No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7374935
10/09/21 01:46 AM
10/09/21 01:46 AM
NW Wisconsin
M
Muskrat Love Offline
trapper
Muskrat Love  Offline
trapper
M

NW Wisconsin
Pete... the most important thing you said was "wife is on board".

This will be the key to,your success. You have to be a team!

56 years here!

God Bless!

"I'm an old dog, and these are all new tricks!"
Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7374939
10/09/21 02:54 AM
10/09/21 02:54 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
The food pyramid the government has told us to eat was bad information. Thats why 70-80 % of Americans are becoming insulin resistant. (prediabetic)

I am thin 6' 2" 190lb and always figured I could eat anything I wanted and its true ,I didnt get fat just a inch or two around the midsection even though I exercise. Its a fatty nonalcoholic liver I find out..

I had to get a tooth pulled in the Philippines couple years ago, it broke biting down on a BB eating a goose at home before I left. They would not pull my tooth because I was informed I had high blood pressure. I came home pulled it myself (didn't bleed to death). I had the headaches associated with High blood pressure and generally crappy feeling, (they gave me meds I didnt take them.) so just recently I watched some youtube videos' on the Keto diet that said it will lower your blood pressure too. Lots of success stories in the comment section, folks losing lots of weight on the diet.

I didnt need to lose weight but figured why not try it . So just a month ago I started no sugar very low carb no fruit only berries, no bread, no rice, no potatoes, no flour no grains and vegetable oil or soy. after a month I lost about 10 bs and never felt better. No more headaches, foggy brain. Not tired after I eat. My joint pain all but went away. I had patches of eczema for years no medication would help, cleared right up.

I also do fasting. I dont eat my first meal until about 4:30 and then again before bed.

I am sticking with the diet for now the benefits have been awesome.

You dont have to go without really just have to change ingredients. I use almond flour and coconut flour and monk fruit sugar and make cakes and anything else I want low carb.

I learned to make my own chocolate I could not give that up. so I have Reases peanut butter cups now too .

You can eat all the good fat you want, cheese butter, olive oil, coconut oil, whipped cream butter, eggs are good, all you want. stay away from dairy if you have prostate issues ,that will help that.

Grass fed meat and dairy is said to be best. I eat moose and that's grass fed, and free range my own eggs. Fish ,especially wild caught salmon is very good for you.

Drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed in lemon water before dinner, its proven to temporarily lower insulin spikes after eating.

Salt your food to taste. Humans need salt just like animals. A new study involving 26 countries observed the salt intake. The lowest heart disease was the countries that ate 4- 5 teaspoons of salt per day.

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7374961
10/09/21 06:21 AM
10/09/21 06:21 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
prediabetic, for years , cut out potatoes' ,and [a1c] drop to 5. lows it been in years, never ate many carb's , but cut back on the few I ate, I always exercise now I do more , drop 30 pounds since January, life is good smile

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7374968
10/09/21 06:47 AM
10/09/21 06:47 AM
PA Venango Co.
R
Ron Marsh Offline
trapper
Ron Marsh  Offline
trapper
R

PA Venango Co.
balance physical work with food intake. Lots of water. is what works with me. Sent with prayer.

PTA Lifetime #131N. Salvation Army CSM
Stakes: Why leave them?
ALWAYS John 3:16 814-516-2923
Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7374974
10/09/21 06:57 AM
10/09/21 06:57 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
My chemo side effect im taking for my luekemia well it drove up my blood glucose so I had to make diet changes fast. Mediterranean diet cookbooks are a big part of our meal plans. Lots of veggies, fruits, chicken, fish. Grill or bake, or roast but dont fry.
Exercise a lot too. Got my glucose back too under 100 most days. I do stick my finger and test daily.
I shop at Trader Joe's a lot. Many of their breads are low carb no sugar added. They have a no sugar peanut butter too. I get to have toast and peanut butter again with this stuff.
Eggs are great, cheeses, try almond milk unsweetened in your coffee it works.
Chickpeas are good.
Found some non-sugar cured beef jerky too.
Just got to hunt for stuff and watch labels.
I still enjoy a baked potato now and then. Small red or two with no fixens. I'm down 30 lbs since March.
I also started running again. Got a half marathon in 15 days...my 26th one. Cant wait, feels good to be back at it and I will be 56 in February.
You got this.

Last edited by jabNE; 10/09/21 07:00 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: jabNE] #7374978
10/09/21 07:03 AM
10/09/21 07:03 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by jabNE
My chemo side effect im taking for my luekemia well it drove up my blood glucose so I had to make diet changes fast. Mediterranean diet cookbooks are a big part of our meal plans. Lots of veggies, fruits, chicken, fish. Grill or bake, or roast but dont fry.
Exercise a lot too. Got my glucose back too under 100 most days. I do stick my finger and test daily.
I shop at Trader Joe's a lot. Many of their breads are low carb no sugar added. They have a no sugar peanut butter too. I get to have toast and peanut butter again with this stuff.
Eggs are great, cheeses, try almond milk unsweetened in your coffee it works.
Chickpeas are good.
Found some non-sugar cured beef jerky too.
Just got to hunt for stuff and watch labels.
I still enjoy a baked potato now and then. Small red or two with no fixens. I'm down 30 lbs since March.
I also started running again. Got a half marathon in 15 days...my 26th one. Cant wait, feels good to be back at it and I will be 56 in February.
You got this.

grin

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7374982
10/09/21 07:11 AM
10/09/21 07:11 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
And you really have to watch where they sneak a lot of sugar at us. Ketchup is full of it. So are most cure meats like ham and bacon.
Pay attention to labels, watch what you eat when you got out especially.

West River Rogue...how you doing, man? grin

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7374985
10/09/21 07:23 AM
10/09/21 07:23 AM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Im alive and kicking doing the dad thing daily. Waiting the rest of the crops to come off . Gonna take son out today for an outing. The quiet times of life. grin

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7375033
10/09/21 08:50 AM
10/09/21 08:50 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
There are tons of low carb items on the market today. A few I can think of that are very good are the entire line of G Hughes sauces, marinades and condiments, Lewis Keto bread and buns, and Extreme Wellness tortillas.

I agree with people that said you're basically going to be eating a low carb lifestyle. I see a lot saying to do Keto. Keto is basically eating less than 20 net carbs a day. It's hard to follow, but after a while you DO feel better. However, there ARE some precautions, so I highly recommend researching the downsides of Keto before starting it. If you're doing Keto you'll probably need to take some supplements like magnesium and potassium because Keto causes the electrolytes in your body to drop. You WILL need a fiber supplement unless you eat a lot of leafy green vegetables. When you cut out things like bread, pasta, potatoes, etc., you're cutting out all of your sources of fiber except those that come from veggies. I did Keto for a while, and not knowing better, didn't take a Fiber supplement. I also don't eat hardly any veggies, and no leafy green ones. I ended up in the hospital for a week+ with a torn intestine due to it. So, millions of people do Keto, and it can and does work, but please read up on it a bit before jumping in.

I imagine your insurance would cover a few meetings with a Nutritionist, and that would be the best bet for finding out what way of eating is best for you.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7375098
10/09/21 10:15 AM
10/09/21 10:15 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Hardest to give up was beer and about any alcohol for that matter. Low carb beer still uses tons of sugar for fermentation to feed the yeast.

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7375163
10/09/21 12:30 PM
10/09/21 12:30 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Green county Pete , sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I wish you good luck dealing with diabetes.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7375169
10/09/21 12:38 PM
10/09/21 12:38 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
We found keto to stringent for us. We do a low carb, cut out refined flours totally.
We have little cheats that don't seem to hurt our weight loss. Eat salads and veggies.
I personally find the Atkins bars and shakes helpful. Many time do coffee then water
In the morning, Atkins shakes and nuts for lunch and one meal a day at day supper.

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7375273
10/09/21 04:19 PM
10/09/21 04:19 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Stay away from Metformin.

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7375299
10/09/21 05:24 PM
10/09/21 05:24 PM
Mn
R
Reaperman Offline
trapper
Reaperman  Offline
trapper
R

Mn
It would help many if there was truth in food labels that disguise sugar in other ways. Like "no added sugar" but instead corn syrup is used. Corn syrup is cheaper and has a higher sugar content than pure sugar, that's why its used in soft drinks. When reading lables look for words ending in "ose". Those are substitutes that basically mean sugar. Look for foods with low numbers on the glycemic index, the lower the number, the slower the sugar is released into your body. Like others have mentioned, fiber is important. Its hard to get the recommended daily amount of fiber, but do your best. Metamucil or generic, power can be added to any beverage without effecting the taste. Some people like protein bars with high fiber like Quest bars. They aren't the cheapest but they have a lot of flavors and taste great. Watch Amazon for sales on 12 pack, a lot of time they are half price. Also, dark chocolate is considered healthy, the higher the percent the better it is for you, id go no less than 80 or 85%. Eaten with coffee will cut out the bitter taste. After getting accustomed to dark chocolate, you will find regular chocolate to be way to sweet for your liking. Aldies has good 85% chocolate for a reasonable price. I'm not diabetic, but I started to eat healthier about 5 yrs ago and decided sugar is no good for our bodies. Its hard to avoid it in our culture but I try to control the unnecessary amount if possible. Another thing, Gatorade zero hits the spot if your looking for a refreshing drink. I have a friend who is a Dr, he says zero has all of the same stuff the regular Gatorade has without the added sugar. For snack foods, unsalted peanuts contain unsaturated fat vs saturated fat which is your enemy. Most kinds of nuts are healthy, but peanuts are more pocket book friendly. Exercise when possible, best of luck.

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: west river rogue] #7375650
10/10/21 06:34 AM
10/10/21 06:34 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Originally Posted by west river rogue
Just had Drs checkup A1c had dropped to 6.1 from diabetic type 2 to pre-diabetes. Fish and lots of salads for this fat boy.

Way to go Steve you can't do much better than that!

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: Scott__aR] #7375896
10/10/21 12:52 PM
10/10/21 12:52 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Scott__aR
Seems ridiculous to take drugs to counter the affects of other drugs.

GCP: You haven't mentioned this but it just occurred to me that it MIGHT apply in your case.

There is evidence that shows that statin drugs sometimes interfere with insulin. The statin can cause your body to become less sensitive to insulin and therefore more vulnerable to diabetes.

Anyway.........if you do take statins, your doc or docs, all need to know that. They need to decide whether the benefit from the statin is greater than the potential side effect.

Mean As Nails
Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7375925
10/10/21 02:17 PM
10/10/21 02:17 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
no I am not on statins

I am on xarelto and a quick search shows people saying they had been under control type 2 diabetics and when they started on xarelto the numbers spiked

I am finding that I can be 120 ish at bed time having been 3 hours post meal , then take my xarelto and wake up 160-170 having eaten nothing it may be late morning having eaten nothing before I start to come back down , then lunch and dinner are having very little effect on my sugar numbers

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 10/10/21 02:21 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7375958
10/10/21 03:32 PM
10/10/21 03:32 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Try walking for an hour in the morning before breakfast and after dinner. Keep a good pace until you reach 4 mph. I use that time to listen to podcasts or audio books.

Re: new diabetic , what are your recipes [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7375993
10/10/21 04:18 PM
10/10/21 04:18 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Good idea, Pike River.