No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367522
09/29/21 06:11 PM
09/29/21 06:11 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
No education is pointless. Be a sponge and absorb, as much as you can, no one can take the knowledge away from you. The things I learned on the farm plus college carried me thru life. If you do not feel challenged take advanced classes or trade school classes at night. I took welding, heating and AC classes at night to expand my knowledge. Never stop learning.

Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367532
09/29/21 06:37 PM
09/29/21 06:37 PM
CO
R
Ringneck1 Offline
trapper
Ringneck1  Offline
trapper
R

CO
On average college BAC degree holder earns 84% more than a HS degree holder over a lifetime. There are outlying data points anywhere you look. I would say the most important factor in this topic is make sure your kid gets a degree that matters.

Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: white17] #7367536
09/29/21 06:43 PM
09/29/21 06:43 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by white17
Actually, Angela I don't agree. I think today there is so little in the way of expectations put on students in high school that they are in no way prepared for college. At least that is what we see here. Many, if not most, kids who 'graduate' high school in rural AK, will flunk out of college within the first two semesters.

I think it would be advantageous to require kids to work for a couple years between high school and college. I know I was 23 when I started college. The 18 year olds just out of high school seemed to have a lot more difficulty than the older students.

I also think that more emphasis should be placed on trade schools. Not everyone is destined to be a rocket surgeon.

I think today you're probably right. I think it had most to do with home life, more than anything. High school bored me to death. They'd give you a little novel to read and tell you to read 5 pages of it that night. They'd spread a book out over a month. I'd read the book the same day and then have a month to read other books, lol. I ended up dropping out in 10th grade. In NY at the time, they made you wait one calendar year after dropping out before you could take a GED (stupidest law ever), so I worked for a year then took my GED. I took 6-7 classes a semester at a junior college, so that I was able to get my associates in 1.5 years instead of 2, and made the Dean's list 2 of those 3 semesters. When my high school class started college, I was on my last semester there. Had it not been for waiting a year, I'd have been long gone. I was also working 3 jobs when I was doing that. University was more interesting than the junior college was. So, I wish I could have started college even younger than I did (I was 17). But, I agree that a lot of kids today can't even manage to hold down a McDonald's job at 17.

Last edited by yotetrapper30; 09/29/21 06:44 PM.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: yotetrapper30] #7367543
09/29/21 07:00 PM
09/29/21 07:00 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Schools have been mandated to take on many issues along with the educational component and the material or knowledge today is many fold what it was even 1-2 generations ago. Schools may not be doing as good a job as they could in determining what knowledge to teach and what not to teach as the school year and hours have not changed in almost 3 generations. Also today with higher education as an emphasis the success spread or gap is much larger than it was decades ago. We also have grade inflation and parents pressuring to keep their children in the same social groups while they go through school. I don't understand why so many are so against becoming educated and increasing ones awareness of how to learn and how to make choices. You can not even become an officer in the US military today without a 4-year college equivalent degree yet many state why bother?

The business sector better understands the current grade inflation system and thus hire master's degree persons as they have demonstrated more desire to learn and focus.
When I taught at our tech college we had many trade school students and apprenticeship students. Many had good skills but did not pay attention in HS and could not pass routine math, language etc., Lot of remedial course work was needed.

Bryce

Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367546
09/29/21 07:08 PM
09/29/21 07:08 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
You don’t need a degree to make money or get rich. You do,however, need one to do certain jobs. It just depends on what you want to do with your life. You should take what you can from school or any experience in life. The only bad thing is not learning from your experiences and getting forced to do work you don’t like for a living.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7367555
09/29/21 07:29 PM
09/29/21 07:29 PM
NY
R
Rat_Pack Offline
trapper
Rat_Pack  Offline
trapper
R

NY
IMO, learning to read (and comprehend what you read) is the most important thing a person can learn. It's the key to everything else

Re: Thoughts on school? [Re: Rat_Pack] #7367598
09/29/21 08:29 PM
09/29/21 08:29 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Yes pretty hard to use a CAD machine if you can't read, pretty difficult to order supplies for plumbing, carpentry, or electrical work if you can't read, wow that brings up a new opportunity, maybe, making Icons usable in the trades so work can get done.

Bryce

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread