No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: midlander] #7430917
12/14/21 12:15 AM
12/14/21 12:15 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by midlander
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook) murdered his own mother in her sleep to gain access to the gun safe.

I don't know all the details of this case. I don't know if the kid had free reign with the pistol from the time it entered the house until he murdered with it... Or if it was locked in a safe.

Take a stroll over to YouTube and search for "picking a gun safe lock"

A determined child with ample time and opportunity can get into a gun safe rather easily... Maybe he only has 30 minutes after school before mom and dad get home from work. That's 2.5 hours of practice a week. Might take him 2 or 3 weeks but he can figure it out... And once he does figure it out he can sit in that info until he needs it.

Not saying this is what happened in the case we're referring to. But before you crucify someone for not locking up their guns in a safe make sure you know the facts.

Mike

Sorry Mike, but there is a huge difference with a parent not locking up their firearms and a kid who cracks a gun safe. The end result may be the same (somebody getting hurt), but the parents that locked the gun in the safe used reasonable precaution...the other parents did not.

Do we know with certainty that these parents didn't lock the gun up? I don't trust 90% of the garbage that the media airs as "verifiable facts" these days... Half the time they use each other as sources.

The Rittenhouse incident was a great example of this. How much of the crap we heard reported early on was found to be baseless garbage? And they NEVER issue a retraction. That's why Kyle will end up being a rich young man in the following few years.

At a certain point you probably could have told a member of the media that he used a flamethrower and it would have made it to the air.

Let's wait until actual evidence and testimony are presented before we begin arguing about who was careless and who exercised diligence.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7430924
12/14/21 12:27 AM
12/14/21 12:27 AM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
I agree Mike. If you read my earlier post, youll see that I mentioned not reading the actual police...none of us have. Ill repeat, if the gun was locked up, the parents should not be held responsible. If not, and as White pointed out, they can find a statute that applies, then Im in favor of holding the parents responsible . Just my opinion, probably not even worth 2 cents

Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7430935
12/14/21 12:38 AM
12/14/21 12:38 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"

I have a problem with the whole “locked up” thing.

Pretty soon noting you are purchasing a gun for anything other than target shooting will disqualify you from owning one.

-Goofy-
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7430938
12/14/21 12:41 AM
12/14/21 12:41 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I can't believe how many people think it should be legal for the state to force you to lock up your guns in your own home. What good does a locked up gun do you when you need it on a moment's notice?

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: midlander] #7430941
12/14/21 12:44 AM
12/14/21 12:44 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by midlander
I agree Mike. If you read my earlier post, youll see that I mentioned not reading the actual police...none of us have. Ill repeat, if the gun was locked up, the parents should not be held responsible. If not, and as White pointed out, they can find a statute that applies, then Im in favor of holding the parents responsible . Just my opinion, probably not even worth 2 cents

I agree. I'm just tired of the rush to judgement and knee-jerk reactions (and legislation) before all the facts are in.

I'm on the fence about holding parents responsible for their children's actions... I see merits in both sides of the debate.

One thing that gives me pause is experience within my own family. My mother is an honest, compassionate, Christian woman... A model of how a mother should be. Her sister is the complete polar opposite. Both raised in the same household by the same parents with the same standards... How is one so good and kind and the other, well, not? I can't imagine holding my grandparents responsible for my aunt's reprehensible behavior... I think short of drowning her at an early age there was little that could have been done.

For whatever reason, some people are just garbage... or were unfortunate enough to get a head full of bad wiring.

Tough call.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7430944
12/14/21 12:45 AM
12/14/21 12:45 AM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
There are several things that stand out about this. They have a text message to him from his mom telling him not to do it 15 minutes before he started shooting.

Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: yotetrapper30] #7430946
12/14/21 12:46 AM
12/14/21 12:46 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I can't believe how many people think it should be legal for the state to force you to lock up your guns in your own home. What good does a locked up gun do you when you need it on a moment's notice?

It preserves their value for the estate auction noted in your obituary.

-Goofy-
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: rex123] #7430949
12/14/21 12:49 AM
12/14/21 12:49 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by rex123
There are several things that stand out about this. They have a text message to him from his mom telling him not to do it 15 minutes before he started shooting.

And?

-Goofy-
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: Mike in A-town] #7430957
12/14/21 12:55 AM
12/14/21 12:55 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
think short of drowning her at an early age there was little that could have been done.
Mike

I can think of a long list this would apply to.

-Goofy-
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7430959
12/14/21 01:01 AM
12/14/21 01:01 AM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
And what? Don't you kind of think if she sent that she had an idea as to what he was up to?

Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: rex123] #7430973
12/14/21 01:13 AM
12/14/21 01:13 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

And what? Don't you kind of think if she sent that she had an idea as to what he was up to?

So when your kid is running late for work and you think he might speed on the way you call the police and tell them or do you reach out and asked that he get a handle on himself before something bad happens?

-Goofy-
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7430985
12/14/21 01:40 AM
12/14/21 01:40 AM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
Yea if I thought my kid was going to kill someone at school I would call the police but I guess you wouldn't. You are going to play with words because it makes your version of what happened sound better. Kids are dead because of him and his parents.

Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: yotetrapper30] #7430999
12/14/21 02:20 AM
12/14/21 02:20 AM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio

I don't think you understood the idea of locking the guns up .
When they have their friends over , you don't know what the friends are capable of doing .
I worked odd hours and sometimes would come home with a house full of kids from the neighborhood .
I have loaded guns close to me at all times now .
I don't like locking them up , but when I can't control who's in the house , I was making sure there wasn't an accident .
My kids knew gun safety , but I have no idea what their friends knew .
Even then my kids weren't allowed to have access to guns unless I was with them .
Times are different than when I grew up , with guns being easily accessed , everyone knew how to handle guns for the most part out in the country .
I especially kept the guns locked up with step children , even though I would take them hunting and teach them gun safety .
Because they had some strange friends while living in town .

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: Ohio Wolverine] #7431007
12/14/21 04:53 AM
12/14/21 04:53 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine

I don't think you understood the idea of locking the guns up .
When they have their friends over , you don't know what the friends are capable of doing .
I worked odd hours and sometimes would come home with a house full of kids from the neighborhood .
I have loaded guns close to me at all times now .
I don't like locking them up , but when I can't control who's in the house , I was making sure there wasn't an accident .
My kids knew gun safety , but I have no idea what their friends knew .
Even then my kids weren't allowed to have access to guns unless I was with them .
Times are different than when I grew up , with guns being easily accessed , everyone knew how to handle guns for the most part out in the country .
I especially kept the guns locked up with step children , even though I would take them hunting and teach them gun safety .
Because they had some strange friends while living in town .

Did you lock up your knives?

Gas cans?

Medications?

-Goofy-
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: rex123] #7431008
12/14/21 04:56 AM
12/14/21 04:56 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

Yea if I thought my kid was going to kill someone at school I would call the police but I guess you wouldn't. You are going to play with words because it makes your version of what happened sound better. Kids are dead because of him and his parents.

It certainly would be a possibility.

Kids are dead because of HIM.

-Goofy-
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7431137
12/14/21 09:31 AM
12/14/21 09:31 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Why would you say that when I’m talking about making a law dictating who can breed?

What are you some kind of liberal that only has an after thought?

I smiled when I read this. The typical argument from someone who has no argument, call them a liberal!!!!

Dictating breeding is another form of Communism, just like China with their quota system.

Are you some kind of communist that only has an after thought?? LOL
grin

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7431141
12/14/21 09:42 AM
12/14/21 09:42 AM
WI
B
Badger23 Offline
trapper
Badger23  Offline
trapper
B

WI
The parents and the school are both in a pile of crap. When the parents were called in just hours before the shooting happened and didn't remove their kid from school that's poor judgement. The school letting him stay there is poor judgement.
Both will be sued into oblivion.
As far as the parents being charged that's a tough one for me. This kid has major mental issues and the parents thought buying him a gun was a good idea? That may show negligence.

Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: coondagger2] #7431155
12/14/21 09:59 AM
12/14/21 09:59 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by coondagger2
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Why would you say that when I’m talking about making a law dictating who can breed?

What are you some kind of liberal that only has an after thought?

I smiled when I read this. The typical argument from someone who has no argument, call them a liberal!!!!

Dictating breeding is another form of Communism, just like China with their quota system.

Are you some kind of communist that only has an after thought?? LOL
grin

I mentioned legislating who can become a parent and you bring up abortion, talk about no argument. lol

-Goofy-
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7431190
12/14/21 10:35 AM
12/14/21 10:35 AM
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

What other way do you stop someone who is pregnant from becoming a parent??

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Parents Charged with Manslaughter [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7431245
12/14/21 12:09 PM
12/14/21 12:09 PM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

Another after thought.

Carry on.