No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Deerkiller] #7428555
12/11/21 01:20 PM
12/11/21 01:20 PM
SWPa
P
PaSnareman Offline
trapper
PaSnareman  Offline
trapper
P

SWPa
If you do decide on a tent with a stove, make sure to draw straws on who gets to load it all night. Lol. Been there. It needs more tending during the night than you think.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: PaSnareman] #7428566
12/11/21 01:30 PM
12/11/21 01:30 PM
Montana
D
Deerkiller Offline OP
trapper
Deerkiller  Offline OP
trapper
D

Montana
Originally Posted by PaSnareman
If you do decide on a tent with a stove, make sure to draw straws on who gets to load it all night. Lol. Been there. It needs more tending during the night than you think.

I have a 14x16 wall canvas wall tent with a stove. So I know even with that big stove it need feed at night. This year I added a propane grill burner in that stove so right before we go to bed I could light it and stay warm all night.

I’m looking for something small I can backpack or pack in with one horse. Where I want to hunt next year is 20 miles one way in. It’s at elevation of 8-9000 feet so even in early September it getting cold. Most of the time I’m hunting by my self and my dog so I just don’t want to pack that big tent for just me for a week. It sucks packing up and unpacking a 4 or 5 horses by your self.

[Linked Image]
Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Deerkiller] #7428572
12/11/21 01:41 PM
12/11/21 01:41 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
The titanium stoves can be a great asset but you need to accept that it is necessary to have a good sleep system which will keep you warm without the stove...which is kinda necessary anyway if your in the back country. Trying to keep it burning all night is a waste of energy/sleep. A good pad/bag combo works well for a good nights sleep and the stove works well after you get up....I would not recommend being 20 miles from a trailhead without an adequate sleep system..with a pack horse a wiggys ultima thule might be a good choice...not crazy expensive, roomy and very warm...will keep you warm if you crawl into it wet and by morning you, your clothes and the bag will be dry if your in a waterproof tent. You need a legitimate R-6 or higher sleeping pad.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Deerkiller] #7428575
12/11/21 01:43 PM
12/11/21 01:43 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
A good sleeping bag should be all that is needed to sleep comfortably all night. Pre-load the stove and start it before getting up the next morning. Make sure the percolator is ready to go the night before. Seek Outside and Kifaru both make lightweight tipi's with a stove jack. A spark arrestor will prevent small burn holes in the lightweight tent fabric.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Deerkiller] #7428576
12/11/21 01:45 PM
12/11/21 01:45 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
I agree with Marty on the importance of a good sleep system vs trying to keep a stove going all night. With the lightweight titanium stoves you will be feeding it, or worrying about it too much to get a good night's sleep.

Moosetrot

Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Deerkiller] #7428586
12/11/21 01:57 PM
12/11/21 01:57 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
t is necessary to have a good sleep system which will keep you warm without the stove...which is kinda necessary anyway if your in the back country.

X3

The fire is for getting up in the morning and supper of an evening. its nice to be warm sitting around and eating a hot meal. Taking your sponge bath and washing your hair. Visiting with whoever your camping with. I like to make coffee before going to bed so all I have to do is heat it up in the morning. If you can out wait your buddy's need to pee of a morning he will toss some wood in and you can get up in a warm tent. Tossing in a few chunks, taking care of your waste water and setting a couple coffee pots on the stove dont take long. Climb back in bed and wait a half hour. Hot coffee and warm tent are real nice in the winter.

Last edited by danny clifton; 12/11/21 01:58 PM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Marty] #7428590
12/11/21 02:02 PM
Montana
D
Deerkiller Offline OP
trapper
Deerkiller  Offline OP
trapper
D

Montana
Originally Posted by Marty
The titanium stoves can be a great asset but you need to accept that it is necessary to have a good sleep system which will keep you warm without the stove...which is kinda necessary anyway if your in the back country. Trying to keep it burning all night is a waste of energy/sleep. A good pad/bag combo works well for a good nights sleep and the stove works well after you get up....I would not recommend being 20 miles from a trailhead without an adequate sleep system..with a pack horse a wiggys ultima thule might be a good choice...not crazy expensive, roomy and very warm...will keep you warm if you crawl into it wet and by morning you, your clothes and the bag will be dry if your in a waterproof tent. You need a legitimate R-6 or higher sleeping pad.

Oh for sure! I have a good sleeping bag that’s good for -30 and any kind of pad you can think of. I just and a stove for going to bed and getting up in the morning. The older I get the harder it is for me to get up out of a sleeping bag when it’s cold.

[Linked Image]
Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Deerkiller] #7428591
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
here is my tent while winter trapping/camping. comfort means you get the rest you need when being physically active for days on end.

[Linked Image]

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Moosetrot] #7428929
12/11/21 09:31 PM
12/11/21 09:31 PM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
Originally Posted by Moosetrot
My son just ordered and received one of these along with their glass-front titanium stoves. He is really happy with it and we are planning on doing some winter camps with it. The total weight with stove and pipe is only about 8 pounds. This is a very inexpensive but high quality outfit.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/twinpeak-hot-tent-with-awning

Moosetrot

Just a heads up, their customer service is nonexistent. As soon as you open the box it's non returnable.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Deerkiller] #7428966
12/11/21 10:06 PM
12/11/21 10:06 PM
Montana
D
D.T. Offline
trapper
D.T.  Offline
trapper
D

Montana
I have a Snowtrekker Basecamp EXP 10x13. Its the best. Its a super lightweight 7oz canvas tent. You could easily pack it along with one horse. They have smaller models as well that are lighter still. In my opinion, tepee tents are for the birds. What they gain in weight saving is far surpassed with all the cons. The center pole is constantly in the way. They are drafty, the nylon condensates. Id rather be comfortable while there, then the walk in. The snowtrekers are expensive, but they are better. Check them out. Mine has been everywhere from just out the back of my truck to 15+ miles in the heart of the bob for bulls and billys.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: D.T.] #7429076
12/11/21 11:53 PM
12/11/21 11:53 PM
Montana
D
Deerkiller Offline OP
trapper
Deerkiller  Offline OP
trapper
D

Montana
Originally Posted by D.T.
I have a Snowtrekker Basecamp EXP 10x13. Its the best. Its a super lightweight 7oz canvas tent. You could easily pack it along with one horse. They have smaller models as well that are lighter still. In my opinion, tepee tents are for the birds. What they gain in weight saving is far surpassed with all the cons. The center pole is constantly in the way. They are drafty, the nylon condensates. Id rather be comfortable while there, then the walk in. The snowtrekers are expensive, but they are better. Check them out. Mine has been everywhere from just out the back of my truck to 15+ miles in the heart of the bob for bulls and billys.

Thanks just what I was looking for!

[Linked Image]
Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Deerkiller] #7429099
12/12/21 12:22 AM
12/12/21 12:22 AM
Salem, Utah
L
Lucky Tag Offline
trapper
Lucky Tag  Offline
trapper
L

Salem, Utah
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We love our 4 person hot tents. 2 people and gear fit perfectly in a 4 person tent. I have a Seek Outside and a Kifaru, both are great. The tent weighs 3 lbs, the stove weighs 2 lbs. One of us carries the stove, the other the tent. I’m the old man in the group and hate sleeping on the ground so I also use a backpacking cot which is another 2.75 lbs.

Brandon

Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: D.T.] #7429114
12/12/21 12:38 AM
12/12/21 12:38 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by D.T.

You mean 12lbs? For the frame? And another 19 for the canvas? 31lbs is a big difference from 7 ounces lol

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Deerkiller] #7429138
12/12/21 01:06 AM
12/12/21 01:06 AM
Montana
D
D.T. Offline
trapper
D.T.  Offline
trapper
D

Montana
Canvas weight/thickness is measured in oz, kind of like leather. Most standard wall tents are made of 12oz sun forger canvas. Snowtrekker makes it with 7oz.

Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Deerkiller] #7429177
12/12/21 03:19 AM
12/12/21 03:19 AM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
Davis Tent Go Tent is another option, considerably cheaper than the SnowTrekker if price is a factor. I've got a 16x20 Davis for my base camp tent. Those guys are awesome to deal with. The Go Tent is either 8oz or 10oz, you tell them what you want when you order. Another option to consider. Having stock opens up a lot of options in shelters. Seek Outside Courthouse is another if you want to save a lot of weight. Good sleeping bag rated for the temps you expect to encounter is key, I don't like to tend fires all night.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Deerkiller] #7429184
12/12/21 05:33 AM
12/12/21 05:33 AM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
Check out my video below. It shows the differences between the seek outside tents and the snowtrekkers.

Imo snowtrekkers blow everything else out of the water for living and being mobile in the winter.

As for titanium stoves, buy a fourdog titanium. I have one and it will burn at least three hours, and keep coals for 4. Long, low heat output is what you want, and the stove needs to be airtight to do that. Burning all night actually saves energy, even in a properly rated bag. I set my alarm for 4 hrs, and shut the vent right down. At 20 below my tent will be hovering just above freezing, which is a perfect 4 hour temp. Take a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), load the stove and never leave the bag. Back to sleep. Plus fourdog stoves are bullet proof. Seek outside tips are great, and a lot lighter, but often sacrifice durability and have condensation issues. Unless you are talking the smallest packable (junk) ti stoves and lightweight two man tips carrying on your back is generally not feasible for long distances. With my setup on a uhmw toboggan you can live in comfort as long as you have food. And even move every day if you like.

Last edited by Hutchy; 12/12/21 05:39 AM.
Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: sneaky] #7429185
12/12/21 05:37 AM
12/12/21 05:37 AM
Montana
D
Deerkiller Offline OP
trapper
Deerkiller  Offline OP
trapper
D

Montana
Originally Posted by sneaky
Davis Tent Go Tent is another option, considerably cheaper than the SnowTrekker if price is a factor. I've got a 16x20 Davis for my base camp tent. Those guys are awesome to deal with. The Go Tent is either 8oz or 10oz, you tell them what you want when you order. Another option to consider. Having stock opens up a lot of options in shelters. Seek Outside Courthouse is another if you want to save a lot of weight. Good sleeping bag rated for the temps you expect to encounter is key, I don't like to tend fires all night.

I have 14x16 Davis elk tent with 10 foot cook house. I could use my 10x14 foot cook house and be at the same weight as the go tent. It just sucks to put up with log poles by myself. My wife keeps telling me I’m not 25 years old anymore and I need to get a hunting buddy to go with me. Lol

This pass Sep I hunted 20 miles in the backcountry spent two nights in a cowboy roll bed. It got down in the 20’s at night. 10 years about I would not think anything about it but I’m getting too old for that crap.

[Linked Image]
Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Hutchy] #7429189
12/12/21 06:00 AM
12/12/21 06:00 AM
Montana
D
Deerkiller Offline OP
trapper
Deerkiller  Offline OP
trapper
D

Montana
Originally Posted by Hutchy
Check out my video below. It shows the differences between the seek outside tents and the snowtrekkers.

Imo snowtrekkers blow everything else out of the water for living and being mobile in the winter.

As for titanium stoves, buy a fourdog titanium. I have one and it will burn at least three hours, and keep coals for 4. Long, low heat output is what you want, and the stove needs to be airtight to do that. Burning all night actually saves energy, even in a properly rated bag. I set my alarm for 4 hrs, and shut the vent right down. At 20 below my tent will be hovering just above freezing, which is a perfect 4 hour temp. Take a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), load the stove and never leave the bag. Back to sleep. Plus fourdog stoves are bullet proof. Seek outside tips are great, and a lot lighter, but often sacrifice durability and have condensation issues. Unless you are talking the smallest packable (junk) ti stoves and lightweight two man tips carrying on your back is generally not feasible for long distances. With my setup on a uhmw toboggan you can live in comfort as long as you have food. And even move every day if you like.

I really like that tent. Biggest this is it’s easy to put up.

[Linked Image]
Re: 2-3 man hot tent [Re: Deerkiller] #7429211
12/12/21 07:16 AM
12/12/21 07:16 AM
Wisconsin
W
Witrapperman Offline
trapper
Witrapperman  Offline
trapper
W

Wisconsin
Ill second the seek outside recco. Theyre the tops when ot comes to ultralight hottents

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread