No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mortgage Hike [Re: NonPCfed] #7379788
10/15/21 02:12 PM
10/15/21 02:12 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
When you say insurance is that home owners only or were you required to buy mortgage insurance as part of the loan agreement? If you have been paying for 6 years on an extended or long term mortgage payment plan then the amount you owe on the mortgage is still very high. If there is mortgage insurance in that payment, you still have a lot of loan to cover and you are 6 years older then when you initiated the mortgage. The only real equity to date you have gained is the inflation value of your home if that is enough you may have options you can move forward with. Having made all of your payments on time and in full gives you a good credit rating to look at options.

Bryce

Re: Mortgage Hike [Re: DakotaBoy] #7379799
10/15/21 02:38 PM
10/15/21 02:38 PM
Kansas
K
Kansas Cat Offline
trapper
Kansas Cat  Offline
trapper
K

Kansas
Come on man! Catching your neighbor's house on fire is worthy of its own thread!

Re: Mortgage Hike [Re: Kansas Cat] #7379802
10/15/21 02:47 PM
10/15/21 02:47 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Kansas Cat
Come on man! Catching your neighbor's house on fire is worthy of its own thread!

I'm curious too

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Mortgage Hike [Re: NonPCfed] #7379820
10/15/21 03:18 PM
10/15/21 03:18 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by NonPCfed
The OP said it was a modular house, correct? Its much harder to finance them compared to a "stick built" house and probably to refi them as well. It might be he can't get much better of a rate.

I'm surprised he hasn't seen an escrow creep until year six, but then again he said he lives in small town of a small population state. My escrow goes up about every year. Then again, I live in a fast growing metro (percentage wise) and housing costs are going nuts!!

Normal I would agree with you 100% but these days things are crazy. Some friends just sold their double wide with 2 car pole barn and 4 acers for 40k more than they bought it for 4 years ago and got 7k more than they were asking. It sold in a week and was not the first offer. So things may be a little different today.

If it is a modular I did miss that.

Re: Mortgage Hike [Re: bblwi] #7379842
10/15/21 03:55 PM
10/15/21 03:55 PM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline OP
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline OP
trapper

ND
Originally Posted by bblwi
When you say insurance is that home owners only or were you required to buy mortgage insurance as part of the loan agreement? If you have been paying for 6 years on an extended or long term mortgage payment plan then the amount you owe on the mortgage is still very high. If there is mortgage insurance in that payment, you still have a lot of loan to cover and you are 6 years older then when you initiated the mortgage. The only real equity to date you have gained is the inflation value of your home if that is enough you may have options you can move forward with. Having made all of your payments on time and in full gives you a good credit rating to look at options.

Bryce

If I remember correctly, I believe a stipulation to us as first time home buyers is that we were required to buy mortgage insurance. We still owe around $150k on a house we agreed to pay $180k for.

"Pretty cocky for a starving pilgrim!"
"An elk don't know how many legs a horse has!"
Re: Mortgage Hike [Re: DakotaBoy] #7379845
10/15/21 04:04 PM
10/15/21 04:04 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by DakotaBoy

Bryce

If I remember correctly, I believe a stipulation to us as first time home buyers is that we were required to buy mortgage insurance. We still owe around $150k on a house we agreed to pay $180k for.

Yes you can refinance to get the mortgage insurance off. I'm already getting offers from my mortgage company to do that. I've been here 9 months.
My buddy just refinanced his house he bought 2 years ago and now isn't required to have mortgage insurance.
You bought at 180k 6 years ago I bet the house is worth closer to 220k +

Re: Mortgage Hike [Re: DakotaBoy] #7379859
10/15/21 04:31 PM
10/15/21 04:31 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by DakotaBoy

Bryce

If you put 20% down you do not need mortgage insurance. Not many people do these days.

Some mortgage companies will allow you to forego the mortgage insurance if you can show 80% loan to value, so if you get a property valuation that says your property value has gone up you may be able to get rid of the mortgage insurance but be sure to make sure that you do not have to refi in order to drop the mortgage insurance. Closing costs may make it not worthwhile. And never put the closing costs on you mortgage, you will be paying interest on them for 30 years do the math it's crazy.

Re: Mortgage Hike [Re: DakotaBoy] #7379871
10/15/21 05:12 PM
10/15/21 05:12 PM
NW Wisconsin
M
Muskrat Love Offline
trapper
Muskrat Love  Offline
trapper
M

NW Wisconsin
Dakota Boy,

If you go to your County Register of Deeds office, they can tell you when they're having an "open book", which will allow you to see what your property taxes are, along with you neighbors taxes are. These should be available to ANYONE living ANYWHERE. If you feel that you tax increase is not right, you can meet with the assessor and use compatibles of similar homes in your area,,that have leer evaluations than yours

The Freedom of Information Act should cover everything pertaining to us, unless it compromises Nation security.

I know that the interest rates did not increase, as the Feds are artificially keeping the interest rate low to "stimulate" the economy....... The only thing that does is stimulate my dislike of Yellen!

There's NO WAY IN H@#L that the interest rate should be under 3% now. When we had rapid inflation in the late 70's/early 80's the interest rate was just under 12%, if you were building a new home, and were borrowing. This I know, as we sold a home that was completely paid off and built our new home and needed just 45K.... 11.45%, in 1978.

If it's an escrow situation, that's a completely different story, but interest rates didn't rise recently. Your financial institution maybe just covering their arse. Check with them if your interest rate changed.

"The difference between a banker and a crook is, the crook has a getaway plan"!

"I'm an old dog, and these are all new tricks!"
Re: Mortgage Hike [Re: Muskrat Love] #7379881
10/15/21 06:00 PM
10/15/21 06:00 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by Muskrat Love
Dakota Boy,

If you go to your County Register of Deeds office, they can tell you when they're having an "open book", which will allow you to see what your property taxes are, along with you neighbors taxes are. These should be available to ANYONE living ANYWHERE. If you feel that you tax increase is not right, you can meet with the assessor and use compatibles of similar homes in your area,,that have leer evaluations than yours

The Freedom of Information Act should cover everything pertaining to us, unless it compromises Nation security.

I know that the interest rates did not increase, as the Feds are artificially keeping the interest rate low to "stimulate" the economy....... The only thing that does is stimulate my dislike of Yellen!

There's NO WAY IN H@#L that the interest rate should be under 3% now. When we had rapid inflation in the late 70's/early 80's the interest rate was just under 12%, if you were building a new home, and were borrowing. This I know, as we sold a home that was completely paid off and built our new home and needed just 45K.... 11.45%, in 1978.

If it's an escrow situation, that's a completely different story, but interest rates didn't rise recently. Your financial institution maybe just covering their arse. Check with them if your interest rate changed.

"The difference between a banker and a crook is, the crook has a getaway plan"!

Every county in Minnesota has the tax value of all properties online. I would think most states are the same. Very easy to find.

Re: Mortgage Hike [Re: DakotaBoy] #7379888
10/15/21 06:33 PM
10/15/21 06:33 PM
Iowa
D
DGorman Offline
trapper
DGorman  Offline
trapper
D

Iowa
We bought ours 5 years ago at 3.9% for 30 years. We refinanced this spring at 2.0% for 15 years. The appraised value increased nearly 15% in that time. Fortunately I'm zoned agricultural and have about a third of my property in forest reserve so there is no property tax on it. My assessed value is less than half of the appraised value so that's pretty nice. I figured the refi will save us about 100k over the life of the loan. It did bump my payment up about 400/ month but I think it is definitely worth it.

Re: Mortgage Hike [Re: DakotaBoy] #7379943
10/15/21 07:53 PM
10/15/21 07:53 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Whoa reading this thread makes me glad I have not had a mortgage in 20 years.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Mortgage Hike [Re: DakotaBoy] #7380056
10/15/21 10:52 PM
10/15/21 10:52 PM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
Agree feedinggrounds. My bet is variable/adjustable rate. Go to a farm credit service if you have one.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread