No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Get Max to obey wife and kids? [Re: slydogx] #7379385
10/14/21 10:51 PM
10/14/21 10:51 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Give the wife and child a command to teach the dog and watch them do it until he follows the commands the tough part is keeping quiet but if they get flustered they might step up their game a bit.

My wife is to nice to our beagle the dog gets away with a lot more when I’m not around but she’s a hound if your not watching her every minute she’s off chasing rabbits.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Get Max to obey wife and kids? [Re: slydogx] #7379413
10/14/21 11:23 PM
10/14/21 11:23 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
All great advice. I had a talk about dominance recently.
Recently my boys left the garage open while they were playing. The hound went out trailing and the youngest couldn't get her back. 1 whistle from me and she was running home (6 houses down). Neighbors down the road were impressed and they never seen anything like that. They said my youngest was trying hard to get her and always see owners looking for their dogs and can't ever get ther dogs to runback home. I explained I'm the alpha and lots of time with her establishing that fact.

My youngest asked how I did that. I explained to him even though he is dominant over Joy (hound), Joy knows the pecking order. I suggested to him spend more time with her being more authoritative, having fun and she will act the same way with him.

The kids can get her under control most of the time except when she's off leash trailing.

Last edited by adam m; 10/14/21 11:24 PM. Reason: Added text
Re: Get Max to obey wife and kids? [Re: slydogx] #7379417
10/14/21 11:26 PM
10/14/21 11:26 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
obedience class always starts with walk , sit on leash for everything usually with a pocket of treats and a pinch collar

and progresses to sit stay

down

leave it take it

leave it on a sit stay

sit stay going farther and farther away

from down to down and let you roll them over like the vet is going to draw blood

feed in the morning train in the evening , no food till after training

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Get Max to obey wife and kids? [Re: slydogx] #7379485
10/15/21 06:07 AM
10/15/21 06:07 AM
WI
B
Badger23 Offline
trapper
Badger23  Offline
trapper
B

WI
Wish you the best in training him. GCP we as a society probably need to do the same to a lot of kids/adults as well. If they get in trouble a few times give em a bullet. That would stop a lot of problems we currently have and be a money saver. Dang laws won't allow it though. That's somewhat sarcastic but truthful at the same time.
I like most dogs better than most people.

Last edited by Badger23; 10/15/21 06:16 AM.
Re: Get Max to obey wife and kids? [Re: slydogx] #7379498
10/15/21 06:33 AM
10/15/21 06:33 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Many times family members over praise or praise a dog for doing nothing. The dog almost always ends up ignoring them.

Also, be sure to tell them to never ask the dog to do something that they do not intend to enforce on the first command. Every time. Sit and stay at meal time goes a long way. It’s every day and their is a reword for listening.

Re: Get Max to obey wife and kids? [Re: slydogx] #7379606
10/15/21 09:20 AM
10/15/21 09:20 AM
S. Illinois
C
Chuckles84 Offline
trapper
Chuckles84  Offline
trapper
C

S. Illinois
As others have said they have to know who is the boss. My brother has an 8 month old lab, she is an extremely energetic, but very intelligent pup. That pup listens to everyone but my Mom, I can take the dog out off leash and she listens and follows and I have not spent any training time with her. My mom on the other hand has to take her out on a leash because she doesnt listen to her. But mom is a push over and talks to the dog like shes a baby. And when told why the dog doesnt listen she says she cant do that its mean.

Your entitled to oxygen. Everything else is earned.
Re: Get Max to obey wife and kids? [Re: Badger23] #7379615
10/15/21 09:31 AM
10/15/21 09:31 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Badger23
Wish you the best in training him. GCP we as a society probably need to do the same to a lot of kids/adults as well. If they get in trouble a few times give em a bullet. That would stop a lot of problems we currently have and be a money saver. Dang laws won't allow it though. That's somewhat sarcastic but truthful at the same time.
I like most dogs better than most people.

that is a slippery slope and always seems to go wrong for the wrong people
eugenics , gynecide , forced lobotomies , forced sterilization

if your killed during the commission of your crime by your victim it is another thing , that is what criminals need to fear.

it is a different thing when your cutting your losses on property you don't want to have to do it. too many people won't take responsibility for anything just toss it back out into the world for some one else to deal with.

if you raised a really rotten kid chances are you were bad yourself , lots of evidence to that around.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Get Max to obey wife and kids? [Re: HOYT archery] #7379642
10/15/21 09:57 AM
10/15/21 09:57 AM
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

Originally Posted by HOYT archery
My wife handles feeding the dogs. Since she is the "food lady" the dogs listen to her quite well.

Just a quick easy way to help organize the pack order.

My wife does this as well but that doesn't get the Lab to listen to her the way he should. She uses the wrong commands for the dog. For instance my dog does not know the word "sit". She says this to him all the time. "Sit" is a hand command. She uses the word "come" often. This is also the wrong command for the dog. Simply saying the dogs name is the "come" command. All family members need to be on the same page with a dog that has the skills but doesn't listen to everyone equally. Corrections and consequences need to be the same as well.

Here is another example... When I call the dog if he does not respond IMMEDIATELY I give him the buzzer on the collar. I then go straight though the progression of corrections on the collar until I get the response. The wife will call the dog (using the wrong command most of the time) and only after many attempts give him the buzzer. Multiple attempts again and then she starts the progression of corrections. I can't remember the last time that I have had to use even the buzzer to get the appropriate response immediately.

Re: Get Max to obey wife and kids? [Re: slydogx] #7379647
10/15/21 10:06 AM
10/15/21 10:06 AM
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

Originally Posted by slydogx
Coondagger2, the e collar only runs on vibrate. I have nicked him once on level 1 to make sure things worked as expected.
He gets way more positive reinforcement than negative and as said is doing fairly well...at least to my satisfaction.
Our only real trouble spots are walking at heel and staying on place after the "kennel" command is given.
I agree with most of you all above that it's likely a dominance issue. I'll have a talk with the wife and kids to get them some confidence handling him

Slydog make sure to stick that "kennel" response. One of the most important behaviors for the dog to be spot on with. It works anywhere. I use it in the duck blind, in the field, and in the house. If someone comes to the door and either knocks or rings the doorbell the dog goes straight to his bed and stays there until someone lets him off. Test him regularly on only using any method other than the correct one. The dog should never leave "kennel" until someone comes to get him/her.

Re: Get Max to obey wife and kids? [Re: slydogx] #7379650
10/15/21 10:10 AM
10/15/21 10:10 AM
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

If you don't have it I would highly suggest Tom Dokkens Retriever Training book.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread