No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Grocery shortages #7372486
10/06/21 12:14 AM
10/06/21 12:14 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline OP
trapper

Oakland, MS
I thought this article was interesting. I really haven't noticed much of a difference here YET but I know some of you were talking about it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-yo...P0j2wqJ3wMfwBhuqzepPjiWzVK_xoZGjCbBff9GM

Grocery-store chains are still battling supply challenges that some executives said are as bad as what they saw in spring 2020, when hoarding left holes in stocks of some staples.

Industry executives say new problems are arising weekly, driven by shortages of labor and raw materials. Groceries including frozen waffles and beverages remain scarce as some food companies anticipate disruptions lasting into 2022. A wider range of products is running short and logistical challenges are compounding for many retailers.

Donny Rouse, chief executive of Louisiana-based Rouses Markets, said he is struggling to fill shelves as his company runs low on everything from pet food to canned goods. The chain of more than 60 supermarkets is sometimes receiving as little as 40% of what it orders, prompting Mr. Rouse and his staff to try to secure products earlier and more often. Before the pandemic, Rouses received well over 90% of its orders.

“It is difficult for customers to get everything they want to get,” said Mr. Rouse, grandson of the chain’s founder.

With Rouses Markets short on Lunchables, an employee in Metairie, La., prepared for the grocery store its own snack-food combinations.

Many grocery chains said that it is hard to predict how complete or on-time their deliveries will be due to limited guidance from suppliers, and executives said there is often little recourse when trucks show up with a fraction of what was ordered. Demand is higher than expected by retailers, with monthly sales up about 14% from two years ago and 3% from a year ago, according to data from research firm IRI.

To keep stores stocked, retailers are rethinking when and how to procure products they sell. Some are carrying fewer flavors or sizes, selling different brands and gathering inventory whenever possible. Regional and smaller grocers are struggling more than the biggest chains, industry executives said.

Albertsons ACI -2.09% Cos. and other big grocers said they are also feeling the impact of labor and commodity challenges but that their supply picture has improved since last year. Some, including Ahold Delhaize USA, said they have greater control of their inventory because they have their own vehicles and drivers.

After stores ran short of toilet paper and canned soup in the early days of the pandemic, food manufacturers now are confronting new problems. Resin, aluminum and other raw materials used for packaging are running short, and many producers are giving priority to their most popular items, retailers said. Industry executives said manufacturers are unable to produce enough items to meet demand, with many employees staying home because of the coronavirus or because they have received rounds of stimulus checks. Advocates of the stimulus aid have said such federal coronavirus-relief efforts shield households from sudden income drops and help low earners.

Kraft Heinz Co. KHC 0.49% ’s Lunchables have been tough to get, and Rouses now is making its own version with crackers, cheese, grapes and meat. Canned tomato goods have also been running low. When Rouses recently received 40% of its orders for Conagra Brands Inc.’s CAG 0.73% Hunt’s products, the chain got more private-label products to fill the gap, said Jason Martinolich, Rouses’ vice president of center store. It has also secured more products from other brands, but the grocer is offering less variety than it used to.

Kraft Heinz said there is a record demand for Lunchables, with sales growing in double digits for the first time in five years. The company said that it is proactively managing the supply chain and that it is getting more products to customers.

Rouses, like other grocery stores, doesn’t always know what products it will get from suppliers.

Conagra said its inventory of some Hunt’s items will be low until it can package more tomatoes from this year’s harvest, adding that demand for the products is unprecedented.

Mr. Rouse said he and his team are asking some manufacturers to send products directly from plants. They also check shelves of Rouses’ competitors and ask manufacturers why rivals have products that his stores lack. Those efforts don’t always alleviate his challenges, though.

“Every grocery store is doing the same thing,” Mr. Rouse said.

Many food sellers said they expect the flow of groceries to stay spotty for the near future. Walmart Inc. WMT 0.66% and other major buyers of food have reinstated penalty fees for late and incomplete orders that they paused last spring, but that hasn’t improved supply challenges.

“Every day, overall, stores are ordering 10% more than what we can get for them,” said David Smith, CEO of Associated Wholesale Grocers Inc., which supplies food for Rouses and other regional and independent grocers across the country.

Many grocery chains, including Rouses, say it is hard to predict how complete or on-time their deliveries will be these days.
The biggest chains are faring better, Mr. Smith said, because they make up a greater portion of manufacturers’ business and are receiving more than their proportionate share. New issues are arising every season for others, such as shortages of sports beverages in the summer or string cheese ahead of the fall, grocery executives said.

Consumers are adjusting to the new norm, retailers said. Quincy, Mass.-based Stop & Shop Supermarket LLC, owned by Ahold Delhaize, is lowering prices of substitutes for items that are running low.

Keith Milligan, controller of Piggly Wiggly stores in Alabama and Georgia, recently secured chicken from a pork supplier after receiving incomplete orders. The alternative breasts, wings and thighs were much larger than what Piggly Wiggly typically sells, but most have sold.

Amber Edwards, a mother of two who lives in Huntsville, Ala., said she has driven this summer to multiple supermarkets in her area for large packs of cherry Gatorade but has only found small sizes of other flavors.

“The shelves are empty, and online they are always out of stock,” Ms. Edwards said, adding that she has been buying whatever she can find.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372497
10/06/21 12:50 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Lots of shortages now the wife called about a new mower looking for a Toro nothing in stock and no clue when they will be getting any in.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372498
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I saw yesterday that grocery stores nationwide, not just Rouse's, are receiving just 40% of what they order. About 1/3rd of the items Diane tried to buy last week were not available. We had to go to 4 different stores to find dog food and could only get 2 bags of the feed we normally use. It's pretty bad when you can't reliably buy chicken, bread, dog food and groundbeef locally anymore.

It looks like the bigger city stores are better stocked. Our closer stores have many bare spaces on the shelves.

I think people will likely be freezing, unable to drive from lack of fuel and starving soon.

Anyone who saves money is going to take severe losses of wealth due to inflation.

Keith

Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372509
10/06/21 02:43 AM
10/06/21 02:43 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
I’ve been saying for a while America is starting to look like those Slavic or USSR countries in the eighties where the grocery store shelves were always mostly empty. You cannot rely anymore on just running to the store and getting what you want. It’s going to get worse before any hope of straightening out.

Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372513
10/06/21 04:51 AM
10/06/21 04:51 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
my wife works as a cook at school , her boss order 28 items [food] them can only get 11 of what they order, this week they ran out of plates [Styrofoam]

Re: Grocery shortages [Re: kytrapper] #7372529
10/06/21 05:47 AM
10/06/21 05:47 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
Originally Posted by kytrapper
I’ve been saying for a while America is starting to look like those Slavic or USSR countries in the eighties where the grocery store shelves were always mostly empty. You cannot rely anymore on just running to the store and getting what you want. It’s going to get worse before any hope of straightening out.

well, when you vote for the same policies that those countries did, you shouldn't be surprised at getting the same results...

Re: Grocery shortages [Re: white marlin] #7372553
10/06/21 06:50 AM
10/06/21 06:50 AM
SD
T
TC1 Offline
trapper
TC1  Offline
trapper
T

SD
Originally Posted by white marlin

well, when you vote for the same policies that those countries did, you shouldn't be surprised at getting the same results...

^ We have a winner! Exactly correct.

Long live the MAGA King
Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372556
10/06/21 06:58 AM
10/06/21 06:58 AM
Arkansas
J
J Staton Offline
trapper
J Staton  Offline
trapper
J

Arkansas
Noticed this the other day while picking up some things for my bride.

James 1: 19-20
Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372577
10/06/21 07:31 AM
10/06/21 07:31 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
I’ve heard the same thing. Its getting to be a everything shortage out here. I went to the place we buy our center pivot parts the other day. After talking to him about supplies at their headquarters. I took a walk through the warehouse with him behind me with pen and pad. I’ll take that pallet and that pallet and that pallet….

I paid for a Speed Queen washer and dryer set for the wife that was supposed to be here the first week of September they said I might get the washer at the end of the month and the dryer by Christmas

Last edited by Pawnee; 10/06/21 07:33 AM.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372596
10/06/21 08:06 AM
10/06/21 08:06 AM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Welcome to the new communist version of America comrades. Buddy own's his own towing company and has ordered the same part from two different place's for his big rig truck and both after a couple of weeks have refunded him his money back cause they have no idea when if ever they will get the part in! And a/c's, washer's dryer's, etc, etc. is the same way.

Strange world we're living in now.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372622
10/06/21 08:50 AM
10/06/21 08:50 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Online sick
trapper
run  Online Sick
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I feel this strange times we are living in have actually been helpful for farmers that do direct marketing. My family goes to a pastured chicken producer to buy cracked eggs. Sometimes he is sold out too. So we go to his brother's farm.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372631
10/06/21 08:58 AM
10/06/21 08:58 AM
Illinois
foxkidd44 Offline
trapper
foxkidd44  Offline
trapper

Illinois
now, now......ya'lls getting hasty........joe said hes gonna fix it.................said something like " build back better". hes just gotta pass a few more bills is all. then we will be ok.

Stand by your principles, Stand by your guns, and victory complete and permanent is sure at last.
Abraham Lincoln
Re: Grocery shortages [Re: white marlin] #7372633
10/06/21 09:00 AM
10/06/21 09:00 AM
NE
M
Marty B Offline
"arbitrary noob"
Marty B  Offline
"arbitrary noob"
M

NE

Hey, at least there's no mean tweets.

Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372640
10/06/21 09:04 AM
10/06/21 09:04 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Well relying for decades on imports will get this result

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372643
10/06/21 09:08 AM
10/06/21 09:08 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Read a newspaper story from Denver last week. 25 year old truck driver coming off the pass on I 70 is charged with homicide. At 25 I am confident he was a rookie. Automatic transmission in his truck. Would not shift out of neutral . In neutral the engine brake would not come on. Not enough experience to stop before he over heated his brakes. No one ever told him you can run your truck up the side of the mountain and tip it over. Traffic was stopped at the bottom. He took the shoulder but so had some 4 wheelers.

Driver shortage IMO caused this. Lack of training and auto transmissions to get drivers out there faster. Only one part of the puzzle but transportation problems are definitely playing a part.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372656
10/06/21 09:17 AM
10/06/21 09:17 AM
Oregon
SpottedOwl Offline
trapper
SpottedOwl  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Not just grocery stores. Getting hard to feed kids too by the looks of things. I hear a lot about the supply chain. It’s not just a driver problem if the trucks aren’t even filled to start with.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/school-lunch-supply-chain-issues-struggle-to-feed-students/

Owl

Spend time with your kids while THEY still have time

Your life is an occasion ..... Rise to it
Re: Grocery shortages [Re: danny clifton] #7372687
10/06/21 09:56 AM
10/06/21 09:56 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Online sick
trapper
run  Online Sick
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Read a newspaper story from Denver last week. 25 year old truck driver coming off the pass on I 70 is charged with homicide. At 25 I am confident he was a rookie. Automatic transmission in his truck. Would not shift out of neutral . In neutral the engine brake would not come on. Not enough experience to stop before he over heated his brakes. No one ever told him you can run your truck up the side of the mountain and tip it over. Traffic was stopped at the bottom. He took the shoulder but so had some 4 wheelers.

Driver shortage IMO caused this. Lack of training and auto transmissions to get drivers out there faster. Only one part of the puzzle but transportation problems are definitely playing a part.

I see truck drivers smoking their brakes on US 33 pretty regular.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372695
10/06/21 10:02 AM
10/06/21 10:02 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Training of new drivers is a bad problem today. Often you have one rookie training another. To many old guys got fed up with it all. They are taking the local jobs so computer spying is not a federal requirement.

Last edited by danny clifton; 10/06/21 10:03 AM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372697
10/06/21 10:04 AM
10/06/21 10:04 AM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
The whole systems upside down. Ordered some items from a company I have used before usually takes about three days. This time because of shipping problems it has been 8 days and after tracking the package it has gone from Mo.to Florida to Georgia to another town in Georgia to Nevada and last heard it was in Utah delivery date to Ky. is supposed to be Friday?

Re: Grocery shortages [Re: yotetrapper30] #7372703
10/06/21 10:21 AM
10/06/21 10:21 AM
Wisconsin
lindner115 Offline
trapper
lindner115  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
I'm a machinist at a large clothes merchant in WI, we are leasing 3 freight jets to go to Vietnam to get our product, otherwise we wouldn't have items for our peak season. Usually comes in the cans on a freight ship.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread