No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Bobcat pelt project? #7411104
11/21/21 03:14 PM
11/21/21 03:14 PM
NC
T
Trap828 Offline OP
trapper
Trap828  Offline OP
trapper
T

NC
So yesterday it killed a bobcat while out scouting for deer sign. I was in an area I don’t trap and had to seize the opportunity at hand. But I have a bit of an issue with the pelt. Since I live in an area where black bear and wild hogs are about I carried my .308 just in case I could have got a shot off at one. So the cat had a pretty good hole under its head in the neck area. Like a hole big enough for you fist to pass through. I hate to waste anything so I skinned it out and fleshed it and it’s drying now. I thought about tanning it but I don’t know what to do with it because the hole in the neck is so large. What have you guys done in the past with these types of pelts? Flood me with your ideas!

Re: Bobcat pelt project? [Re: Trap828] #7411137
11/21/21 03:40 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
Still should be enough useable fur for a hat or other project. A good hat maker can work around that hole with no,problem.

Could even be a wall hanger for some one that doesn’t mind the hole.

Too early for it to have much fur value even without the hole. I’m sure you will find a use for it.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Bobcat pelt project? [Re: Trap828] #7411138
carolina, Alabama
The Possum Man Offline
trapper
The Possum Man  Offline
trapper

carolina, Alabama
carefully sew up the hole and continue. It will be a "damaged" pelt but you can easily make it presentable enough to hang on the wall. You can send it off to the tannery or you could do it yourself. If you screw it up all your out is an already damaged pelt anyway. There is also meat, glands, pee, and a skull to save on that cat too.

"If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough"
Re: Bobcat pelt project? [Re: Trap828] #7411151
11/21/21 03:52 PM
11/21/21 03:52 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Usually all the fur is there when you blast a big hole in an animal with a high power rifle.Sometimes its like a jigsaw puzzle bringing the flaps back into their proper position for sewing.
I always sew any damage on a skin before sending to the tanner.Sews will come out during tanning but often not until near the end of the process.it will be much easier to repair when that is the case with much less loss of square inches of fur.The tannery I use will sew up defects that show up near the end of the process.
If you dont sew larger holes before tanning they are much bigger after going thru the tanning process and a lot more square inches of fur is lost in the repair after tanning.
Like wissmiss said you should have a lot of useable fur even with a large hole in the neck.

Last edited by Boco; 11/21/21 03:56 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Bobcat pelt project? [Re: The Possum Man] #7411247
11/21/21 05:32 PM
11/21/21 05:32 PM
NC
T
Trap828 Offline OP
trapper
Trap828  Offline OP
trapper
T

NC
Originally Posted by The Possum Man
carefully sew up the hole and continue. It will be a "damaged" pelt but you can easily make it presentable enough to hang on the wall. You can send it off to the tannery or you could do it yourself. If you screw it up all your out is an already damaged pelt anyway. There is also meat, glands, pee, and a skull to save on that cat too.

There will be no skull of value on this cat! Hit it with its head down, in through the nose and out through the neck. Not a desirable shot but it’s what I was presented with so that’s what I took.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread