No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bounties [Re: Blaine County] #7413315
11/24/21 09:23 AM
11/24/21 09:23 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by Blaine County
If the market for fur totally crashes or stays crashed, at what point will state governments start offering bounties on coyotes and other fur bearers that can impact agriculture and other aspects of society? Obviously, a lot of guys won't trap if the money isn't there and a tipping point will be reached.

I'm curious what some of the old timers think.

Back to the original topic, paid animal control programs are already becoming more common. Most will avoid the term bounty as Wildlife agencies have spent decades demonising bounty programs, as costly and ineffective.

Re: Bounties [Re: Blaine County] #7413335
11/24/21 09:49 AM
11/24/21 09:49 AM
NW Oklahoma
O
Okie Farmer Offline
trapper
Okie Farmer  Offline
trapper
O

NW Oklahoma
I agree with the asset philosophy.

I just don't see ranchers here paying people to trap coyotes, for example. I could be wrong.

Your correct, they'll get the government trapper to come in and do it.

A friend was asking about trapping one place and was asked what he would pay with a half ate calf laying on the ground between them.

Re: Bounties [Re: Blaine County] #7413370
11/24/21 10:35 AM
11/24/21 10:35 AM
SWEET HOME OREGON
W
willvalley Offline
trapper
willvalley  Offline
trapper
W

SWEET HOME OREGON
USDA trappers around here have not been the best. Sheep producers, timber companies, and
some farmers in this area rely more on private nuisance control.
I know a fellow who with his partner do year round control work. They trap Coyote, beaver, squirrel, bear, cougar and other critters when called.

They are more then good at what they do. The older one used to cut timber. A good paying but dangerous job. He does as well or better now doing what he loves.

No tax dollars used for them. East side of state a different deal. Some very good hard working USDA trappers there.

FROM MY DEAD HANDS
Re: Bounties [Re: Blaine County] #7413372
11/24/21 10:36 AM
11/24/21 10:36 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I’m kind of laughing now when fur was up a bit all we heard about was how useless bounties were back then. SMH crazy It seems like a good idea to them now to some of the same folks.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bounties [Re: Blaine County] #7413378
11/24/21 10:41 AM
11/24/21 10:41 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
I've never understood the concept of paying a landowner for trapping rights.Most of the time you're taking out animals that are doing,or about to do damage.In the past when fur was higher there were some landowners that had the idea lots if money was being paid out and if some of that was coming off their land they wanted a cut of it.Yet,these landowners wanted beaver flooding stopped,coon out of the corn,coyotes away from their calves.All for nothing.If these present market conditions continue and animal damage continues to grow some farmers and ranchers,and some Fish and Game Dept.s are going to have no choice but to implement a system they've been condemning for years.Many of these types don't know how good they had it when prices were high and trappers were everywhere trapping for nothing but the price of the fur.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Bounties [Re: Blaine County] #7413389
11/24/21 10:54 AM
11/24/21 10:54 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Some states are already on board with bounties, as mentioned. I’ve seen marsh improvement in areas overrun by nutrias. There is a $6 nutria bounty.

I am not against bounties, as long as they’re done right. I have collected on quite a few of them myself, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t risks in open bounty programs for those paying bounties as well as those who are doing it correctly. The looser the program, the greater the risk of problems. In my opinion, bounties on native species such as beaver are best handled on district levels when dealing with the public. Private companies can handle them however they wish. People that know their areas should be in charge of payment, not just some secretary that blindly hands over payment for more tails than an area could realistically produce to greatly reduce the risk of someone trying to buy $2 northern tails then turning them in as Louisiana/Arkansas/Anywhere tails.

Re: Bounties [Re: Law Dog] #7413395
11/24/21 11:00 AM
11/24/21 11:00 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Law Dog
I’m kind of laughing now when fur was up a bit all we heard about was how useless bounties were back then. SMH crazy It seems like a good idea to them now to some of the same folks.

Bounties replace good fur prices during low price years. It can work for the Trapper when the potential catch volume is high or the expectations are low (considering).

Programs can’t be successful without being properly run. Catch photos on site with location services turned on is a great start. Transfer photos when cashing in. These days, nearly everyone has a cell phone that can do this.

Re: Bounties [Re: Blaine County] #7413404
11/24/21 11:12 AM
11/24/21 11:12 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Utah has a bounty on coyotes,apparently Louisiana has a bounty on Nutria.And as far as I know,that's it.There are local bounties or programs in some states run by other agencies than the f and G Dept.,like the Dept of Transportation.Or a livestock group.Most Game Depts.won't have anything to do with a bounty,so far.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Bounties [Re: white17] #7413419
11/24/21 11:36 AM
11/24/21 11:36 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by white17
Wasn't SD paying a bounty on coyote/coon scalps or tails the last few years ??

SD has a $10 bounty on striped skunks, coons, possums, fox and badgers but coyotes are not included they are targeted by our State Trappers mostly in the off season. Most furbearer animals here have no seasons on them they are open the year round. It just makes pest control easier without the red tape and butt kissing to trap them when they are a problem if they were protected with a season.

Last I knew the State trapping program was duel funded by the State and the Feds together here in SD, license fees pay the States part since the control efforts benefit everyone.

Some States west of SD are funded by the counties you get paid a contract amount and you supply everything yourself. Funding comes from several entities including the producers.

The trapping program was originally a extension program to teach the landowners to trap their own problems I’ve been told but that was not practical to make instant coyote trappers.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bounties [Re: walleye101] #7413485
11/24/21 12:53 PM
11/24/21 12:53 PM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma
Originally Posted by walleye101
Originally Posted by Davisfur
I agree with you Blaine that the farmers and ranchers won't pay for predator control. They will have the usda trappers do it at taxpayers expense or let one of the hundreds of guys with thermal take care of them like they do hogs. I buy from some guys who use thermal a ways North of me and they say their orders from landowners are usually "shoot anything with a heat signature except for the cows including but not limited to coyotes, hogs, opossum, coon, beaver, geese, deer, and feral dogs."

Must be a good thermal to tell the difference is a dog is feral or not.

Nope not good enough to tell if it's feral or not but most farmers consider any dog inside thier fence that's not thiers feral and to be shot on sight. And no 2 am deer and geese are not legal but that makes no nevermind to some.

Re: Bounties [Re: Okie Farmer] #7413527
11/24/21 01:41 PM
11/24/21 01:41 PM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
Originally Posted by Okie Farmer
I agree with the asset philosophy.

I just don't see ranchers here paying people to trap coyotes, for example. I could be wrong.

Your correct, they'll get the government trapper to come in and do it.

A friend was asking about trapping one place and was asked what he would pay with a half ate calf laying on the ground between them.
Ive had this happen a handful of times. One time a guy invited me over to do an estimate for beaver control. I told him I’d get him the estimate that week. He asked how much I thought he’d roughly get. I asked him to clarify. He asked how much I was going to pay him. I told him I came to give HIM an estimate on what it would cost to eradicate the beavers that we’re eating his timber - that he sells. He said, “Well, I know you get $300 per beaver pelt.” I asked him why he thought that and he said he had watched mountain men. I told him I’d sell him every beaver for $100. I never did trap there.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Bounties [Re: Blaine County] #7414013
11/24/21 10:53 PM
11/24/21 10:53 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Bounties don't work.
They have never worked.
They never will work.
In order to solve a wildlife problem (pick any species), you need to focus your efforts on eliminating the specific individuals which are causing the damage.
The only way a random bounty program would work would be if you had enough bounty hunters scattered evenly across the State/States to completely eradicate the species.

Re: Bounties [Re: 52Carl] #7414020
11/24/21 10:59 PM
11/24/21 10:59 PM
nwpa
F
furstroker Offline
trapper
furstroker  Offline
trapper
F

nwpa
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Bounties don't work.
They have never worked.
They never will work.
In order to solve a wildlife problem (pick any species), you need to focus your efforts on eliminating the specific individuals which are causing the damage.
The only way a random bounty program would work would be if you had enough bounty hunters scattered evenly across the State/States to completely eradicate the species.

Sounds like it would work for marxist commies ...now how do we implement?

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread