No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7389086
10/26/21 10:13 PM
10/26/21 10:13 PM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline
trapper
claycreech  Offline
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
It’s illegal in Missouri, but it’s still commonly done in the eastern Ozarks.

Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: cathryn] #7389130
10/26/21 11:19 PM
10/26/21 11:19 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Online content
trapper
walleye101  Online Content
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by cathryn
Dogs that run deer end up dead here. We don't shoot them but everyone else around here does

I live in Minnesota where dogs end up dead because they might be chasing deer, or thinking about chasing a deer. Folks around here are paranoid about their deer and have no understanding about hounds. Alot of great hound hunting traditions have been lost due to paranoia about a hound crossing someone's property.

Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7389155
10/26/21 11:46 PM
10/26/21 11:46 PM
AR
P
Preacherman Les Offline
trapper
Preacherman Les  Offline
trapper
P

AR
I grew up around it. I hate it. It would be helpful if there were a separate dog season. Dogs are a nuisance to those who have spent a lot of time & effort in preparing a stand & they don't respect property lines as already mentioned. I did not share any meat with dog runners. I am a hunting dog fan, just not for deer, at least during regular season.

Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Preacherman Les] #7389170
10/27/21 12:11 AM
10/27/21 12:11 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Preacherman Les
I grew up around it. I hate it. It would be helpful if there were a separate dog season. Dogs are a nuisance to those who have spent a lot of time & effort in preparing a stand & they don't respect property lines as already mentioned. I did not share any meat with dog runners. I am a hunting dog fan, just not for deer, at least during regular season.

Here in MS there are separate dog vs no dog deer seasons. But, without actually going to count the days, it seems like the dog hunters get a lot more days.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Preacherman Les] #7389259
10/27/21 06:57 AM
10/27/21 06:57 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by Preacherman Les

That's how I wish it were. Hate when the bucks are already up and chasing and hear dogs being turned loose. Dogs would be beneficial the last two weeks of gun season when deer rarely move during daylight hours.

Last edited by J Staton; 10/27/21 06:58 AM.
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7389667
10/27/21 01:53 PM
10/27/21 01:53 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
I live in the heart of deer hound country. I grew up hunting deer with dogs. Ran off my first wife and tore up 2 good trucks hunting deer with dogs from when I was about 17 years old to my mid 20s. Had a dozen Walker hounds at my peak that would move one rapidly out of these jungle-like swamps. Those hounds and I spent a lot of time in these pineywoods. I miss it sometime but I loved it too much. It was more about the hounds than the kill.

Hunting deer with hounds is an organized and very sociable way to hunt. It is a time honored and traditional way to hunt deer in this area. Nothing wrong with venison that has been ran...thats a myth. I sold my hounds and got into bowhunting in my mid-20s. Thought Id save money....wrong.

Most of the deer dog hunting leases here are large. 10 thousand to 20 thousand contiguous acres is common size. A few clubs are almost 30 thousand acres in size. Many have 40 to 70 members...all with 4x4 pickups. All their hounds have tracking collars and the trucks have the GPS receiver with mapping. This is to keep hounds off of unwanted properties and to make retrieval of the hounds more efficient.

The deer do sometimes line out and cover some ground during the race, but most cover less than a mile...crossing private roads and clearcuts during the pursuit....which is deadly for the deer many times. Meat is split up and shared...no matter who takes the deer. Many clubs won't shoot doe deer nor spike bucks.

As a GW for the past 26 year, Ive seen some rogue deer houndsmen, but Ive also see rogue still hunters too. I will sit by the fire and socialize at any deer dog hunting camp....and enjoy these houndsmen.

My kind of people . Thank you for sharing that .

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7389697
10/27/21 02:41 PM
10/27/21 02:41 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Some of the most enjoyable hunting I’ve ever done was with a jump dog. Only work on wood lots two to twenty five acres The dog stays out in front only fifty to one hundred yards and once he jumps a deer only runs at a few yards and comes and turns back.
You make 5 to 7 drives a day depending on how many do you shoot or kill. You use one driver and one dog.It gets excitIing

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Hunting deer with dogs [Re: Gary Benson] #7390314
10/28/21 01:04 AM
10/28/21 01:04 AM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
Here in France and most of Europe, the great majority of big game hunting is done with dogs. It would be impossible to control the wild boars any other way. We hunt with two small groups... a group of 8 or 9 for roe deer and red stag on Tuesdays and a group of about 17 or 18 for boar and stag on the weekends. Dogs all have GPS collars.

I'm about the only guy in either group who asks for a couple tags for individual hunting, archery or rifle. I usually get my two during the rut and then my wife and I hunt with the groups. Took some getting used to, but I enjoy it. Folks are nice and the dog guys really cover some ground during a day.

Pete

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread