No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
FFA National Convention... #7392558
10/30/21 09:05 PM
10/30/21 09:05 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
My daughter just got back, and said that our VP gave a telespeach to 50,000+ kids about agriculture at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. She told me that afterwards only 1 woman in the whole stadium applauded...maybe there is still some hope with our youth! Maybe someone else can confirm or deny her interpretation.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: FFA National Convention... [Re: Yukon John] #7392757
10/31/21 07:36 AM
10/31/21 07:36 AM
Grand Rapids, MN
D
deerdragger Offline
trapper
deerdragger  Offline
trapper
D

Grand Rapids, MN
I was at the convention as a chaperone. Our local chapter's Forestry Team and Wildlife Teams were both competing (and both took 5th place!). This was my second time attending this event - the first time was 3 or 4 years ago when Trump gave the closing keynote.

For those who are unaware - the FFA is the largest student-led organization in the world boasting over 700,000 members. The national convention typically hosts over 70,000 members. This year's numbers were down a bit to somewhere around 60,000. It is amazing to be in a space with so many positive, goal-oriented and respectful youth.

Having said all of that - I admit that I was terribly disappointed in some of the behaviors I observed this week. On a number of occasions I heard really heavy profanity. Okay - you're thinking that I'm a nut job for not accepting that teenagers swear. They shouldn't. Especially when in earshot of strangers. Each time I over heard it I'd call them on it - not in a harsh/preachy way - but I'd say something like, "hey - c'mon - let's not use that sort of language. You're not representing your chapter, your state, or yourself very well when you talk like that." I'd always get a sincere apology.

The other thing that hit me were the occasions when "Let's Go Brandon!" chants would start up. Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to agree that Biden's presidency has been a train wreck, but chanting that message is not reflective of the values, morals and leadership that the FFA jacket demands. Our chapter advisor pointed out that the behaviors we observed were undoubtedly a reflection of the absence of leadership training opportunities (due to COVID restrictions) over the past 2 years. I'm inclined to agree.

I digress.

Re: FFA National Convention... [Re: Yukon John] #7393142
10/31/21 05:01 PM
10/31/21 05:01 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Very interesting perspective, thank you!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: FFA National Convention... [Re: Yukon John] #7393265
10/31/21 07:36 PM
10/31/21 07:36 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
I went to the National decades ago to get my American farmer degree. First time on an airplane!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread