No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What caliber for Gators [Re: Wolfdog91] #7389278
10/27/21 07:28 AM
10/27/21 07:28 AM
Piney va. soon be 19
cotton Offline
trapper
cotton  Offline
trapper

Piney va. soon be 19
just remember not to shoot em ya got choot em

John 3/16

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
VTA life member

Re: What caliber for Gators [Re: Sharon] #7389681
10/27/21 02:11 PM
10/27/21 02:11 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Sharon
If it's a surprise, I'd guess 22 mag.

That's what I'd guess based on watching the shows when they shoot the ones they hook. It kills them pretty quickly.
If I were to shoot a swimming one, I'd think a 223 or something similar.
Keep in mind, it's always dangerous to shoot across the water because of ricochet.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: What caliber for Gators [Re: charles] #7389688
10/27/21 02:21 PM
10/27/21 02:21 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by charles
When a gator is shot in open water, doesn’t it sink? Seems it would be hard to find and retrieve if the shooter was a long way from an open water kill site.

I saw a show where a guy shot one and it sunk. He cast out a large treble hook on heavy line and snagged the gator.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: What caliber for Gators [Re: Wolfdog91] #7390431
10/28/21 08:07 AM
10/28/21 08:07 AM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
So his favorite thing is a .22-250 with hyper explosive light bullet . Said he loves the Varmint Grenades. Now the reason for this is ricochets. According to him with there's type of bullets going the speed he's pushing them if you do mis and hit water they just fragment to nothing so there's no real chance of down range problems. Also he's shooting them basically in the ear alot of the time and that varmint bullets basically craters out their brain. Said even if it isn't a complete kill shot it will roll them over and knock them out till they can be snagged and brought to the bank

I wonder how a Varmint Grenade would work for coyote out of a 22-250 or maybe a 223.

Pretty enamored with a .243 slinging Sierra 55 grain pills for the same reason (ricochet concerns). It's effective. Line up half gallon milk cartons filled with water and that 55 won't touch the second jug in line. Seldom an exit on a coyote and if there is, it's just a small fragment. As long as you stay off of bone the entrance is .24 caliber. Hit a shoulder or other hard parts and it's a mess.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: What caliber for Gators [Re: Wolfdog91] #7390555
10/28/21 10:36 AM
10/28/21 10:36 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I was running V-max in the 300 black out , while there is no ricocheted concerns , you also can't get one through the neck on a deer they go in and they get dead right there but not out the neck is about the only place they work

I got a sacrificial sheep , it had to be put down and it was sick no meat could be salvaged , once she was dead from the first well placed shot putting her out of her pain I shot her several more times with different ammo down the neck shoulder and torso before she made the trip to the compost pile.

not one Vmax bullet exited , the hope had been that the 110gr 30cal vmax at the lower speeds of the 300bo about 2100-2200 fps would not come apart as bad

nothing but pieces starting about 2 inches in with 6 inches being the deepest I have seen them pernitrate but all pieces in the wound channel

they won't say for sure but I am fairly certain the Hornady T.A.P. urban LE ammo is 55gr v-max on 223 https://www.hornadyle.com/rifle-ammunition/55-gr-tap-urban#!/

it is an ammo for non barrier , because it does very little for penetration's if it hits sheet metal , glass or wood , not even that much with wall board

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread