No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: foxkidd44] #7384266
10/21/21 12:59 AM
10/21/21 12:59 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
being prepared is bad

your lack of planning must constitute some others emergency so that you don't get any ideas about living without big brother helping you.

mostly helping you out of your tax dollars

after all you are making people feel bad about their lack of preparation , skill and productivity.

you don't want to make others feel bad do you

and you know home canned food will kill you you couldn't possibly get it right without a factory and inspectors.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 10/21/21 01:02 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: Actor] #7384282
10/21/21 04:42 AM
10/21/21 04:42 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by waggler
I think it's great if the grocery store shelves go bare. Hunger is a great motivator; that might wake people up.

No they will just blame Trump

Originally Posted by Actor
A while back, there 5 or 6 of us sitting around shooting the bull when the topic cam up about how high was getting. They kind of went around the table with their agreement and complaints laced throughout. Finally they looked at me and told them, hey in a few weeks I hopefully will be able to supply any of you that would like enough meat for several meals. Well, they all got really excited and was making out their lists. Their was another guy standing off to the side, and he was chuckling like crazy. On of the guys at the table asked him what was so funny. Once he was able to regain his composure, he said, you didn't ask him what kind of meat it was...

They all set there with a puzzled look on their faces, and one got up enough courage to ask me what kind of meat it was...

I said... well... there will be muskrats, raccoon, possum, squirrel, and if lucky maybe a rabbit and a groundhog. Well a couple of the city boys turned green and everyone else got up and left the table.

Oh well... what can I say? I guess they weren't as hungry as they thought.

Garry-

Give them time, I truly doubt any of them have really been hungry, but then again I know people that would probably starve to death amidst plenty through sheer ignorance of simply knowing how to do more the open a can or box or what food looks like before it hit the store shelf

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: foxkidd44] #7384283
10/21/21 04:51 AM
10/21/21 04:51 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Then again I went to Venezuela back in the late 80 and life there was good lots of fat happy well off people, but now just because of who they put in power people are fighting over garbage

Yep bet if I had asked any of those down there at that time they would have laughed at my ignorance or po pooed my question and it could happen here, and I think it’s what the hard left want, if you can’t make everyone equally rich make them all equally poor, it’s a lot easy

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: foxkidd44] #7384320
10/21/21 06:59 AM
10/21/21 06:59 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
My wife accuses me of being a hoarder often. This time of year before trapping season my garage looks like a hoarder lives here.
Kidding aside, nothing wrong with protecting your family a little and being prepared.
Sams club is a place a buy a lot of stuff in bulk. Lots of stuff at decent prices.
Basement is full of jars of canned tomatoes, apples you name it. We put up a lot from our garden.. Freezers are full. I always get two propane bottles for the grill, not just one. Need a backup, right?
Several five gallon gas cans in garage are full too. Dont like running out and sometimes it can save a life if we have gas to share with a neighbor so they can get to town if someone is hurt and they ran their vehicle too low on fuel.
Probably just how I was all my life. Got lots of cans of nuts, bolts, etc. Saved me a ton of trips to hardware store.
Might even have a good supply of ammo, who knows.
Jim grin

Last edited by jabNE; 10/21/21 07:01 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: foxkidd44] #7384462
10/21/21 10:29 AM
10/21/21 10:29 AM
So. IL
pintail_drake04 Offline
trapper
pintail_drake04  Offline
trapper

So. IL
Funny, 2 years ago when I was canning, my in-laws were asking why I put up so much, saying just go to the store. You would think, coming from Communist Poland they would understand the necessity of putting up excess for lean times. Now, they have seen and been around long enough they keep saying "we are coming to your house when SHTF." Trying not to rely on freezers as much, my wife bought me a pressure canner and we started canning meat and meals. I shoot for 200 quart jars of produce annually. Combine that with what we freeze, or store in the barn we are set pretty good going into winter. That can go a long way with garden vegetables, rice, beans, and some fresh meat. I don't consider it hoarding, I consider it living responsibly and providing for my family.

Watching the news, it would appear there is going to be a meat, turkey shortage going into the winter. We have become quite proficient at raising "meal sized" animals on the homestead. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-600 rabbits and 200-300 chickens a year, and recently started raising ducks and occasionally turkeys. It's nice knowing we have meals running around the farm that don't need to be frozen or canned.

We try to have a backup plan for everything, not really hoarding in my opinion. I use a lot of lids and jars, so I buy them by the case when I can get them. I have several bee hives so instead of buying sugar 5# at a time, we buy multiple 25# bags. My wife makes all our own bread, rolls, and buns so we buy flour in bulk bags too. I don't wait until I'm out to replenish it either. My potatoes didn't do that well this year, but I have a bumper crop of turnips-a good alternative when young. But I'll be buying potatoes (in bulk if I can find it) and storing for winter.

We save a lot of scraps too. Scrap metal, washers/bolts, wood, etc has all come in handy. I know I can't keep it all, and just as soon as I get rid of something I need it (such is life). Just recently, I use some scrap wood and tin to make a new pop door for my 2nd chicken coop when the old one broke. Kept me from having to run 40 minutes one way into town to get supplies. The red bailing twine is a favorite of mine on the homestead. it can be used to lash things together, tie down tarps, tie up tomatoes/peppers, mend net and fence, hobble critters, etc. I have a hook in the barn with 100's of yards of bailing twine that gets cut from straw and hay bails.

Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: foxkidd44] #7384481
10/21/21 10:55 AM
10/21/21 10:55 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Further evidence that country boys CAN survive! Will be the last one's standing when SHTF.

For those who are not aware, you can buy bulk canning lids from some Amish stores. A sleeve of regular lids is about 10 or 12 dozen. Wide mouth about half that many, but what they had for that may have been re-packaged. All ours worked as well as Ball or Kerr branded.

Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: HayDay] #7384500
10/21/21 11:14 AM
10/21/21 11:14 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by HayDay
Further evidence that country boys CAN survive! Will be the last one's standing when SHTF.

For those who are not aware, you can buy bulk canning lids from some Amish stores. A sleeve of regular lids is about 10 or 12 dozen. Wide mouth about half that many, but what they had for that may have been re-packaged. All ours worked as well as Ball or Kerr branded.

These lids, from what I've been hearing, are currently the best lids around.

https://www.dutchmansstore.com/product/superb-regular-mouth-canning-lids-bulk-pack-of-60-usa-made

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: foxkidd44] #7384601
10/21/21 01:10 PM
10/21/21 01:10 PM
mi. u.p
grapestomper Offline
trapper
grapestomper  Offline
trapper

mi. u.p
I put the stop to jerky requests by saying bring me a deer and I will be happy to make you jerky.
The wife and I are wondering about another freezer now also.
Filled up with vegetables, fish, bear, turkey etc.
Deer season is just getting going good now also.
Good luck to all.

Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: foxkidd44] #7384613
10/21/21 01:23 PM
10/21/21 01:23 PM
Illinois
foxkidd44 Offline OP
trapper
foxkidd44  Offline OP
trapper

Illinois
[Linked Image]
It’s getting crazy gang.

Stand by your principles, Stand by your guns, and victory complete and permanent is sure at last.
Abraham Lincoln
Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: foxkidd44] #7384625
10/21/21 02:03 PM
10/21/21 02:03 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
My guess is whoever it is at FB responsible for this has never been out of sight of the bright lights of the big city......and will be SOL when the time comes. Karma.

Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: foxkidd44] #7384635
10/21/21 02:13 PM
10/21/21 02:13 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Nothing surprises me anymore Foxxkidd

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: foxkidd44] #7384637
10/21/21 02:14 PM
10/21/21 02:14 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Don't try to catch rainwater off your roof or catch some in a pond! Highly illegal in several states.
I imagine a tax on sunshine isn't too far out of their realm.

Last edited by Gary Benson; 10/21/21 02:23 PM.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: foxkidd44] #7384639
10/21/21 02:17 PM
10/21/21 02:17 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Facebook? Nope don't do it

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: foxkidd44] #7384717
10/21/21 04:09 PM
10/21/21 04:09 PM
La.
G
Gator Foot Offline
trapper
Gator Foot  Offline
trapper
G

La.
I guess you can call me a horder or any thing else! I know, my family and friends and neighbors will be well fed!! You never know what’s going to happen in the future.

Re: Any fellow horders here? [Re: foxkidd44] #7384954
10/21/21 09:55 PM
10/21/21 09:55 PM
PA
C
cmj Offline
trapper
cmj  Offline
trapper
C

PA
Yeah, Im a hoarder. We can everything. I started my own business and its seasonal. I could go 3 months in the winter with little work. So my wife started canning and it snowballed.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread