No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Howell Bros] #7412436
11/23/21 09:39 AM
11/23/21 09:39 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Howell Bros
We are far enough in on public land that interactions are minimal. I did have a guy set up 100 yards away from me opening morning. He was mad I was there. I was indifferent. The buck I shot walked right past him while he was sleeping at about 30 yards. The piece we hunt is around 4500 acres of ridges and river. I always tell other hunters that get worked up when we get too close, I'll just be over the ridge if you need help dragging your deer out. Had one guy actually come looking for help when he realized how bad the drag would be. Also in Wisconsin you can only leave the gut pile behind when quartering a deer. Anything else is considered littering. Always figured if we keep the deer together it would be better than packing out bones and hide and legs.

What year did that happen [with the guts]?

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7412449
11/23/21 09:57 AM
11/23/21 09:57 AM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
Last line is answer and proposals have been made but not adopted.

CAN I DISPOSE OF MY CARCASS IN THE FIELD? While it is legal to leave a deer carcass in the field of harvest, landfilling is the preferred method of disposal. If landfilling is not available, either directly or through a dedicated dumpster, hunters may obtain landowner permission to dispose of deer carcasses on private property as close to the site of harvest as possible. Anyone using this option should also place the carcass waste in a location where other deer and scavengers are unlikely to encounter it.ARE THERE RESTRICTIONS ON WHERE I CAN MOVE A DEER CARCASS?Yes, because chronic wasting disease can be spread to deer through contact with deer carcasses, deer carcass movement is restricted, especially in CWD-affected areas. Deer harvested in a CWD-affected area may only be transported to another county within the CWD-affected area or a county adjacent to the CWD-affected area. An exception is made if the carcass is being transported to a licensed meat processor or taxidermist. Deer heads may also be transported to any CWD sampling station within the state. See s. NR 10.105 for a full list of exceptions.Deer carcasses are solid waste, and it is illegal to dispose of waste on any public lands or roadways as well as on private property without permission. (Field dressing a deer and leaving the gut pile and associated animal parts onsite on public or private land is permitted.

Born twice, die once
Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Macthediver] #7412451
11/23/21 10:01 AM
11/23/21 10:01 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota

Mac[/quote
Originally Posted by Macthediver
My son shot his best deer ever Saturday morning around 8:15. Shot it with 270 at 85 yards and literally dropped it in it's tracks. I've seen and tracked a lot of deer over the years people have shot. Think this is first one went straight down never even kicked a leaf out of place. He said when he shot it just disappeared. He stayed on his stand and directed me threw the woods to it.
This is considered a big buck for public land in Clark Co and I have to agree. Right place at right time I guess is what it takes.
I seen two does Saturday and four deer on Sunday. Wind was brutal Sunday even had couple tree fall lose enough make a guy jump.

[Linked Image]

Mac

It's all about the bullet placement!
Great Buck!!!! Tell your Son , Good shooting!

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7412465
11/23/21 10:13 AM
11/23/21 10:13 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
How does quartering a deer leave any bones behind? Now If you were boning It out that would be different.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Fishdog One] #7412470
11/23/21 10:17 AM
11/23/21 10:17 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Fishdog One
Last line is answer and proposals have been made but not adopted.

CAN I DISPOSE OF MY CARCASS IN THE FIELD? While it is legal to leave a deer carcass in the field of harvest, landfilling is the preferred method of disposal. If landfilling is not available, either directly or through a dedicated dumpster, hunters may obtain landowner permission to dispose of deer carcasses on private property as close to the site of harvest as possible. Anyone using this option should also place the carcass waste in a location where other deer and scavengers are unlikely to encounter it.ARE THERE RESTRICTIONS ON WHERE I CAN MOVE A DEER CARCASS?Yes, because chronic wasting disease can be spread to deer through contact with deer carcasses, deer carcass movement is restricted, especially in CWD-affected areas. Deer harvested in a CWD-affected area may only be transported to another county within the CWD-affected area or a county adjacent to the CWD-affected area. An exception is made if the carcass is being transported to a licensed meat processor or taxidermist. Deer heads may also be transported to any CWD sampling station within the state. See s. NR 10.105 for a full list of exceptions.Deer carcasses are solid waste, and it is illegal to dispose of waste on any public lands or roadways as well as on private property without permission. (Field dressing a deer and leaving the gut pile and associated animal parts onsite on public or private land is permitted.

So leaving the Guts is fine...like it always was.

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7412472
11/23/21 10:18 AM
11/23/21 10:18 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Typically a quartered deer would leave behind spine and ribs.

Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: 330-Trapper] #7412476
11/23/21 10:24 AM
11/23/21 10:24 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Mac[/quote
Originally Posted by Macthediver
My son shot his best deer ever Saturday morning around 8:15. Shot it with 270 at 85 yards and literally dropped it in it's tracks. I've seen and tracked a lot of deer over the years people have shot. Think this is first one went straight down never even kicked a leaf out of place. He said when he shot it just disappeared. He stayed on his stand and directed me threw the woods to it.
This is considered a big buck for public land in Clark Co and I have to agree. Right place at right time I guess is what it takes.
I seen two does Saturday and four deer on Sunday. Wind was brutal Sunday even had couple tree fall lose enough make a guy jump.

[Linked Image]

Mac

It's all about the bullet placement!
Great Buck!!!! Tell your Son , Good shooting!

Thanks 330!
My son decided this year he was going to try a neck shot on any deer he got chance to shoot. See how little meat damage he would do. So this deer was shot in the neck which was a first for him. He said it was hit right where he intended. Which was just in front of right front shoulder in the neck. I pulled the hide off it last night so got better look at shot placement. When he field dressed the deer the lungs were scrabbled. Looking at the neck hit in field we couldn't find exit wound. With the hide off I see could see where the bullet exited on left. I won't know until today as we break it down what the actual bullet track was. It really didn't look like it bruise much going in or coming out. He is shoot federal trophy bond which is also new for him. I'm not sure what that bullet hit going where it did? But like said in original post. It literally dropped like rock. Whole front chest cavity was full blood and lungs mush.
Bullet for sure did job with what looks like minimum meat damaged.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7412477
11/23/21 10:25 AM
11/23/21 10:25 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Not necessarily. You might just remove the hind quarters to lighten the load and drag out the rest intact. But I see what your getting at.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7412546
11/23/21 12:08 PM
11/23/21 12:08 PM
Barnum, MN
S
ScottW Offline
trapper
ScottW  Offline
trapper
S

Barnum, MN
Of course the rib cage etc will be left behind when quartering 99% of the time. I guess we have some archaic ridiculous laws on the books in some states I was unaware of. If everyone quartered out their deer and left the rib cage in the field at the kill site it would probably help unsightly carcass dumping along country roads! Happy trapping! ScottW

Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7412556
11/23/21 12:18 PM
11/23/21 12:18 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
leaving the gut is fine as is parts after quartering the way that it reads , transporting then dumping parts is not

you couldn't even quarter until out number of heart attacks in the woods had well exceeded the total of all hunting accidents year after year

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7414368
11/25/21 11:06 AM
11/25/21 11:06 AM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Well we are back to civilization and internet. We had a great week at deer camp in Sawyer County. As a group we saw 87 deer many out of range and some were obviously deer we'd seen the day before but it is nice to have deer to look at. Sure makes sitting a lot less boring especially for the young hunters. We had a couple firsts this year first, one young man a got his first deer on Sunday made a good shot and got a nice 132 lb doe! Then on Monday The Boy got his first buck! I ended up getting a small doe yesterday morning. The Boy sleeps in a stand more than anyone I know lol.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Had to wake The Boy up when the buck was coming in lol

[Linked Image]
This young man and his father lost their hunting land this year. He is a good friend and team mate of The Boy so I invited them to hunt with us this year. It was awesome listening to the youngins sharing hunt stories when they thought nobody else was listening. They sure can embellish with the best of us lol.

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7414551
11/25/21 02:58 PM
11/25/21 02:58 PM
Siren, WI
B
bwtrapper Offline
trapper
bwtrapper  Offline
trapper
B

Siren, WI
Had a total knee replacement on November 9th. Got a license to shoot from my car. It was pretty uncomfortable in a vehicle all day so brought a stool out Sunday, about 3 feet tall.Was stting watching a deer on the fire lane about 7 on Sunday morning. Probably about 100 yards away. Something made me decide to turn around and there was a spike at the edge of the woods watching me. 40 yards away. One shot, he didn't go far. Texted my son about half mile away and he had it gutted, drug out and in my suv in a half hour. Very happy and going tomorrow and Saturday to try for another.

Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7414588
11/25/21 03:56 PM
11/25/21 03:56 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Please tell The Boy congratulations for me! Looks just like my first buck! Perfectly fine to sleep in the stand as long as you're awake when go time comes!

Moosetrot

Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7414703
11/25/21 07:07 PM
11/25/21 07:07 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Thanks Moosie he was excited to hear your first buck was a spike too!

Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7414794
11/25/21 09:38 PM
11/25/21 09:38 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Trap Setter
Tell that boy great job Congratulations! Any buck is a nice buck. Show me a deer hunter says never dozed in woods. I show you a liar. lol
I've been known to snooze a bit myself.

I actually have the rack off the first buck I ever shot with gun think 1970. Wasn't my first season but the second missed a doe first year. Dad screwed the rack to piece oak and my mom sewed little brown cloth on it. This hung in my parents old cottage until dad die.
I put the nickel in there for size reference, didn't have quarter and nickel makes look bigger.

[Linked Image]

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7414795
11/25/21 09:40 PM
11/25/21 09:40 PM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Thats awesome Mac a true trophy for sure. He is so pumped he reminds me he shot a buck about 5 times a day lol

Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7414848
11/25/21 11:09 PM
11/25/21 11:09 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Trap Setter Congrats to the boy.

glad he can sleep , I used to put a strap around my chest and the tree then take a little nap waiting for it to get light

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7414947
11/26/21 07:48 AM
11/26/21 07:48 AM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Thanks Pete! He said if he wasn't strapped in he'd have run right out of the stand after that deer lol

You should try and make it over this way for catfish again next summer.

Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Green Bay] #7415057
11/26/21 10:37 AM
11/26/21 10:37 AM
Valders, WI
Alex the dog Offline
trapper
Alex the dog  Offline
trapper

Valders, WI
After seeing no deer opening day and Sunday morning, I've been into deer Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evening. Private land Manitowoc County. All natural movement close to bedding areas. Mostly does with a few small bucks, just waiting for the right buck to show up.

Snow predicted for Saturday so looking forward to Saturday night and next weeks muzzle loader season.

Dave

Forever in debt to my Father who introduced me to trapping.
May I be half the man he was.
Re: WI Gun Deer 2021 [Re: Trap Setter] #7415089
11/26/21 11:20 AM
11/26/21 11:20 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Trap Setter
Thanks Pete! He said if he wasn't strapped in he'd have run right out of the stand after that deer lol

You should try and make it over this way for catfish again next summer.

boy is talking about it.

tell him his spike was bigger than mine this year I shot a just sub 3 inch spike heavy body just short rack thought I was filling one of my 3 doe tags

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread