No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
old pistol training video #7377704
10/12/21 07:47 PM
10/12/21 07:47 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
interesting to see what has and hasn't changed

they flag each other with the muzzle needlessly and do a lot of one handed standing shooting tea cup and saucer grip when kneeling or prone

the opening close up of the trigger being pulled the guy is bouncing/slapping the trigger , we now teach hold it back till the slide is forward then shoot off the reset

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: old pistol training video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7377706
10/12/21 07:55 PM
10/12/21 07:55 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Man, I wish I could get my hands on a couple of cases of tracer rounds!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: old pistol training video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7377770
10/12/21 09:01 PM
10/12/21 09:01 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the difference in how we handle the index finger not being placed on the trigger as part of the grip now vs then years of Negligent Discharge changed that I am sure

as well as the closing of the non shooting eye today we teach both eyes open

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: old pistol training video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7377987
10/13/21 07:50 AM
10/13/21 07:50 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
That first guy they showed close up looks like a young Clint Eastwood.Wonder if they hired him for the video? smile

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: old pistol training video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7377998
10/13/21 08:04 AM
10/13/21 08:04 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Cup and saucer worked then works now

Re: old pistol training video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7378024
10/13/21 08:58 AM
10/13/21 08:58 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
the difference in how we handle the index finger not being placed on the trigger as part of the grip now vs then years of Negligent Discharge changed that I am sure

Seen that video some time ago, pretty much how my dad taught me to shoot though my style has changed over the years, but I still close one eye otherwise I just can’t see he sights due to eye problems

Dad for years shoot bullseye with his old service 1911 and walked away a winner every time he competed, got to the point the other competitors were grumbling as soon as he entered the area about him always winning and he still shot just that way

[Linked Image]

Of course he did upgrade it over the years, collectors have turned pale when they get a look at it because it was made in 1918 with US property marks and all matching except for grips, barrel, sights, bushing

But heck back then you could go into many gun stores and pick one out of one of those fiber barrels for 25 dollars or so, wish I knew the. What I do now I would have invested in the entire barrel or 2

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: old pistol training video [Re: jbyrd63] #7378093
10/13/21 10:24 AM
10/13/21 10:24 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by jbyrd63

if you change the grip you can significantly cut that split time down. you want 2 rounds in a target ,how about putting 2 much closer together in less time and already be on the 3rd target before the other guy is finishing the second.

if your ability to shoot fast and accurate is what is keeping you alive you want to be the fastest most accurate shooter you can be , don't handicap yourself with a grip that doesn't manage recoil at all.

Col. Jeff Cooper re-wrote the manual on handgun shooting after WWII it wasn't because cup and saucer was the best that he quit training it.

Re: old pistol training video [Re: nightlife] #7378114
10/13/21 10:47 AM
10/13/21 10:47 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by nightlife

Seen that video some time ago, pretty much how my dad taught me to shoot though my style has changed over the years, but I still close one eye otherwise I just can’t see he sights due to eye problems

Dad for years shoot bullseye with his old service 1911 and walked away a winner every time he competed, got to the point the other competitors were grumbling as soon as he entered the area about him always winning and he still shot just that way

[Linked Image]

Of course he did upgrade it over the years, collectors have turned pale when they get a look at it because it was made in 1918 with US property marks and all matching except for grips, barrel, sights, bushing

But heck back then you could go into many gun stores and pick one out of one of those fiber barrels for 25 dollars or so, wish I knew the. What I do now I would have invested in the entire barrel or 2

That trigger isn't original either.I too have my Dads WWII .45.All original.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: old pistol training video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7378126
10/13/21 10:56 AM
10/13/21 10:56 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by jbyrd63

if you change the grip you can significantly cut that split time down. you want 2 rounds in a target ,how about putting 2 much closer together in less time and already be on the 3rd target before the other guy is finishing the second.

if your ability to shoot fast and accurate is what is keeping you alive you want to be the fastest most accurate shooter you can be , don't handicap yourself with a grip that doesn't manage recoil at all.

Col. Jeff Cooper re-wrote the manual on handgun shooting after WWII it wasn't because cup and saucer was the best that he quit training it.

I agree but also I never discount an old guy shooting old school, some like my dad could be downright scary in just how fast they can get into action not to mention how fast and accurate they can lay them in there, when I have the time I’ll tell you of the game warden friend of my dads who got into a shootout with a carload of 5 criminals and came out ahead even though they were heavily armed and all he had was a 22 S&W model 17

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: old pistol training video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7378188
10/13/21 12:15 PM
10/13/21 12:15 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
that would be a good story

If your old and old school shooting is muscle memory for you , keep on

but if you have room to improve and want to , just because it worked 70 years ago doesn't mean it is the best

you would have to be really old for teacup and saucer to have been the best thing around when you were taught

Cooper started teaching the two handed grip in the 1950s

Re: old pistol training video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7378216
10/13/21 12:45 PM
10/13/21 12:45 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
I would be curious to know when terms like ergonomics or ergonomically correct and I bet it wasn't in 1911!

I am probably more of a revolver guy but I can pick up a 1911 and keep pace with some pretty good shooters. It fits my square palm and relatively short fingers.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: old pistol training video [Re: Leftlane] #7378239
10/13/21 01:11 PM
10/13/21 01:11 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Leftlane
I would be curious to know when terms like ergonomics or ergonomically correct and I bet it wasn't in 1911!

I am probably more of a revolver guy but I can pick up a 1911 and keep pace with some pretty good shooters. It fits my square palm and relatively short fingers.

my hand is big enough that the square butt of the 1911 digs into my palm I can shoot them but it isn't my goto gun

Re: old pistol training video [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7378244
10/13/21 01:19 PM
10/13/21 01:19 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the two major things are they trust gun to be unloaded and they put their finger on the trigger right away

Funny those be the first 3 of Jeff coopers rules when he re-wrote the manual on handgun shooting for the Marine corps

1. All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
3. Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
4. Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

I am going to bet he had to write a few reports or read them on ND

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread