No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Cheap canning lids. [Re: J.Morse] #7400292
11/09/21 12:05 AM
11/09/21 12:05 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
when it is 5 dollars for a box of lids when you can find them and 10 for the case of jars with lids and bands , easier to just buy the case and have more for when things finally settle down

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 11/09/21 12:06 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Cheap canning lids. [Re: bblwi] #7400435
11/09/21 08:45 AM
11/09/21 08:45 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by bblwi
No I use the standard mileage rate for recording my auto expenses. I don't know what Amazon Prime costs, my wife uses it a lot. I will ask her.

Bryce

Well add that to your lid price. Does your wife pay for the gas in your truck? Still need to count it even if she does. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Cheap canning lids. [Re: J.Morse] #7400469
11/09/21 09:22 AM
11/09/21 09:22 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Larry, in your estimation, what would a fair price to add to the cost of lids for shipping?

Last edited by Steven 49er; 11/09/21 09:23 AM.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Cheap canning lids. [Re: Steven 49er] #7400483
11/09/21 09:37 AM
11/09/21 09:37 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Larry, in your estimation, what would a fair price to add to the cost of lids for shipping?

Steven when I seen garden plants selling out last spring you could buy canning lids for 1.99 at Walmart. I bought four cases at that time. I paid a few bucks to drive to Walmart I suppose. People need to get ahead of these shortages and think things out a bit. Case in point, I just put in an airtight wood stove. The IRS is allowing a 26% tax credit for the stove, hearth and chimney material, as well as labor. I bought mine before my gas company sent me a letter saying our gas budget was going up 65%. They build these high efficiency stoves in liberal states as well as liberal Canada where they have not produced them because of lock downs. If I had waited another week I doubt I could have bought a stove that would have qualified for the credit since it has to have a HHV of 75% which many on the market now do not have.

We are in a different world right now. Those who are forward looking will be way better off than those who wait til things are empty on the shelves. Plant a garden, raise some broilers, buy ammo when you can, put plenty of wood up, do not do things that cost you more money to do than you get in return (trapping). It may change eventually but right now it is not good and it is not going to change anytime soon. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Cheap canning lids. [Re: J.Morse] #7400512
11/09/21 10:14 AM
11/09/21 10:14 AM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan

[/quote]

Of lids? Or jars? I've found jars there... but never just boxes of lids.[/quote]

early in the summer they had cases of jars but then they ran out. maybe a month ago the shelves were restocked with jars and there are still quite a few. no lids were available during the entire summer any time i checked. now the lids showed up. a few cases of lids and bands but mainly just the flats of lids. piles of wide mouth that dont seem as popular. plenty of regular lids too but you can see they are more popular and selling. $2.97 was price.

Re: Cheap canning lids. [Re: J.Morse] #7400884
11/09/21 08:44 PM
11/09/21 08:44 PM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Cases of flats (lids). Early summer was too late. They were Golden Harvest lids made by Rubbermaid in Nebraska USA. I don't need rings. I have hundreds of them and only use them until the flat seals and the jar is cool. Then the rings come off and they and the jars full of food get washed and sat to dry and be observed for a few days before they go into our downstairs pantry. They were 1.99 a dozen when I bought them. I own over 500 jars. Many of all sizes from half pint to half gallon. I have canned all my life. People should have learned from last season when there were no canning supplies and bought when there was. LLL

Re: Cheap canning lids. [Re: LLtrapper] #7400938
11/09/21 09:47 PM
11/09/21 09:47 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by LLtrapper
Cases of flats (lids). Early summer was too late. They were Golden Harvest lids made by Rubbermaid in Nebraska USA. I don't need rings. I have hundreds of them and only use them until the flat seals and the jar is cool. Then the rings come off and they and the jars full of food get washed and sat to dry and be observed for a few days before they go into our downstairs pantry. They were 1.99 a dozen when I bought them. I own over 500 jars. Many of all sizes from half pint to half gallon. I have canned all my life. People should have learned from last season when there were no canning supplies and bought when there was. LLL

Not all parts of the country are the same, Larry. I've been looking for just lids for almost 2 years and the first time I found them was early summer. Also Golden Harvest, at Dollar General. I hadn't bought any more 2 years ago because I still had 50 boxes or so and didn't figure the shortage would last 2 years. I hadn't run out of old lids yet, and when I found them I bought enough to last me for the next couple years. So I was never without lids, but was to the point I was getting nervous and saving all of my once used ones.

In canning groups I'm in I see some people are having trouble finding jars and have been for some time. Here, I've been able to find jars all along. So it seems what's available varies greatly based on where you live.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Cheap canning lids. [Re: J.Morse] #7400947
11/09/21 09:55 PM
11/09/21 09:55 PM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
I guess what I was saying was you can’t wait until you need something to buy it anymore. If you use a it of something it is a good idea to buy more than you need. LLL

Re: Cheap canning lids. [Re: J.Morse] #7400962
11/09/21 10:07 PM
11/09/21 10:07 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
I very seldom go into a Walmart or a dollar general type store.

Usually I get my canning supplies from a big box fleet type store like fleet farm, runnings, l&m fleet etc. I don't think I saw a lid all this past year. Didn't look every time I was there. From talking to others lids weren't in big supply up here this year. I don't can much like many of you most years 40 or 50 quarts of something. Im good on lids for several years.

Re: Cheap canning lids. [Re: Steven 49er] #7401036
11/10/21 12:17 AM
11/10/21 12:17 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
No I buy the gas for my truck or should say we do. Amazon prime allows us to get free shipping with our orders and there is no cost to that. I have checked to see if the listed prices vary or go up if you enter as a prime customer versus not prime and the answer is no. I don't need to record gas costs when using the standard mileage rate. The neat thing about SMR is that I get the same rate driving a 7K vehicle as I do a 28K vehicle. We do not tax deduct our gardening expenses as they are not a part of my Schedule C business.

Bryce

Re: Cheap canning lids. [Re: bblwi] #7401177
11/10/21 08:54 AM
11/10/21 08:54 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by bblwi
No I buy the gas for my truck or should say we do. Amazon prime allows us to get free shipping with our orders and there is no cost to that. I have checked to see if the listed prices vary or go up if you enter as a prime customer versus not prime and the answer is no. I don't need to record gas costs when using the standard mileage rate. The neat thing about SMR is that I get the same rate driving a 7K vehicle as I do a 28K vehicle. We do not tax deduct our gardening expenses as they are not a part of my Schedule C business.

Bryce

If you are not recording costs I pray you never get audited by the IRS. They want your daily mileage log as well as fuel and repairs receipts when you do get audited. Amazon Prime is around 18.00 a month. Your shipping is NOT free. LLL

Re: Cheap canning lids. [Re: J.Morse] #7401356
11/10/21 12:36 PM
11/10/21 12:36 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
If you pay Prime by the year it's 119 plus tax. If you use it enough the shipping is not only free it will make you money through savings so to speak. I purchased a cot the other day, would have cost me 20 to ship it. Do that 6 times and my prime paid for itself.

Also, there is video streaming that comes with it that adds value.

Re: Cheap canning lids. [Re: J.Morse] #7401408
11/10/21 01:40 PM
11/10/21 01:40 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I keep a log and by using the SMR I don't need to keep all the repair and expense items, they are built into the SMR as is the depreciation.

Bryce

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread