No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Georgia Youth Season #7375761
10/10/21 09:40 AM
10/10/21 09:40 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Heys guys, my family has a group text we use to check in on each other and let each other know about our day due to many that live out of State. Here’s my text last night after the hunt. Just remember, whoever coined the phrase “It’s better to give than receive” never spoke any more truer words…

Today was opening day of the Ga Youth season.
We carried CJ this morning and had deer but the fog sorta messed us up. It’s no big deal because CJ can hunt anytime he wants on some very nice places.

A buddy of ours puts on a Youth Hunt for let’s say underprivileged kids. Not necessarily poor, but those that want to experience the outdoors, but never really get a chance.

I was paired up with a young man named Cody Conley. Very shy little red headed middle schooler. We had all met up at a guys cabin and had a lunch for them and talked gun safety, where to shoot a deer, practiced with a .22 then let them get comfortable with the rifles they’d be using to shoot deer with by just dry firing and getting used to the trigger. My young man probably didn’t say 10 words other than “Yes sir” or “No sir” on our drive to the plantation.
I finally realized I needed to word my questions different to get him talking, lol.
We finally connected the last little bit of the drive and once in the stand.
We got to see three gobblers and a decent 6pt but he offered no shot.
With about 30 minutes of shooting light left we finally had a couple does walk out.
Everything was going good and I thought it was about to happen and he looked at me and whispered he couldn’t do it.
I told him it’s entirely up to him…this is YOUR hunt. I said we can sit back and take pictures and yell BANG if he wants. He took his ear muffs off and we laid the rifle down.
We watched them for a few minutes and I fist bumped him and told him this was a great hunt. All of a sudden he picked up the ear muffs and put them on and said I’m ready now. I told him he didn’t have to if he didn’t want to, but he was a determined young man now.
I’ll be honest, I don’t remember the boom or anything! All I saw was that deer pile drive into the deck about about 30 yards from where he shot her.
We fist bumped, high 5’ed, and I hugged that youngun until I almost choked him out.
We sat there a moment and he got this look of remorse. I told him it was ok…hunting I can teach to anyone, killing on the other hand is a very delicate matter. I told him it’s alright for a man to cry in the woods…and we did.
Not so much from remorse for taking a life, but all the emotions that flood your soul when you do. We both made our peace with the deer before we ever got out of the stand.

Come to find out, he had been hunting once before and got scope bit that left a scar to this day. Luckily I had him shooting my personal rifle, and I don’t buy cheap scopes. Found out when his Aunt came to pick him up that he’s lived with his aunt and uncle since he was 3 years old. Don’t have a clue where or who his parents are. Don’t even know if he has their last name or his aunt and uncles.
What I do know is he is an excellent student, and and excellent shot.
I really hope he gets to come back next year and if he hasn’t gotten to go again and take a buck, I hope I’m his guide again when he does.

Sorry so long…sometimes we just don’t realize how great a life we live until you get to share yours with someone else.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Georgia Youth Season [Re: Wanna Be] #7375790
10/10/21 10:13 AM
10/10/21 10:13 AM
SE Missouri.
P
Pirogue Offline
trapper
Pirogue  Offline
trapper