 09:15 PM
09/28/21 09:15 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Leftlane

A lady I was going out with for a time in invited me to her church in the city and I was shocked. They had a huge stage with about 30 ppl on it and a light show that you expect to find at a Def Leppard concert 30 years ago. Most of the young ppl wore blue jeans and a lot of them had holes in them.
I won't go again but in their defense I think they averaged a dozen new baptisms every weekend.

I've seen Def Leppard three times. My favorite band but I tend to listen to Galatians or Ephesians nowadays.

Re: Dress culture and church [Re: Chancey] #7366873
09/28/21 09:16 PM
09/28/21 09:16 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Chancey
I remember going to church in the early 80's as a little kid, all the farmers that I saw everyday were in their suit and tie, and it was hard for me to recognize them because they were not wearing overalls which is what I was used to seeing them in. Most of them were poor working folk, but both the men and women put on their best attire to attend. These were the individuals of the greatest generation. Mind you, that this church had no AC or bathroom; there was an outhouse outback though. After Sunday dinner, we would walk home and the men usually went back to farming/ranching or tended to some food they had started that morning and would share with the community.

That kind of community is gone now. I don't think it really matters how dressed up one is to receive the Word of God, BUT I do think, that when we as believers show up to worship the God of the universe and the Creator of the world, then we ought to show some respect. Taking the time to dress nicely once a week to glorify God, and not looking like a ragamuffin when one is praying to the Lord God Almighty, shouldn't be that big of a deal in my opinion; although I really don't think God cares. Clean yourself up and show respect for who put you here. We don't go to a job interviews looking like crap even though we may be the best person for the job. Just my opinion of course. Chancey

I'm with you.

Re: Dress culture and church [Re: BuckMink] #7366917
09/28/21 09:40 PM
09/28/21 09:40 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

From the Book of Job, perhaps the 1st book written in terms of canonical timeline....

Naked I came from my mother’s womb and naked I shall return there.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away.
Blessed be the name of the LORD.

Job 22:6

Pretty much paints an accurate picture of what you wear as you worship God as not mattering one iota.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Dress culture and church [Re: BuckMink] #7366927
09/28/21 09:45 PM
09/28/21 09:45 PM
Oregon
SpottedOwl Offline
trapper
SpottedOwl  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Why do we care what other people wear. If it’s a sign of respect in your eyes, great, dress up. Camo, t-shirt, flip,flops, shorts, who cares. Hearts in the right places and butts in the seats is all we should care about and help facilitate. There’s been times in my life, all I had on was all I had. I didn’t have two pennies to rub together for fancy clothes or even a laundry mat to wash my clothes. I have been looked down on, talked about and "given council" about this. People seem to forget that we have no idea what is happening in someone else’s life. Matthew 7:5 maybe?

Owl

Spend time with your kids while THEY still have time

Your life is an occasion ..... Rise to it
Re: Dress culture and church [Re: ] #7366931
09/28/21 09:50 PM
09/28/21 09:50 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Who are we worshiping and or bowing to when we walk into the sanctuary? If we dress up for those who will judge if we are worthy or dressed right etc. then we have received our reward. I tend to dress moderately for church, as I do for several occasions I attend. Yes it is nice to see good order etc. but maybe 50% of those who claim no church affiliation in the USA today and the almost 80% who do not attend on a regular basis might attend if they felt the visit was not similar to going to the coliseum on a Sunday If they would come and continue to come it would not take too long for them to find ways to fit in with the norms that are there.

Bryce

Re: Dress culture and church [Re: BuckMink] #7366932
09/28/21 09:51 PM
09/28/21 09:51 PM
alabama
BandB Offline
trapper
BandB  Offline
trapper

alabama
A lot of dress up is for the benefit of other parishioners, not God. Also, in the good old days, a lot of people had a "Sunday suit" to help hide the fact they were poor. They didn't want to be embarrassed in front of the other members of the church. I've seen a heap of women/girls wearing clothes that you would usually see on a street corner, walking down the aisle at church. But hey, they were in style.

Re: Dress culture and church [Re: BuckMink] #7366967
09/28/21 10:18 PM
09/28/21 10:18 PM
N Central Kansas
Z
ZionHeritageFarm Offline
trapper
ZionHeritageFarm  Offline
trapper
Z

N Central Kansas
For me, I do dress better than my normal day to day. I have a dark pair or jeans, several different button up shirts, and a special pair of boots. But also for me, and I believe a lot of todays true Christ followers … it is about authenticity.
Also, I am who I am. I don’t put on an act. I try to live a transparent life. I try to please Christ in all that I do. I frequently fail. I fall short. I give Him the glory for the growth I have made. It’s all about Him. When I am raised up to meet Him in the sky.. I seriously doubt if I will be wearing anything anyways.

From Zion, perfect in beauty, God shines forth. Psalms 50:2
Re: Dress culture and church [Re: BuckMink] #7366970
09/28/21 10:20 PM
09/28/21 10:20 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
James. Ch 2 vs 1-4 explains this subject well.

Re: Dress culture and church [Re: BuckMink] #7367202
09/29/21 10:03 AM
09/29/21 10:03 AM
NE
M
Marty B Offline
"arbitrary noob"
Marty B  Offline
"arbitrary noob"
M

NE
Meh, the Tollibaan likes to tell you what you can wear.

Re: Dress culture and church [Re: BuckMink] #7367214
09/29/21 10:14 AM
09/29/21 10:14 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Sunday go to meeting cloths.And what happened to Easter bonnets??

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Dress culture and church [Re: BuckMink] #7367232
09/29/21 10:41 AM
09/29/21 10:41 AM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
The rule here in SW Oklahoma is pretty straightforward ...don't wear the same boots and jeans you just wore feeding cattle . Whether it's Catholic Mass , nondenominational, or whatever, it'll hold true.

Occasionally, my wife will wear a veil for Mass. Think it's the prettiest thing I've ever seen . Makes her look like a Spanish princess, even though she's neither .

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Dress culture and church [Re: BuckMink] #7367243
09/29/21 10:53 AM
09/29/21 10:53 AM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
I'm not a church goer... but people have given up looking nice in publilc for years now. Every time I came to the states and saw how people dressed to go to the airport, I was blown away. I wear a sport coat or at least a nice sweater, but in Seattle they walk around in gym clothes and I've even seen people in pajamas.

It's not just church.

Pete

Last edited by swift4me; 09/29/21 12:17 PM.
Re: Dress culture and church [Re: swift4me] #7367388
09/29/21 02:36 PM
09/29/21 02:36 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted by swift4me
I'm not a church goer... but people have given up looking nice in publilc for years now. Every time I came to the states and saw how people dressed to go to the airport, I was blown away. I wear a sport coat or at least a nice sweater, but in Seattle they walk around in gym clothes and I've even seen people in pajamas.

It's not just church.

Pete

I agree one hundred percent Pete. When my oldest daughter graduated I was dumbfounded. I hadn't been to a graduation in a while and dressed as I do for such momentous occasions in a person's life. Dress pants, a button-up long sleeve shirt, and dress shoes. I'd have worn a tie even but I'm a big dude and I don't like the way ties look on me.

There were other parents with sweats on, shorts on. I don't fit in anymore.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Dress culture and church [Re: Giant Sage] #7367400
09/29/21 03:00 PM
09/29/21 03:00 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Giant Sage
James. Ch 2 vs 1-4 explains this subject well.

I don't think anyone was making a judgement call on someone's station in life, it was more a question of doing your best for God. Flipflops in church seems flippant to me.

Re: Dress culture and church [Re: swift4me] #7367401
09/29/21 03:02 PM
09/29/21 03:02 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by swift4me

It's not just church.

Pete

Sign of decaying society

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread