No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Do we make it to easy? #7387394
10/24/21 09:14 PM
10/24/21 09:14 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline OP
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline OP
trapper
D

MN
I was thinking back to my first season, think I caught a few possums and a couple muskrat. I trapped alot of hours with a couple hand me down traps from my uncle and no real instruction.

My first bow was much the same, saved up 75 dollars and bought a used compound, practiced with it and after much struggle got a nice doe.

I see alot of kids now have instant success, they go out hunting for the first time and dad puts them on a nice deer. They have nice guns, bows, traps, boats but they seem to lack the passion that some of us who struggled when we started had.

I think part of the passion may come from the struggle, the season without getting a shot at a deer, the first year of putting food scraps over a old Victor long spring and being proud of the possum.

Curious what the members think, is passion born from struggle?

Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387400
10/24/21 09:18 PM
10/24/21 09:18 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Only when the struggle ends. Passion comes from the reward after putting in the hard work.

Last edited by white dog; 10/24/21 09:21 PM.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387406
10/24/21 09:25 PM
10/24/21 09:25 PM
Montana
D
Deerkiller Offline
trapper
Deerkiller  Offline
trapper
D

Montana
I have done the same. When my kids started hunting I put them on them! The other day my son now 16 said he has not seen me kill a deer in years. I asked him you know why? He said yes sir you letting us hunt the good spots. This year I’m going to kill a few.

[Linked Image]
Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387410
10/24/21 09:28 PM
10/24/21 09:28 PM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
I agree with the OP on this one. It seems like the harder you work for something, the sweeter the reward.

But, on the other hand if we make it too difficult they might become discouraged. Encouraging them and showing enthusiasm yourself goes a long way toward keeping youngsters interested.

Last edited by MnMan; 10/24/21 09:33 PM.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387416
10/24/21 09:33 PM
10/24/21 09:33 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Hunting has changed a lot in my lifetime and I don't think it's been a good change for the sport. Though population, tactics and equipment there's a big push to make it as easy as possible. Don't even get me started on the commercialization of it.

Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387423
10/24/21 09:39 PM
10/24/21 09:39 PM
Arkansas
J
J Staton Online content
trapper
J Staton  Online Content
trapper
J

Arkansas
I remember my first deer hunts. A pair of uninsulated rubber boots, wool socks, insulated under britches, blue jeans, long sleeve shirt, and heavy jacket. Froze my *(%^ off ! grin

James 1: 19-20
Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Deerkiller] #7387430
10/24/21 09:46 PM
10/24/21 09:46 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Deerkiller
I have done the same. When my kids started hunting I put them on them! The other day my son now 16 said he has not seen me kill a deer in years. I asked him you know why? He said yes sir you letting us hunt the good spots. This year I’m going to kill a few.

yup , my son knows he got the sweet spots for those years

some need a little success to get hooked

others maybe don't

it needs to be enjoyable and not just working for a bunch of old guys at deer camp.

he is 18 now I think I would still rather let him shoot the deer but it doesn't mean I am not going to shoot any

I don't mind walking every drive if it keeps my dad and uncles hunting a few more years

I know uncle Bill put me on some sweet spots early on back then we traded drive stand

once Uncle bills knees were shot I was happy to let him stand well more like sit in the lawn chair just far enough in from the road to be legal and I would drive

we lost Uncle Bill 2019 the Tuesday before opening day to cancer he had been doing well in Nov 2018 and we had a good year hunting my son shot 2 and my dad shot one

I think my son gets it in 2018 he was 16 and lent his gun and set up Tony uncle Bob's grandson in law in a good spot and Tony got his first deer even though he was in his 20s. it was the first year Tony had hunted with us having just married into the family. Tony's first deer was a good size body fork.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387462
10/24/21 10:19 PM
10/24/21 10:19 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
I have helped several kids and young men get into trapping. Only one has stuck with it mostly because he works for me in my wildlife business doing nuisance trapping. He traps a bit on his own during fur season.

I cannot imagine any young person today having the interest, motivation, drive, and passion that I had as a kid, young man, and still do as a graybeard. Starting out with a few very rusty number 1 longsprings and jump traps in a burlap bag walking miles to trap muskrats made me feel like a mountain man. Receiving a small black and white trapping catalog or later an FFG magazine was spiritual. My first whiff of Hawbakers muskrat lure was intoxicating.

Working to build up my arsenal of traps and gear and was exciting. I was fortunate to trap during the fur boom beginning in the late 1970s. To really pay my dues I worked tirelessly to oppose the 1977 legislation on the ballot to ban the leghold trap - and we defeated it. Trapping turned me into a good hunter, fisherman, and person. Fur money helped pay my way through college and law school.

I am proud to say that one of my mentors was the great Charles Dobbins. It was a privilege to work with Charles and 2 other guys to start a local FTA chapter and build up to having our own fur auction. He taught me to modify traps and gave me autographed copies of 2 of his books. It was a pleasure to share the trapline with Mr. Charles Dobbins.

Long ago, a special gal caught my eye. She enjoyed the adventure of the trapline. Watching her struggle and succeed carrying a huge beaver was very entertaining. Forty-some years later we are still together and she still asks “What did you catch today?”.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387505
10/24/21 11:45 PM
10/24/21 11:45 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
I'm guilty of making it easy. We were poor and mom was singles. I got to tag along with one of moms friends squirrel hunting a few times for a couple of year.

Mom was anti gun so I got bows. Would bum a ride 45,min to my cousin house and we would walk everywhere to hunt at 13. Killed my first several deer with a bow. No deer stand just climbed trees and sat in a fork. No one took or taught us. I rented every hunting VHS I could find. Heck that's how I learned to gut deer.

Now my kids have had it made. Both boys killed their first two deer when they were 7. They have nice guns, 2 bows each x bows. We have stands and ground blinds and I even take them out if state to hunt deer.

Is it two easy.? I don't know but my boys are 11 and 9 and the 11year old has shot 9 deer and the 9 has 7.. they will have killed more deer before they got to the age I killed my first one than I had by the time I was in my 20s.

They are ate up with everything hunting, trapping and fishing and I enjoy their success more than my own and they will be much better outdoorsman than I.
Yes they are spoiled and may be missing some of the struggle yet they are getting more opportunities and will grow beyond my abilities. Besides they are mine to spoil and I'm beyond proud.

Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387508
10/25/21 12:04 AM
10/25/21 12:04 AM
Southern Virginia, 50 yr old
V
VaBeagler Offline
trapper
VaBeagler  Offline
trapper
V

Southern Virginia, 50 yr old
Absolutely we have made it easier for the rookies. Trapped for years before I became efficient at it. Now you have youtube videos and plenty of other outlets. There is nothing like hands on instruction. Buzzard came to my place and trained me. Learned two critical things from him as far as canine trapping. It changed the whole game.
Furs are not worth skinning right now. You best teach people that want to learn just so you can have deer and turkey to hunt. No one will get into trapping for the money these days.

Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387586
10/25/21 07:48 AM
10/25/21 07:48 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Too easy, yes
My Wife tells me I did everything for the kids that's why they rely on me.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387595
10/25/21 08:06 AM
10/25/21 08:06 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
I was thinking back to my first season, think I caught a few possums and a couple muskrat. I trapped alot of hours with a couple hand me down traps from my uncle and no real instruction.

My first bow was much the same, saved up 75 dollars and bought a used compound, practiced with it and after much struggle got a nice doe.

I see alot of kids now have instant success, they go out hunting for the first time and dad puts them on a nice deer. They have nice guns, bows, traps, boats but they seem to lack the passion that some of us who struggled when we started had.

I think part of the passion may come from the struggle, the season without getting a shot at a deer, the first year of putting food scraps over a old Victor long spring and being proud of the possum.

Curious what the members think, is passion born from struggle?

Not certain I agree with this. Passion/Desire is born before the struggle. When I wanted to learn how to play the guitar, I was always told, “If the desire is there, you’ll do it.”

Like most other self taught guitar players, you wore out the groves in an album playing over and over the parts to learn. lol Now my sons just lookup the tab online. It shows them the what to do but they still have to do it themselves and learn the small details that make it sound right. Passion keeps them engaged to do that.

I agree the curve is shorter but there is still enough to learn to keep the fire going. There is reward in the success of each song learned just as there is with each critter caught.

Complacency and disappointment reminds us when the fire is getting low.

-Goofy-
Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387603
10/25/21 08:21 AM
10/25/21 08:21 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I read everything I could get my hands on when I was in grade school. By Jr high I had read everything in the school library that interested me. What interested me most was stories about the fur trade when Europeans were coming here just for fur. The “mountain man” era as well. I think that some people are just more in touch with their predatory instincts. Have a natural drive. Just like our pets. Centuries of civilization have bred it out of a lot of people but folks on Tman likey would have got on the ship headed to the Aleutians in 1630 or packed up and went over the Cumberland gap or followed the Missouri to the Platte and lived with and fought the Indians while gathering beaver plews just to blow it all at big drunk fest every summer.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387644
10/25/21 09:17 AM
10/25/21 09:17 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I think the putting them on deer thing is a good gateway. Early success can keep kids interested, though putting them on a big buck might set unrealistic expectations going forward. Struggles might put them off.

I'm still recovering from my struggle bus hunt yesterday. Luckily I came home with a decent buck off public land.

Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387658
10/25/21 09:41 AM
10/25/21 09:41 AM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
I have an issue on the too early of age for youth hunt. Seems to only satisfy the city folks to start a 6 year old and kill a 8-10 point buck.

Personally I think 12 is good, and shoot a doe only the first couple of years. Go through the process of gutting, hanging and taking care altogether.

At the age of 6 and up to 12, they don't carry a gun in the woods. Or do they really understand the safety issue here? A little common sense needs to be here.

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387663
10/25/21 09:54 AM
10/25/21 09:54 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Im taking my grandson deer hunting Saturday. He will be 10 next month. Shot his first deer last year. Going to do the same thing this year. Sit in the blind with him. He has been well trained in gun safety. No I wont let him deer hunt alone. Your common sense comment is out of line.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387665
10/25/21 09:57 AM
10/25/21 09:57 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
[Linked Image]

Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387668
10/25/21 10:01 AM
WI
B
Badger23 Offline
trapper
Badger23  Offline
trapper
B

WI
Yes. Most kids now days are used to parents that want to make it easier on them than they had it. Ironically it's the parents that then complain when the kids just keep wanting more and for it to continue to be easy. That's society in general not just outdoor sports. Millions of parents are to blame for where we're at but about 1% will accept it.

Let me ask this. If your kids had to go through what you did when you started out hunting or trapping do you think they'd keep with it? Be honest here too. To me from outside looking in as I have no kids they seem to have a much shorter drive to do do what's needed to hunt or trap like I did 30 plus years ago.

BTW there was no youth hunt when I was growing up. Make the youth hunt doe only and see how many kids stick around for the regular hunt. That would be a true sign.

Last edited by Badger23; 10/25/21 10:04 AM.
Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387669
ontario
K
k9-hunter Offline
trapper
k9-hunter  Offline
trapper
K

ontario
same as fishing wanna hook a kid take them after the bluegills ,pumpkinseeds,crappie,perch and catfish ( quanity over quality)hunting would be if there seeing game chances are they will eventually get shooting and maybe score

Re: Do we make it to easy? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7387672
10/25/21 10:05 AM
10/25/21 10:05 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
we have mentored hunting one gun between the 2 of you and you are never to be out of arms reach of them until they are 12 and have passed hunters safety.

I did that when my son was 11 he had a hard time sitting still enough

we worked on his skills and he was solid at 12

at 12 with hunters ed it is not out of sight or sound distance for us that is about 50 yards but depends on terrain and weather

he did shoot a nice doe on the very last drive of Sunday afternoon that year

he has only shot one buck the rest does

I see the OPs point it shouldn't be too easy and too much success right out of the gait if your first deer is a gimee with a boon and crocket score what have you got to work up too.

but putting them where they have a good chance of a deer isn't too much success and they can once they have their deer for the season be a DD dedicated Driver helping get others deer to pay their dues

although we shoot a fair number driving also

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 10/25/21 10:07 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread