No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... #7413753
11/24/21 05:45 PM
11/24/21 05:45 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
...when it comes to improvising with food , when you don't have typical ingredients ?

What would you replace in a recipe if you are lacking some classic ingredients ? There are very imaginative minds here, I'm sure that would come up with some novel replacements and still turn out winner meals.

This is a challenge I find motivating to do at times. I've helped friends and even some very capable chefs find suitable replacements that even they didn't think of when they saw they were out of something needed.

Green beanie casserole , for example.

I didnt have flouah....not even a can of cream of shroom or cream of anything to add ...no store shrooms, but do have nice dried Morels that I pick every May . No block cheddar cheese.

Nothing replaces bacon, and I do have that !

Ok. Got the beanies out . Soaked a dish of morels , cut up onions, and garlic.

Dont evah throw out the juices from beanies or the shrooms soaking....save it for adding into anything, gravy, etc.

Look in your pantry and cupboards, see what you have for the creamed sauce for the casserole....see any crackahs ? Pancake mix ? Even bread can be crushed up and mixed with milk or water to make a cream sauce...well I had some biscuit mix from Red Lobstah !

Melted buttah in a pan and stirred the biscuit mix in, then some canned milk and a wee bit of the juice from the morels and beanies. Perfect. Had my "cream of shroom soup " mix .

No block cheddar cheese, but did have some cheddar slices for sandwiches , so I'll use those to melt ovah the top when it is almost done baking .

I think it will be good ! I'll bake it later, just wanted to show the Tribe how fun it can be to improvise, like a good musician.

Have something that takes nutmeg ? Like in a pie or sweet potatoes ? No nutmeg ? Try cinnamon, or allspice. Even some ground ginger can suffice.

I'm reminded of a favourite old TV series, Northern Exposure. When Shelly , who ran the bar with her Holling, accidentally dropped a bottle of wine and broke the base , spilling it all, that was worth thousands of dollars. A friend , who was the gal of a world renown chef, Adam, and a Vietnam Veteran, was with her and said no worries, she was good in improvising . She took that empty bottle , glued the base back on ( it was a clean break) , and with cheap wine and some spices, along with a pinch of Alaskan dirt, she made the replacement . That night when the bottle was opened at a table of impressive guests , Chef Adam did the honors. He smelled the wine , described in detail its fruity and bass tone flavours, poured a little and sipped....he said .."its.....its....its......perfect !" Shelly picked her jaw off the floor in waiting, and her friend just smiled in secure assurance.... smile

Love that series.

Onions, bacon, seasonings , garlic and morels last to finish up...
[Linked Image]
Cream of shroom improvisation ... biscuit mix, buttah, can milk, bowl of beanie and morel juice. The pan in back is my Hungarian venison stew...another dish entirely ....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mix into beanies and ready to bake ! Put cheese on top if desired after baking is finished.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good food and life lived well....see you on the surface cool

Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413754
11/24/21 05:49 PM
11/24/21 05:49 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
You're a talented artist in the kitchen as well as on canvas. It looks yummy!

Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413756
11/24/21 05:52 PM
11/24/21 05:52 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Online content
trapper
yotetrapper30  Online Content
trapper

Oakland, MS
I improvise stuff all the time, lol. But I don't think I've ever not had flour, lol.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413772
11/24/21 06:15 PM
11/24/21 06:15 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
"Chef Adam" was a true "missing link" connoisseur . . . and his wife was absolutely a certifiable whack job! grin

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413802
11/24/21 07:08 PM
11/24/21 07:08 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
Boss is correct true work of art. I had to cook for only myself tonight. First time in 18 years I had a spam sandwich. No pics for obvious reasons!

Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413807
11/24/21 07:14 PM
11/24/21 07:14 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
BTW I own the series. Thought I was alone after all these years of weird looks when I bring it up! Like Doc Hollywood times 1000! Without the anti agenda!

Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413811
11/24/21 07:16 PM
11/24/21 07:16 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Thank you Mr Paul ! Good food is useful art to me grin

Angela, You're right...most have flouah , I love coconut flouah...very good for low carb enthusiasts ...but I don't have it this time. I could have gone into the nearest town to get some, but for such a small amount I figured making do with improvising would work .

SJA, you got it ! Love Adam in these shows ! The fireworks on the 4th was especially enjoyable for me. As well as the first time Joel met him and took him to his shack and cooked the most amazing meals Joel had eveah had. Even for a New York Doctor ! And the time Adam was hired by Minnifield to make that special rendering of 40 cows for the special event....love that series. Yes, she was ...can't think of the name for it...hooked on thinking she had everything wrong with her ! But she did save that night with the outrageous expensive wine !

T Thomas, it's a great series ! How often things happen in life, and I think of a show that matches the occasion !

Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413818
11/24/21 07:27 PM
11/24/21 07:27 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
I'm all the time "dressing up" box dinners etc, especially like to take Hamburger or whatever Helpers, and using them without meat as a casserole.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413833
11/24/21 07:38 PM
11/24/21 07:38 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Eve was a seriously mental hypochondriac grin

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413851
11/24/21 08:05 PM
11/24/21 08:05 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
SJA that's the term !

That was among the most loved series I've seen . Along with Yellowstone.

Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413946
11/24/21 09:57 PM
11/24/21 09:57 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
My favorites were Ron & Eric ! whistle

Mean As Nails
Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413950
11/24/21 10:06 PM
11/24/21 10:06 PM
nwpa
F
furstroker Offline
trapper
furstroker  Offline
trapper
F

nwpa
Originally Posted by Sharon
...when it comes to improvising with food , when you don't have typical ingredients ?

What would you replace in a recipe if you are lacking some classic ingredients ? There are very imaginative minds here, I'm sure that would come up with some novel replacements and still turn out winner meals.

This is a challenge I find motivating to do at times. I've helped friends and even some very capable chefs find suitable replacements that even they didn't think of when they saw they were out of something needed.

Green beanie casserole , for example.

I didnt have flouah....not even a can of cream of shroom or cream of anything to add ...no store shrooms, but do have nice dried Morels that I pick every May . No block cheddar cheese.

Nothing replaces bacon, and I do have that !

Ok. Got the beanies out . Soaked a dish of morels , cut up onions, and garlic.

Dont evah throw out the juices from beanies or the shrooms soaking....save it for adding into anything, gravy, etc.

Look in your pantry and cupboards, see what you have for the creamed sauce for the casserole....see any crackahs ? Pancake mix ? Even bread can be crushed up and mixed with milk or water to make a cream sauce...well I had some biscuit mix from Red Lobstah !

Melted buttah in a pan and stirred the biscuit mix in, then some canned milk and a wee bit of the juice from the morels and beanies. Perfect. Had my "cream of shroom soup " mix .

No block cheddar cheese, but did have some cheddar slices for sandwiches , so I'll use those to melt ovah the top when it is almost done baking .

I think it will be good ! I'll bake it later, just wanted to show the Tribe how fun it can be to improvise, like a good musician.

Have something that takes nutmeg ? Like in a pie or sweet potatoes ? No nutmeg ? Try cinnamon, or allspice. Even some ground ginger can suffice.

I'm reminded of a favourite old TV series, Northern Exposure. When Shelly , who ran the bar with her Holling, accidentally dropped a bottle of wine and broke the base , spilling it all, that was worth thousands of dollars. A friend , who was the gal of a world renown chef, Adam, and a Vietnam Veteran, was with her and said no worries, she was good in improvising . She took that empty bottle , glued the base back on ( it was a clean break) , and with cheap wine and some spices, along with a pinch of Alaskan dirt, she made the replacement . That night when the bottle was opened at a table of impressive guests , Chef Adam did the honors. He smelled the wine , described in detail its fruity and bass tone flavours, poured a little and sipped....he said .."its.....its....its......perfect !" Shelly picked her jaw off the floor in waiting, and her friend just smiled in secure assurance.... smile

Love that series.

Onions, bacon, seasonings , garlic and morels last to finish up...
[Linked Image]
Cream of shroom improvisation ... biscuit mix, buttah, can milk, bowl of beanie and morel juice. The pan in back is my Hungarian venison stew...another dish entirely ....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mix into beanies and ready to bake ! Put cheese on top if desired after baking is finished.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good food and life lived well....see you on the surface cool

It needs more possum. grin ...looks exquisite. All are lucky who get to partake.

Last edited by furstroker; 11/24/21 10:08 PM.
Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413954
11/24/21 10:18 PM
11/24/21 10:18 PM
uniontown pa
G
gutthooked Offline
trapper
gutthooked  Offline
trapper
G

uniontown pa
That casserole looks yummy!!!

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: white17] #7413955
11/24/21 10:19 PM
11/24/21 10:19 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by white17

LOL ! Riiiight ! They were smart in investing in Alaska B&B S ! I like how Minnifeild called them out on everything he disliked.

Furstroker...more possum !
grin

Thank you GH ! It will be with cheese melted on top !

Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413960
11/24/21 10:25 PM
11/24/21 10:25 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK

LOL ! Riiiight ! They were smart in investing in Alaska B&B S ! I like how Minnifeild called them out on everything he disliked.

grin

The local library here has the complete series.I watch it about once every six months.

Even though I can't tolerate Joel, each episode ends with a happy resolution for everyone. A nice antidote to the gloom of the times we live in.

I enjoy the ridiculous references to Sleetmute. The music store, restaurant, catering etc. I have been to Sleetmute many times and it is factual to say it is very difficult to locate anyone who is not drunk or stoned. There are certainly no cultural amenities located there.

But it's still a delightful series

Mean As Nails
Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413965
11/24/21 10:29 PM
11/24/21 10:29 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware

grin

I guess everything comes "full circle"? . . . Cicely & Roslyn started Saloon in the "town".

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413970
11/24/21 10:31 PM
11/24/21 10:31 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Good point ! And don't forget Chris's fascination with Walt Whitman

Mean As Nails
Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413972
11/24/21 10:33 PM
11/24/21 10:33 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
I think just the name Sleetmute is appealing to the producers.

I remember ....

Joel was an idiot but in the end, came around as you said for a happy ending for everyone.

I Love the song. Our Town.......I love it.

The original series with the original music is the only way to see it. Which isn't the Amazon bought series....

Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413990
11/24/21 10:44 PM
11/24/21 10:44 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
I thought the best music in the series was by Enya I think there was 4 or 5 songs?

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: What's Fah Dinnah...Are You Creative.... [Re: Sharon] #7413992
11/24/21 10:45 PM
11/24/21 10:45 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W