Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: trapline dogs [Re: nightlife] #7378843
10/14/21 09:09 AM
10/14/21 09:09 AM
mo.
N
nate Offline
trapper
nate  Offline
trapper
N

mo.
Originally Posted by nightlife
Originally Posted by plainstrapping25
I would like to know. What is hands down the best breed and gender for a trapping dog. Would like to get one. Thank you

That question is kind of like asking what kind of car is best

It’s seems I have always had a dog along when running traps, as I have gotten older and more experienced those dogs have gotten better as well

In my opinion trapline dogs are made not by some certain breed but by training and aptitude, some will pick up the skills so quick it’s scary and some not so much, but few will be untrainable, most will be passing fair and a very few will completely fail except as a companion and some will even fail as that

So pick a breed that you like and has traits you like and start training them to do what you want them to do, doesn’t even have to be a pure breed, some of the best I have worked with were pure mutts of such mixed ancestry as to be untraceable as to family tree

So pick a puppy and start from there, I bet dollars to doughnuts you end up with a trapline partner you will be more then happy with

Start as soon as you get him/her home, o not with long lessons but with short simple basic things such as house training and what is and is not allowed and slowly advance lessons as they mature, introducing trapline skills you want them to have as you do, don’t forget to train for NO and STOP by which I mean STOP moving not stop doing whatever there doing which is no, or whatever word you want to us as a command

Dogs are amazing animals and can learn to do amazing things if you work at it and in my experience the earlier they start learning the more and easier they pick things up as well as faster, just don’t overload them before their ready when their pups keep it shot and simple, as pups their attention span is short in fact very short so keep it short as well, then as their attention and focus grows lengthen and add more complex skills, and you will find you can teach them to do just about anything, Heck after a while they will start teaching you

I say this here but don't start working them on game till they get mentally ready, the first 8 to10 months let them run loose as much as possible only do the obedience training, then once they start getting after critters start teaching what's not excepical.

Re: trapline dogs [Re: plainstrapping25] #7381972
10/18/21 04:07 PM
10/18/21 04:07 PM
Sverige
S
Skrak Offline
trapper
Skrak  Offline
trapper
S

Sverige
This is one of the most interesting threads I´ve read, thanks plainstrapping25 for starting it.

Is there anyone with experience of trapline dogs when trapping for mink?

Re: trapline dogs [Re: plainstrapping25] #7382217
10/18/21 09:25 PM
10/18/21 09:25 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Can't hunt mink with dogs her in MN.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: trapline dogs [Re: Skrak] #7382255
10/18/21 09:59 PM
10/18/21 09:59 PM
NE
P
plainstrapping25 Offline OP
trapper
plainstrapping25  Offline OP
trapper
P

NE
Originally Posted by Skrak
This is one of the most interesting threads I´ve read, thanks plainstrapping25 for starting it.

Is there anyone with experience of trapline dogs when trapping for mink?

Your most welcome. And thank you everyone for there insight. Still trying to decide on what I would be best suited for. Dont want a lab cause they tend to jump in water and don't need that when water trapping. And don't want a beagle cause they run off alot. I will figure it out. Lol

Re: trapline dogs [Re: plainstrapping25] #7382498
10/19/21 09:11 AM
10/19/21 09:11 AM
Northern Illinois
MuddyMike Offline
trapper
MuddyMike  Offline
trapper

Northern Illinois
go to the pound and find a dog that you get along with and that wants to be with you when out of the kennel. one they will already be used to a kennel if thats what you use also when you break it down most dogs want to please their owner the pack leader. you treat that dog well and i believe that most will treat you well. my buddy has a pitbull mix not sure with what looks like a pitbull just not as stocky. that dog lives to make my buddy happy and can sense when my buddy is not. he rescued that dog when he was i think 4 or 5 years old and took it on a 2 month road trip they spent every second together for that 2 months camping and hiking and he learned quick what tyler wanted and expected of him. turned into a great companion. whatever you choose just make sure you spend as much time with it as you can and teach it what you expect of it. im sure it will work out for ya

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91