No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: IDAHO Martin trapping [Re: Salthunter] #7430251
12/13/21 10:22 AM
12/13/21 10:22 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Salthunter
Originally Posted by white17
I think they like some eye appeal too so I always use bait in addition to some lure. Meat is great but feathers work real well if they are legal for you. I caught one on a chocolate chip cookie once so they aren't real picky.

Don't overdo it on the skunk IMO

I wonder how much they are like mink,, bait isnt all that tempting like a hole.

When my brother was young he and another guy teamed up and set out for 6 days in December. They made 100 pocket sets each. The other fellow used bait. My brother didnt use any bait.
they had an incredible catch. Catching 40 mink each, no coon and a handfull or rats

What do you mean by dont over do the skunk?
Keep it out of the box?
Shouldnt be unable to smell it getting out of the truck?

Where I am we have no skunks. I first tried the pure stuff sometime around 1978 and it seemed to scare the daylights out of marten. I definitely would not put it in your box if for no other reason than you don't want it getting on your critter.But I also think you want it out in the open where the wind can broadcast it.

Use very very little. I have never used Gusto but have had good luck with Paul's Skunky Backbreaker. The castor tames it down enough to still have some voice but not so loud that it burns your sinuses.

In my experience, marten are not at all like mink. They are not going to go in a hole unless there is something they can see that interests them. They might use a hole or a hoof print as access to get under the snow but I can't recall seeing them investigating a hole just because it's there. They might investigate a bunch of vole holes.............I call them " mouseholeums" when they are hunting voles..... but now your talking about sets on the ground. Not a set I am willing to use. Might be OK in Idaho though depending on check requirements.

I use probably 99.9% footholds on leaning poles so I am a firm believer in eye appeal and baits that move in the wind. That's why I prefer feathers.Grouse wings especially.

Any sized pole will do. For my sets I use something maybe an inch in diameter at the small end where the trap is located. But if you are using the pole for them to access your box, any size will do.

Just the things that work for me.

Mean As Nails
Re: IDAHO Martin trapping [Re: Salthunter] #7430260
12/13/21 10:39 AM
12/13/21 10:39 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
I believe you said you used canine for bait? If so, that may not be an attractive bait. Don't obsess about a pole if you are using bodygrips. A leaning tree will work or even a vertical one if in the right location. Marten can climb. Personally, I want them climbing when they commit. This is where bait selection doesn't matter so much. IMHO

Who is John Galt?
Re: IDAHO Martin trapping [Re: waggler] #7430295
12/13/21 11:41 AM
12/13/21 11:41 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Originally Posted by waggler
I'm just curious why Idaho would ban the use of non-edible portion of game/fish for bait; fish heads, duck guts, why not?

Its illegal in Wyoming also. No game fish or animal or parts thereof..been like that for the 30 years jerrys trapped there anyway.

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Re: IDAHO Martin trapping [Re: Salthunter] #7430321
12/13/21 12:28 PM
12/13/21 12:28 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
That 30 year old lure should still be fine to use.

DOTIt
don't over think it

Re: IDAHO Martin trapping [Re: Northof50] #7430961
12/14/21 01:02 AM
12/14/21 01:02 AM
Idaho
S
Salthunter Offline OP
trapper
Salthunter  Offline OP
trapper
S

Idaho
Originally Posted by Northof50
That 30 year old lure should still be fine to use.

DOTIt
don't over think it

eek The lures are fine,,

Now my wife is worried. With the weather
Traps, boxes, bait in the truck ready to go, Enough food for the day packed and ready

Work hard play hard
Re: IDAHO Martin trapping [Re: Salthunter] #7430980
12/14/21 01:32 AM
12/14/21 01:32 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
I know a faster set, I think. It may or may not work in your area, depending on how much the marten ("martin" is a bird) will climb.

Get a plastic flowerpot large enough to set a 120 at the edge, where you cut two L-shaped notches to hold the springs.

Drill two holes in the sides of the pot, then two more a couple inches apart at the end of the pot. Run four-foot or longer (long enough to go around your local trees) annealed trapping wire through the holes in the side of the pot, and wrap both ends around the pot. Use thinner wire to fasten bait inside the pot through the two holes in the end.

Grab a 120, and you're ready to go. You can carry a dozen or more prepared pots and traps in a backpack.

When you find a good LOCATION, slap the pot against a tree, wire it around the tree, and stick a 120 inside. The pot is now hanging vertically, upside down, with a set 120 at its open end.

I caught quite a few marten on this set. One drawback is, depending on the type of plastic used in the pot, it may get brittle and break in below zero weather. I like the black pots used by nurseries, which seem to stay more flexible in the cold.

Keep in mind the big secret is LOCATION. Set on tracks or other sign.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: IDAHO Martin trapping [Re: Salthunter] #7431543
12/14/21 07:05 PM
12/14/21 07:05 PM
Idaho
S
Salthunter Offline OP
trapper
Salthunter  Offline OP
trapper
S

Idaho
Evidently it rained , then froze . Even the gravel road was slick. Then the drifting snow,, yikes
Unless I pick up a snowmobile I guess ill be hunting coyotes and geese

Work hard play hard
Re: IDAHO Martin trapping [Re: Salthunter] #7457912
01/11/22 10:41 PM
01/11/22 10:41 PM
alaska
3 Fingers Offline
trapper
3 Fingers  Offline
trapper

alaska
If they won’t climb you can set close to the ground and rig a tip up pole to lift them when trap fires. This has been the 2nd year in a row that my marten would not climb. Lotsa tracks around lotsa sets, so I rigged tip ups and started catching. Takes a bit longer to make the sets tho. I attribute not climbing to one thing. Blueberries. Another bumper crop in a now 6 year old burn and marten are fat and happy, as are the voles. Purple poop in the snow is beautiful : )

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread