Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Sodium Nitrite #7417077
11/28/21 09:56 PM
11/28/21 09:56 PM
WY
M
matt75bronco Offline OP
trapper
matt75bronco  Offline OP
trapper
M

WY
Seems to be widely accepted that Sodium Benzoate is the go to for bait preservative.

Well tonight I was making some snack sticks from an elk I killed a few months back. The kit includes some “cure” that I assume is sodium nitrite. Has anyone ever used this successfully in lure? Seems to be the standard for curing meats so see no reason it wouldn’t work for trapping baits?

Re: Sodium Nitrite [Re: matt75bronco] #7417142
11/28/21 10:49 PM
11/28/21 10:49 PM
Ohio
M
MattDoyle Offline
trapper
MattDoyle  Offline
trapper
M

Ohio
Meats cured with Sodium Nitrite, commonly called Prague powder #1, still have to be cooked or smoked to cure. Sodium Nitrate (Prague powder #2) is for dry curing meats like pepperoni and hard salami. I don’t know anything about using it for preserving baits in the way you would use Sodium Benzoate, but of the two, I’d think you would want Sodium Nitrate vs the Sodium Nitrite you use for your snack sticks.

Re: Sodium Nitrite [Re: matt75bronco] #7418714
11/30/21 08:18 PM
11/30/21 08:18 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Sodium Nitrate will dry out meat it is used in, aka hard pepperoni or salami. I have used it when making uncooked sausage before. I would imagine it would do the same to baits, creating a hard, dry bait, not usually the type of bait most are looking for.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91