No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367191
09/29/21 09:50 AM
09/29/21 09:50 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Got to agree with Charles on this one.

Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Choo] #7367208
09/29/21 10:10 AM
09/29/21 10:10 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Choo
Look at school this way. School doesn't teach you the answers to the problems, it teaches you how to find the answers to the problems. As well as build a foundation of knowledge to go off of along the way

Maybe that is the intent, but in my experience many people do not have problem solving skills. Many also lack the reading comprehension and math skills/knowledge to solve problems.

My college education did definitely teach problem solving skills. Probably, because my job after college would require me to solve problems. Unfortunately, college did not give me all the knowledge I needed to solve these problems. I still had to acquire that knowledge on my own.

Last edited by Dirt; 09/29/21 10:12 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367219
09/29/21 10:19 AM
09/29/21 10:19 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
parental involvement is crucial

sadly you can almost tell at a Kindergarten school Christmas concert who's kids will do well in school

without even looking at the kid or the parents

every one was asked to bring cookies for the get together after the concert , the Kinder garden kids sing like 3 songs then go back to the kindergarten rooms and the parents and kids have a cookie , a glass of milk and chat with other parents and the teacher.

my son was in the same school Kindergarten through high school except the years we home schooled . home schooling the ultimate in parental involvement!

what kids were getting al the awards , honors , on the honor roll , same kids who's parents had been involved all the way through starting with cookies in kindergarten. it isn't about the cookies it is about the parents putting in the time and effort for their kids

rarely does a child achieve without support and expectations . if they do you must ask how much higher could they have achieved if they had the parents backing.

nearly always a child fails without support and a lack of expectations.

even if you can't help your kids with their homework because you can barely speak English yourself , supporting them and making sure homework is done and that they know they have your support but also the expectation that they need to put in the effort.

feeding them and getting them in bed and out of bed and dressed and on the bus in time , lettings them know that they are important to you and that their important and taking education seriously.

if you teach the kids with your attitude that education is useless that the teachers are all wrong or that school is a waste of time that is exactly where they will take it.

some schools are obviously better or worse

some teachers better or worse

my oldest had Mrs. M well let me tell you she was , well she should have just retired a year earlier , she was about to retire and I have no idea what was going on in her life but she was done with teaching after 30 years.
I told my daughter it is 3rd grade , you can do it , life isn't fair and your going to have to deal with different people all through your life.
funny thing is she came back as a sub in later years and was like a whole different person. got to know them through church and her and her husband were very nice , I got along with him well. she had just been at the end of her rope , my daughter survived learned a lesson and it was just one school year. I had a witch of a 3rd grade teacher myself Mrs Anderson

sometimes you need that Drill instructor of a teacher unfairly Riding you for every little thing while others get overlooked , it makes you a stronger person. well it works in boot camp.

sadly sometimes they get too hung up on the curriculum and regurgitating info and fail at the thing that many subjects are really there to teach , to learn how to learn.

my daughter graduated 5th in her class a 3 way tie for first , one girl in second and my daughter with a 3.988 in 3rd/5th that can be attributed to gym class she hated gym class and took an A- in it because she refused to wear socks she had a thing against socks that year for some reason. there was also an A- in chemistry. she is on track to be a teacher herself in a couple more years, obviously not PE or chemistry. Art education.

many schools have been struggling with issues for years , decades , what is the real issue , parental involvement, if you fail to have the parents backing the kids the kids are at an immediate handy cap.

will school teach your kids everything , NO, school is a supplement to what you teach them a place to get some basics while your at work so you can teach them how to apply that math , reading , or other subject.

when you hire a baby sitter you don't expect them to be the kids mother or father your hiring some hours of safe childcare , don't expect things a teacher can't provide , then wonder why they fail.

there are some truly bad teachers out there , they also tend not to last very long , they can find a job in corporate training and get paid better with less hassle.

we have done private school , public school , home school , online school , and college they all take parental involvement. when they get to college that changes roles , study and home work is on them , your more of a long distance councilor / life coach when they need help with a life matter. their phone a parent.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 09/29/21 10:23 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367223
09/29/21 10:24 AM
09/29/21 10:24 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I never finished high school. Never been a bum or unable to earn an honest living because of it. I dont regret going to work or have animosity toward people who got a formal education. Like everything else those are personal
choices and people ought to mind their own business unless someone asks them what they think.

There is more than one multi millionaire high school dropout and even more with only a high school education.

If you want a formal education you will have to tolerate classes you have no interest in.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367327
09/29/21 01:02 PM
09/29/21 01:02 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I finished high school and was accepted in 3 universities.
I decided that I wanted to do some learning on my own,so took my university money and travelled and worked around western europe for about a year.
Came back home with a whole new appreciation for Canada and decided I wanted to make my life in a physical job outdoors in the freedom of the bush and on the land-money was not a deciding factor at all.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7367350
09/29/21 01:25 PM
09/29/21 01:25 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
School is meant to teach you to be quiet, sit down and listen. These skills are essential to maintain the next generation of middle class tax cattle.

Yep. Just smart enough to run the machines. Another cog in the wheel.

No Jab.
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: charles] #7367363
09/29/21 01:45 PM
09/29/21 01:45 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by charles
Who among us graduated from high school and/or college, and now wished they hadn’t?

Who retired from the military, and wished they had never joined?

Who retired early, and now wishes they were back at their first job?

Who has group health insurance, paid by their employer, and turned it down? Same for employer funded retirement plan.

Nothing wrong with a good education. Either academic or trade. America doesn’t need anymore unskilled workers. School is not a waste of time. The world is not going backward.

Wife has a nephew who had such a smoking habit he could not sit in class. Dropped out in 10th grade. No skills. Never had a job for more than a year. Longest time he ever worked was in a prison kitchen.

It depends on the post high school program you are in whether it is a waste of time.

Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367371
09/29/21 01:56 PM
09/29/21 01:56 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I personally know two millionaires in the same small town that have 8th grade educations. Back in the day some kids weren't allowed the privilege of going to high school but were plenty smart and hard-working.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: charles] #7367381
09/29/21 02:14 PM
09/29/21 02:14 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by charles
Who among us graduated from high school and/or college, and now wished they hadn’t?

I do. It was a total waste of almost 5 years of my life and a lot of money. That time and money would have been much better spent learning a trade.

That said, it all depends on what you want to do with your life after school. If you want to be a doctor, lawyer, engineer, game warden, etc., you'd best pay attention in school because high school prepares you for college. Read that again. High school prepares you for college. Not life. If you're 100% sure you're going to do a job that does not require a college education, you may as well drop out when you're 16, take your GED, and get on with your training. But most 16 year olds aren't positive what they're going to do after school... so if not, best to stick with it until you make up your mind for certain.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Flicker Shad] #7367384
09/29/21 02:22 PM
09/29/21 02:22 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Flicker Shad
Some yes, some no. Common core has got to go.

Same as CRT.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367387
09/29/21 02:29 PM
09/29/21 02:29 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Online content

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Online Content

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Actually, Angela I don't agree. I think today there is so little in the way of expectations put on students in high school that they are in no way prepared for college. At least that is what we see here. Many, if not most, kids who 'graduate' high school in rural AK, will flunk out of college within the first two semesters.

I think it would be advantageous to require kids to work for a couple years between high school and college. I know I was 23 when I started college. The 18 year olds just out of high school seemed to have a lot more difficulty than the older students.

I also think that more emphasis should be placed on trade schools. Not everyone is destined to be a rocket surgeon.

Mean As Nails
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367422
09/29/21 03:36 PM
09/29/21 03:36 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
My thoughts.
[Linked Image]

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367433
09/29/21 03:49 PM
09/29/21 03:49 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I like the trade school idea too.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367440
09/29/21 04:06 PM
09/29/21 04:06 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Look at that R Kelly guy-multi millionaire and he cant even read or write-totally illiterate.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367447
09/29/21 04:12 PM
09/29/21 04:12 PM
ND
grumley701 Offline
trapper
grumley701  Offline
trapper

ND
Originally Posted by Gone Trappin.
Do you guys think a lot of what is taught in school is pointless?

It is certainly not pointless to those who are indoctrinating the youth...

Pure Blood
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: danny clifton] #7367458
09/29/21 04:23 PM
09/29/21 04:23 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I never finished high school.

Same here, Danny. Life circumstance. My wife graduated summa cum laude from the University of Maine, is a professional and stays clean at work. We've always made about the same amount of money. Hers from the rigorous use of her brain, mine from the rigorous use of my back.

Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367482
09/29/21 05:06 PM
09/29/21 05:06 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Depends on the child, early on, if parents are involved with them, kids usually can't make a go of it alone going to school.

I remember when I was in grade school in the early 60's , right away you were given an aptitude test to place you, from then on you were either a leaner or just getting by.

In 7th grade you were given another and a chance to change class learnings, with parent approval or involvement which ever the case may be, I never had parent approval or even the direction to move to something to learn, I hop scotched through junior high and high school with my hands and mind to solve mechanical problems, about put one test giver into a heart attack one year taking a hands on cognitive test seventh grade, most just used their dominate hand to take the test as it was a timed test, because my last name started a W, I was always in the last group to take tests and usually that group was always watched by everyone waiting to leave for lunch or break, was four of us taking a peg in the square and round hole, so instructions were given, the instructor said go and I used both hands to take the test and finished and was standing there watching others while they were fumbling around with one hand, mind you these were different sized pegs and holes both round and square, probably 25 or 30 of them.
Was asked where I learned to use both hands like this, told them no one said we couldn't, they gave me the test three times again by my self and no one left the room, I did it quicker each time, I never did go back into any kind of intellectual learning, from then on it was shop class's and recognition and use with both hands.

Always liked biology as well as history but never got to visit those rooms, my parents were never around always spaced out on alcohol as well.

Think if I would have had more reading and writing stuff I could have been better in understanding people than arguing with them. I did not have many friends in school because of that cause I was formatted into construction and structural, and mechanic fields.
Been a long road of learning people by my self, some good times some bad, but I've always been paid good because of my ability to work with my hands.

I doubt to this day if I had never been given that test I would never have the life I had because of it, I don't think they even give those tests in any school any more !

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367485
09/29/21 05:08 PM
09/29/21 05:08 PM
CO
R
Ringneck1 Offline
trapper
Ringneck1  Offline
trapper
R

CO
To each their own, I guess, but often that piece of paper from college is worth lots of money.

Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367510
09/29/21 05:51 PM
09/29/21 05:51 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
My wife has a bachelors degree and I have always made more than her. The kids I see today who quit school don’t do it to earn it seems like. I was working 10 pm to 6am Monday through Friday and going to school all day. Finally my dad said you better choose one. I liked the money I was earning.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367514
09/29/21 05:56 PM
09/29/21 05:56 PM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
Many grads today are starting at 200-300,000 a yr. Its not chickenfeed. 20 yrs ago the wall street journal stated that college grads over the course of their lives earn a million more than h.s. grads. My dad died a millionaire...born in 1922 and went to college on the g.i. bill after he got out of the air force(actually army air corp.) He grew up poor and never forgot it. He was driven by growing up poor.
My good friends daughter started at 75000 fresh out of college and earns 175000 a yr plus bonuses. She isnt even in a huge money field.
Its all what you make of it!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread