No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Trap thieves, I hate em #7385246
10/22/21 09:37 AM
10/22/21 09:37 AM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline OP
trapper
strike2x  Offline OP
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
I know this comes up from time to time but I just need to air this. Had a trap set in the middle strip of a 2 track on a drag. It was a MB 650. Someone stepped on it and then took it. I have to believe they were not far ahead of me because it was raining all morning bup to abot 15 minutes before I found this. This is the biggest reason I set off trails and I hate drags. If I had it anchored I am sure they would have been working on getting it loose when I got there. The were no dog tracks so I didn't snag fido or anything. I wish people.could respect others rights and property.thanks for letting me rant.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Trap thieves, I hate em [Re: strike2x] #7385274
10/22/21 10:05 AM
10/22/21 10:05 AM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Greg. I have had traps walk off from public and private land many times over the years. Fact is, most times the theiver is a fellow sportsman, often fellow trappers, especially when the traps are water sets that are harder to recognize at a glance. People suck.

Re: Trap thieves, I hate em [Re: strike2x] #7385289
10/22/21 10:20 AM
10/22/21 10:20 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
Im with you. I believe many trap thieves are so called trappers or once were.

Re: Trap thieves, I hate em [Re: J.Morse] #7385323
10/22/21 10:55 AM
10/22/21 10:55 AM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
Originally Posted by J.Morse
Greg. I have had traps walk off from public and private land many times over the years. Fact is, most times the theiver is a fellow sportsman, often fellow trappers, especially when the traps are water sets that are harder to recognize at a glance. People suck.
X2 There were so many "Pandemic Woods Walkers" last year I refused to set on State lands, this year we'll see later. They were showing up in places most people seldom to ever come except during deer season.

This past May I was back in on State land 3/4 off a mile near a no longer used logging trail testing lures under cameras. One test site was on a clear cut ridge maybe 150yds from this trail and it was difficult to get to the ridge because of the tops and lots of water. I couldn't believe what I videoed! Here's this big dude dressed in silk short shorts, tank top, hiking boots, and backpack with a service belt with canteen and bayonet. He acted like he was lost and must have had the living crap scratched out of him! I know that country intimately and I never found where he accessed that ridge and I never saw him again.

Last edited by Seldom; 10/22/21 10:57 AM.

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: Trap thieves, I hate em [Re: strike2x] #7385431
10/22/21 02:01 PM
10/22/21 02:01 PM
pa
P
poconobear Offline
trapper
poconobear  Offline
trapper
P

pa
I also agree “sportsmen” and trappers are thieves. I had a trap and a catch stolen over a mile back in on state land once. It was anchored with a cable stake. The set was disturbed but the thief covered the set with sifted dirt to make it look like it was still a functioning set. Only a trapper does that.

Re: Trap thieves, I hate em [Re: poconobear] #7385444
10/22/21 02:26 PM
10/22/21 02:26 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Originally Posted by poconobear
I also agree “sportsmen” and trappers are thieves. I had a trap and a catch stolen over a mile back in on state land once. It was anchored with a cable stake. The set was disturbed but the thief covered the set with sifted dirt to make it look like it was still a functioning set. Only a trapper does that.

Once set up a chunk of private for coyotes. I ended up checking on of the sets for a week or so before pulling.....only to find an empty dirthole set that had the trap removed by someone that re-sifted the dirt over the set. I'm thinking it was someone who had a sifter along with them.......who does that? I'm the only guy that the landowner let on.

Re: Trap thieves, I hate em [Re: strike2x] #7385457
10/22/21 02:53 PM
10/22/21 02:53 PM
Interior Alaska
O
Oh Snap Offline
trapper
Oh Snap  Offline
trapper
O

Interior Alaska
Must be a Michigan thing!

I love the smell of burning spruce---I love the sound of a spring time goose---I love the feel of 40 below---from my trapline I will never go!
Re: Trap thieves, I hate em [Re: strike2x] #7385474
10/22/21 03:22 PM
10/22/21 03:22 PM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
One day a guy in northern MN was out checking his line. He had been having issues with a trap thief taking his traps. So he rigged up a few traps with 1/8 cable and put the big disposable ends on them and replaced all of his sets in the affected area with the heavy ones.

A few days later he was walking through the woods checking his traps when he heard something out of place. He quietly advanced and saw some dude trying to pull one of his traps out. They guy snuck up as quietly as he could and when he was about 6 feet behind him, he yelled out "What in the heck (yeah right) do you think you are doing? The thief spun around and had a deer in the headlights look on his face. The guy let loose with a string of profanities and told the thief that he was going to have him charged with theft. The thief, not wanting to get caught decided that the best remedy to this situation would be to attack the guy. He fulled a large knife out of his belt and tried to slash the guy. The guy, having cat like reflexes, dodged the swing and broke the handle of his 1980's vintage Yo-Ho trowel up side the thief's head. The thief was knocked out cold and the guy left everything as it was except that he wired the thief's hand behind his back and went for help. He went to the nearest farm and called the game warden. Soon there was a pile of Law Enforcement there along with an ambulance.

The sheriff replaced the wire with his cuffs and informed the thief who was about 1/2 with it by now that he was under arrest for a grocery list of offenses. It took the paramedics a 1/2 hour to haul him out of the woods. One of the deputies found the thief's truck and the game warden found a number of traps with the tags still on them in the box. All had been reported stolen by various trappers in the area. The deputy also found a handgun which was reported stolen in the cab.

In the end the thief went to prison for the assault with the weapon and the handgun. He also had many thousands in fines and lost his truck and his DNR rights.

OK, I made this up, but didn't it feel good for a minute.

Re: Trap thieves, I hate em [Re: strike2x] #7385477
10/22/21 03:25 PM
10/22/21 03:25 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Online mad
trapper
BigBob  Online Mad
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Well trained anti's can and do!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Trap thieves, I hate em [Re: strike2x] #7385534
10/22/21 05:00 PM
10/22/21 05:00 PM
UP Michigan
Yooper1978 Offline
trapper
Yooper1978  Offline
trapper

UP Michigan
I feel your pain. It really sucks.

Re: Trap thieves, I hate em [Re: strike2x] #7385831
10/22/21 10:01 PM
10/22/21 10:01 PM
Province of Ontario, Canada
H
Hunter 1 Offline
trapper
Hunter 1  Offline
trapper
H

Province of Ontario, Canada
Yup these guys are out there...difficult to understand but it does happen more often than we think. Two trappers I know got into one year...not good...

Re: Trap thieves, I hate em [Re: strike2x] #7385838
10/22/21 10:07 PM
10/22/21 10:07 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I have never found someone elses traps on my line ever.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread