No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388227
10/25/21 10:17 PM
10/25/21 10:17 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
I would guess it's about 10% about the deer. Most of it is about the dogs and a mixed group of men having fun. I know guys who just stayed in the camp house that enjoyed to cook. Others would drive out at night just to shoot the bull around the fire. Others would cuss and drink and others would preach and everyone got along.
I think it's funny now but at the time, I did not think it was not funny. My son and his grandfather where sitting on a cooler drinking a coke, under a shade tree shooting the bull. I could see them at a distance with their shotguns leaning against a tree. Deer could have ran them over and they could not have cared less. I came home and told my wife, still mad and she just shrugged her shoulders.
Those where good times.

Last edited by jtg; 10/25/21 10:20 PM.
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388236
10/25/21 10:31 PM
10/25/21 10:31 PM
montgomery co.,ks
kseric Offline
trapper
kseric  Offline
trapper

montgomery co.,ks
I would love to hunt deer with dogs. Unfortunately not legal here.

keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back

YOU DO YOUR THING, I'LL DO MINE
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388388
10/26/21 08:01 AM
10/26/21 08:01 AM

B
bleeohio
Unregistered
bleeohio
Unregistered
B

I grew up hunting rabbit with dogs, coon with dogs, squirrel with dogs, pheasant also. If it would've been legal to hunt deer with dogs, I'm sure I would have.

Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388408
10/26/21 08:40 AM
10/26/21 08:40 AM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
Legal in eastern Virginia I've never been but if a state says it's legal to do and they regulate it then what's the problem.

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388410
10/26/21 08:44 AM
10/26/21 08:44 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Just read where it's legal in Florida on private land and maybe 11 other states. I'd think that deer would run for miles, the meat would be ruined, and how does a dog know where to stop?
I've read where there's hunters tripping over each other....and 4-wheelers tearing up the woods with disregard to others. I think I'll pass.

" I've read"...."I've read"...

No understanding of how different each States cultures are.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388421
10/26/21 08:51 AM
10/26/21 08:51 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
True 330. That's why I'm asking opinions. Nebraska has always been still hunting other than the guys chasing them with pickups. I guess that's a cultural thing too. To each his own. I prefer quiet when I'm outdoors.
"I've read I've read" Yes that's how people get information....right or wrong. I read all the responses above too. If everyone was the same it would be a boring world.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388427
10/26/21 09:01 AM
10/26/21 09:01 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
True 330. That's why I'm asking opinions.1. Nebraska has always been still hunting other than the guys chasing them with pickups. .2 If everyone was the same it would be a boring world.

1. People can shoot from trucks in Nebraska?

2. And we would still huddle in caves banging rocks together to make a fire.

Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388440
10/26/21 09:18 AM
10/26/21 09:18 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
People can shoot from trucks in every state. Not legal but they can. And they do. Every law in the books is broken in every state.
I didn't know banging rocks together could start a fire. A piece of steel is helpful I think "I read" somewhere. I also read that you shouldn't believe what you read.

Last edited by Gary Benson; 10/26/21 09:19 AM.

Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388445
10/26/21 09:25 AM
10/26/21 09:25 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
People can shoot from trucks in every state. Not legal but they can. And they do. Every law in the books is broken in every state.
I didn't know banging rocks together could start a fire. A piece of steel is helpful I think "I read" somewhere. I also read that you shouldn't believe what you read.

I thought it was legal in Montana or Wyoming. I had a guy that was a friend of my wife's family that moved to one of those states and went hunting with some guys he worked with. He freaked out when they blasted a deer from the truck and in front of the GW. He said it must be legal because all the GW said was good shot.

Steel can be found in rocks. They tend to be heave and rust covered. But I have never tried it. Matches and factory fire starters are more efficient

Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388450
10/26/21 09:37 AM
10/26/21 09:37 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Yep, different states have different laws. We have to respect that.
I like the good old "strike anywhere" matches myself but even those aren't what they used to be. Used to be able to rip one along a stretch of denim jeans and they would light. Or a thumbnail. I don't think the matches today would do that.

Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388453
10/26/21 09:42 AM
10/26/21 09:42 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
A history of matches....originally called a Lucifer. Still not sure where that came from.
https://medium.com/study-of-history/a-short-history-c52a80c69d5e

Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388461
10/26/21 09:51 AM
10/26/21 09:51 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Talked to a guy I took Turkey hunting last spring a retired eye Doc that lives in town he hunts all over even Africa. He took a huge gator that was full of old alligator and dog tags they found while cleaning it. Between alligators, snakes and spiders I’m thinking running them with dogs fills the need to move deer.

Just because I don’t do it does not mean it should not be done that’s the worse thinking there is that’s liberal thinking to a tee!

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388463
10/26/21 09:53 AM
10/26/21 09:53 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota

wink

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388465
10/26/21 09:58 AM
10/26/21 09:58 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
People have issues with coyote calling contest in places coyotes are considered vermin that’s just crazy the main goal is to ruin the desire more then caring about any coyotes. Strangulation through regulation the red tape method is a death of 1,000 cuts.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388470
10/26/21 10:06 AM
10/26/21 10:06 AM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
Years ago when there was not so many deer, like these days. The deer, especially the big bucks, would hide out in the thick river bottoms. Using dogs for deer became illegal, but since Texas is mostly private and they felt it was their land to do what they wanted, many long term hounds hunters could not let it go. At first they used hounds and changed to beagles for two reasons one is, they would not run the deer so far and the other, it would look like they where rabbit hunting.

Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388472
10/26/21 10:15 AM
10/26/21 10:15 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
As a trapper, I hate deer dog season. There are dogs everywhere on public land making it almost impossible to trap. But as a coon hunter, I'm not crazy about the thought of 220s possibly being set anywhere, and I'm sure the deer dog hunters feel the same. I've never shot a cross bow, never hunted ducks, or turkeys. Shooting pigs and coyotes from airplanes doesn't seem very sporting, but neither does shooting deer behind fences. Despite that though, I think that all the above mentioned methods of taking animals should remain legal. Just because I don't enjoy doing some of them, doesn't mean that others don't. I would much rather see a 12 year old boy standing in a deer drive with dogs, than in his mother's basement shooting make believe people in Call of Duty. I'd be happy to see a wounded veteran, or an older gentleman who can't walk much anymore shooting a deer behind a fence (or at a feeder) than sitting around feeling sorry for themselves.

People hunt/trap/fish for different reasons. Gary says he enjoys silence when he hunts. Sometimes I do too, but nothing gets my blood pumping more than hearing a hound chasing a coon through the woods at night. I've never hunted a deer at a feeder, but thinking I should buy a feeder, because I hunt deer for only one reason and that is for meat. I don't look at killing a deer any differently than I do a domestic pig or cow. I wouldn't turn my cows or pigs loose and then try to stalk them to shoot them, lol. If I want sport, I'd go squirrel or bird hunting.

Just because people harvest animals in a way different than you do, doesn't mean it's wrong.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: yotetrapper30] #7388481
10/26/21 10:26 AM
10/26/21 10:26 AM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
I 100% agree. It's not public land here, but the land owners would let the dog hunters know when they set out snares. Not many people use 220's and if they did they would let the hound hunters know. If they need meat they would hunt stands, but running hounds is not about the game, it's about the hounds and the chase. Dogs hunting with men as a team, is really something special and I don't care what your hunting. Nothing like a boy and his dog hunting together.

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
As a trapper, I hate deer dog season. There are dogs everywhere on public land making it almost impossible to trap. But as a coon hunter, I'm not crazy about the thought of 220s possibly being set anywhere, and I'm sure the deer dog hunters feel the same. I've never shot a cross bow, never hunted ducks, or turkeys. Shooting pigs and coyotes from airplanes doesn't seem very sporting, but neither does shooting deer behind fences. Despite that though, I think that all the above mentioned methods of taking animals should remain legal. Just because

I don't enjoy doing some of them, doesn't mean that others don't. I would much rather see a 12 year old boy standing in a deer drive with dogs, than in his mother's basement shooting make believe people in Call of Duty. I'd be happy to see a wounded veteran, or an older gentleman who can't walk much anymore shooting a deer behind a fence (or at a feeder) than sitting around feeling sorry for themselves.

People hunt/trap/fish for different reasons. Gary says he enjoys silence when he hunts. Sometimes I do too, but nothing gets my blood pumping more than hearing a hound chasing a coon through the woods at night. I've never hunted a deer at a feeder, but thinking I should buy a feeder, because I hunt deer for only one reason and that is for meat. I don't look at killing a deer any differently than I do a domestic pig or cow. I wouldn't turn my cows or pigs loose and then try to stalk them to shoot them, lol. If I want sport, I'd go squirrel or bird hunting.

Just because people harvest animals in a way different than you do, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Last edited by jtg; 10/26/21 10:31 AM.
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388509
10/26/21 11:09 AM
10/26/21 11:09 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
we should remember not to judge another's hunting method too harsh

and remember we are judged harshly for our trapping techniques even when they are 100% legal and allow for animals to be released unharmed if non target

every culture and area has their own idea of fair chase.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388568
10/26/21 12:34 PM
10/26/21 12:34 PM
Southeast KY
K
K91773 Offline
trapper
K91773  Offline
trapper
K

Southeast KY
Here is what I know about hunting deer with dogs, most of the people that I have encountered doing it are more interested in the dogs than the deer and that is a good thing because they don't seem to kill many deer. Also they are like all hunters some are straight arrows, some like to cut corners and some are pure outlaws, this has nothing to do with hunting with dogs or not as this applies to every kind of hunting and life in general. Sure some release their hounds right on the boundary of a tract that they don't have permission to hunt on knowing the dogs will immediately cross the boundary but then I have known bowhunters that sneak onto land they don't have permission to be on because they know there is a trophy class buck using the property. It is not reasonable to lump all dog hunters into one pile any more than it is reasonable to lump all trappers into one pile. It is not for me but I do understand the draw of it if you enjoy running dogs.

Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7388664
10/26/21 02:39 PM
10/26/21 02:39 PM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Dogs that run deer end up dead here. We don't shoot them but everyone else around here does

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread