No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Military #7418855
11/30/21 10:16 PM
11/30/21 10:16 PM
Ohio
G
Gone Trappin. Offline OP
trapper
Gone Trappin.  Offline OP
trapper
G

Ohio
Is it worth joining the military now. Economically yes but I’d it worth it when you keep in mind what’s happening with officers getting fired, general Miley, our commander and chief himself, the wars for globalization, and vaccine mandate. I thought about this when debating joking the coast guard and attempt to be a rescue swimmer and jump from helicopters to save people because 1)saving people 2)seems like a job that will make you really feel alive and grow as a person 3) though I don’t like the current state of the US I still love America and could serve it 4)military benefits 5)the brotherhood that comes with the military

These are just things I’m curious about

Re: Military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7418876
11/30/21 10:29 PM
11/30/21 10:29 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
I will discurrage my kids from joining as much as i can. My mind changed a lot over the last few years and Afganistan was it for me. Told the recruiters the same at event we were at where several were present.

Re: Military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7418881
11/30/21 10:31 PM
11/30/21 10:31 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
IMO, NO. Rescue swimmer? . . . learn Semaphore, jump off a high seat and become a Beach Lifeguard :-)

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7418883
11/30/21 10:33 PM
11/30/21 10:33 PM
On the Sugar River, Wisconsin
longrangekilla Offline
trapper
longrangekilla  Offline
trapper

On the Sugar River, Wisconsin
My oldest son joined the Marines after college and absolutely loves it. He is doing some incredible things and is living a fantastic life.

However, he joined under Trump. Not sure if its a good idea anymore given the moron in the White House now.

Last edited by longrangekilla; 11/30/21 10:35 PM.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough
Re: Military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7418897
11/30/21 10:39 PM
11/30/21 10:39 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Under this admin, I wouldn't join anything that could require you to go overseas, or "defend America" here at home. Idk anything about the Coast Guard, but if that's your passion, look into that. Btw, I never served, so take that as you will.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7418905
11/30/21 10:43 PM
11/30/21 10:43 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
For everyone's info, USCG served in Nam.

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7418907
11/30/21 10:44 PM
11/30/21 10:44 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
The first couple of years pay is pretty low, without a degree, $25,876.00 to $34,303.00 in the first year, with most people being paid on the lower end. A 4 year degree gets you a lot more, first year, military pay, $53,947.00 to $72,549.00. The pay is much more competitive than when most of my friends who were in the military, were in.

https://www.todaysmilitary.com/careers-benefits/salary-compensation

My youngest cousin, Wyatt, finished college this Spring and signed his Army officer contract the same week. I suspect Wyatt may make lifetime career of it. I would love to see him go into politics afterward. He is a very fine young man. His father, my uncle, retired from the Navy.

The politics going on in the military right now, suck. Hopefully things will start swinging back the right way. If you want to join, you should probably scrub everything conservative off your Facebook page and other social media sites, if you use any of them. I would be careful expressing how you feel politically, even if things swing back.

America is going to always need brave young people, mostly men, to step up and protect and serve her.

Keith

Re: Military [Re: SJA] #7418923
11/30/21 10:50 PM
11/30/21 10:50 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by SJA

If one were to look they'll find the puddle jumpers involved in almost all of our overseas adventures of the last century to present. Almost always in the skinny water where them big navy boats can't go. The water within range of shore guns.

[Linked Image]
Re: Military [Re: warrior] #7418929
11/30/21 10:57 PM
11/30/21 10:57 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by SJA

If one were to look they'll find the puddle jumpers involved in almost all of our overseas adventures of the last century to present. Almost always in the skinny water where them big navy boats can't go. The water within range of shore guns.

Yup, I know, and supposedly according to legends(?), fired the "first shots" of the overseas wars. :-)

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Military [Re: KeithC] #7418932
11/30/21 11:00 PM
11/30/21 11:00 PM
Ohio
G
Gone Trappin. Offline OP
trapper
Gone Trappin.  Offline OP
trapper
G

Ohio
Originally Posted by KeithC
The first couple of years pay is pretty low, without a degree, $25,876.00 to $34,303.00 in the first year, with most people being paid on the lower end. A 4 year degree gets you a lot more, first year, military pay, $53,947.00 to $72,549.00. The pay is much more competitive than when most of my friends who were in the military, were in.

My youngest cousin, Wyatt, finished college this Spring and signed his Army officer contract the same week. I suspect Wyatt may make lifetime career of it. I would love to see him go into politics afterward. He is a very fine young man. His father, my uncle, retired from the Navy.

The politics going on in the military right now, suck. Hopefully things will start swinging back the right way. If you want to join, you should probably scrub everything conservative off your Facebook page and other social media sites, if you use any of them. I would be careful expressing how you feel politically, even if things swing back.

America is going to always need brave young people, mostly men, to step up and protect and serve her.

Keith

What a joke, if I have to abandon my values and not be able to stand up for them to join an organization, do I really want to be part of that organization? No

Re: Military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7418943
11/30/21 11:06 PM
11/30/21 11:06 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Coasties get a lot of grief. In my opinion there aren't many braver than those who do what they do.

After watching "The Guardian" and reading/watching "The Finest Hours" I can't imagine going out to rescue people in those conditions. Hats off to the USCG.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7418950
11/30/21 11:09 PM
11/30/21 11:09 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Gone Trappin.

Keith

What a joke, if I have to abandon my values and not be able to stand up for them to join an organization, do I really want to be part of that organization? No

Even under ordinary times you are required to set aside, temporarily, certain rights and privileges civilians enjoy. However, one would not be penalized for political thought short of that thought actually harmful to the United States.
However, in spite of my pride in my service I honestly do not believe I could do it again or recommend to others. Yes, we will need good young men and women in the future and patriots within the ranks. It just beginning to look like the risk is to great as the left isn't bent upon the destruction of any individual who may stand in their way.
I would advise lots of thoughtful prayer on this one.

[Linked Image]
Re: Military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7418969
11/30/21 11:19 PM
11/30/21 11:19 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
In my honest opinion. If you don’t see college or a trade school in your near future. Military is an excellent choice. The Commander in Chief should not be your concern. Your fellow comrades that you serve side by side with should and will be. Chain of command is what got the above you mentioned in trouble. If your not in charge of it not your problem. That goes in the private sector as well. USCG is a unique branch. Falls under Dept of Transportation and also serves the US Military. Good Luck in your decision.

Re: Military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7418989
11/30/21 11:29 PM
11/30/21 11:29 PM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
I would highly recommend the military to any young person. It's like my drill sargeant said, "whether you're here two weeks or two years you will learn something!" That's quite a bit more than most colleges can offer.

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: Military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7419000
11/30/21 11:38 PM
11/30/21 11:38 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Gone Trappin.

Keith

You would not be giving up your values at all. You would be sheltering your values, until you can rise enough in the organization, to put your values to work molding the future of the US armed forces.

The right desperately needs to regain control of the leadership and direction of the US military.

Keith

Re: Military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7419002
11/30/21 11:40 PM
11/30/21 11:40 PM
Tennessee
Deerhunter51 Offline
trapper
Deerhunter51  Offline
trapper

Tennessee
Spend enough time in the service and you’re going to experience some politics you don’t agree with but you do your job, just like everyone else.

On the flip side, I sure do enjoy my retirement pay and basically free healthcare every month.

Re: Military [Re: ] #7419018
11/30/21 11:50 PM
11/30/21 11:50 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by BadgerTrapper97
I've done 6 years in the Army and I'm currently on my way out with 4 months left. I would advise against joining at this point at least the Army for sure. I made great friends along the way and got to do some cool things but to be honest I'm at the point I wish I wouldn't have done it. The culture of the military is changing fast and if you're the type to be on trapperman the ways its changing are probably far from your views on the world. I did a deployment to Afghanistan in that time as well, you saw how that ended this summer. The military has gone political and wants nothing to do with us that are free thinkers, they want people who will blindly follow orders. I can't speak for other branches or anyone elses experience but I've done my time now and feel that I wasted it.

This is my concern as well knowing as I do the built in mechanisms within the service that can destroy a life in so many ways.
From bad duty assignments for the politically disfavored to a discharge that marks one the same as a felon. And yes the UCMJ has a built in catchall article you can be charged with.

[Linked Image]
Re: Military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7419021
11/30/21 11:53 PM
11/30/21 11:53 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I was a member of the Coast Guard Reserve for 27 years. Ten were enlisted and 17 commissioned. I learned and benefitted from the experience. I was a commanding officer for five years, my favorite and most challenging duty.

I get a retirement check every month and my wife and I have TriCare health insurance. That is sweet and worth as much as my pension. When the armed forces get a pay raise, the retirees do as well.

Investigate the Coast Guard. You might find a match for your interest.

The rescue swimmer assignments are coveted and very demanding. I challenge you to obtain one. You will never regret it. Any helicopter job will be rewarding.

Last edited by charles; 12/01/21 12:08 AM.
Re: Military [Re: charles] #7419078
12/01/21 01:11 AM
12/01/21 01:11 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
As a draftee I was a short timer and made E-5 in 13 months but there was a lot of "turnover" in the chopper units. To me the really frustrating part is that we train our military to be fighting soldiers, excelling in combat with very good tech and then we for the last two wars basically or for 20 plus years used these well trained troops to be security forces that do more policing then fighting. We either need to change how we engage in missions or conflicts or radically change the training for our military. We still seem to be planning and training for major battles and fronts etc. We have not been in a war like that since before Nam. Pretty late to the party if you ask me and that is across a multitude of administrations, congresses and joint chiefs etc.
My first two months were in the $70s and then a big raise to $94, it sure helped to earn some rank quickly. With E-5 one got quarters allowance in addition to the salary. Being overseas in a hazardous duty zone brought in some extra funds as well. Would I join today? Most likely not. With the highest levels of sexual abuse, domestic abuse, drug and alcohol abuse etc. and suicide there is too much instability in the rank and file today. One in 20 families today have a tie to the military, during Nam it was 1 in 10, during WW11 it was 1-4-5. Our culture is losing touch with the military and we think waving a flag on our front porch while thumping our chest will make all that go away.
Bryce

Last edited by bblwi; 12/01/21 08:53 PM.
Re: Military [Re: Gone Trappin.] #7419774
12/01/21 08:34 PM
12/01/21 08:34 PM
SWEET HOME OREGON
W
willvalley Offline
trapper
willvalley  Offline
trapper
W

SWEET HOME OREGON
25,000+ sounds a bit better then the 90 a month I got when I joined. Not a good time to enlist that is for sure.

FROM MY DEAD HANDS
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread