No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Signs of the times #7435049
12/18/21 04:23 PM
12/18/21 04:23 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
Stopped by my local Academy Sports to pick up a few items. Noticed a new shelf of goods labeled in their own category like fishing or camping.

Personal Security, and it took up most of an entire shelf with things like stun guns, pepper sprays, etc. Even more telling, it was half empty and looked to have been picked over hard.

BTW, the 13yo is getting her first SAK in her stocking this year. Probably should've bought her her own pepper spray.

[Linked Image]
Re: Signs of the times [Re: warrior] #7435079
12/18/21 05:13 PM
12/18/21 05:13 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
So many things I could say to get me in trouble again lol. But, I get ya warrior. I think people are getting a bit cautious.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Signs of the times [Re: warrior] #7435081
12/18/21 05:21 PM
12/18/21 05:21 PM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
Just remember that chemical irritant does not always work and it usually has a few seconds before it takes effect completely. This gives the attacker a few seconds to get at you before it affects them. There are probably few people on this forum who have had chemical in their eyes more than I have. I have learned to work/fight through it.

Re: Signs of the times [Re: warrior] #7435093
12/18/21 05:46 PM
12/18/21 05:46 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
I live in communist NJ. I am an NRA certified firearms instructor and have a "certified NRA firearms instructor" sticker in my truck's back window.

In the last 18 months I have had a dozen people at work ask what gun they should buy for home protection and had long detailed conversations about this. I've taken 4 coworkers to the range so they could learn about different types of firearms before making a buying decision. All of these were people who did not grow up with a firearm culture and were not pro-gun ownership.

Prior to the last 18 months I've probably had two of these conversations in a decade.

People are nervous.

-Ryan
Re: Signs of the times [Re: warrior] #7435096
12/18/21 05:48 PM
12/18/21 05:48 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I was in a chamber at boot camp in 1967. We were sprayed with mace, I think. I promise you I was defenseless.

Re: Signs of the times [Re: charles] #7435105
12/18/21 06:05 PM
12/18/21 06:05 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
That was probably tactical strength CS. That ISIN'T available to the public. Sure cleans out the sinuses don't it?

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Signs of the times [Re: Drifter] #7435120
12/18/21 06:29 PM
12/18/21 06:29 PM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Gave a little chuckle, I remember the gasmask training in basic 1969 had to enter then remove mask. Then replace and clear mask. I don't think anyone came out without pukeing crying coughing gagging choaking spitting. Older guy told me not to shave the day before or it would have been worse. I know their was no fight in me, to busy just trying to inhale. Another chuckle older means his basic company was 2 or 3 weeks ahead of mine.

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Re: Signs of the times [Re: Drifter] #7435123
12/18/21 06:32 PM
12/18/21 06:32 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Drifter
That was probably tactical strength CS. That ISIN'T available to the public. Sure cleans out the sinuses don't it?

The sinuses, tear ducts, sweat glands and a few bladders. LOL

I well remember the gas chamber at Jackson. Somehow I was head of the line going in. Masked up all fine, take it off, of course I'm holding my breath but get the drill of name rank serial etc to ensure I get a taste then told to exit so I bolt for the door thinking I got off light. The drill hiding in the corner by the door I don't see until two hands drag me back for a good another round of questions and a dose of gas.

Nasty stuff.

[Linked Image]
Re: Signs of the times [Re: warrior] #7435150
12/18/21 06:57 PM
12/18/21 06:57 PM
carolina, Alabama
The Possum Man Offline
trapper
The Possum Man  Offline
trapper

carolina, Alabama
Yeah I wouldnt waste money on any cheaper over the counter pepper sprays. I got a couple to use to spray dogs that chase me and the wife on our mountain bikes. Anything bigger than a chihuahua and they wont even break stride when you land a streak from ear to nose. I wouldnt dare spray that on anyone i thought i needed to stop. It will just make them mad.

"If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough"
Re: Signs of the times [Re: warrior] #7435172
12/18/21 07:16 PM
12/18/21 07:16 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
I once had the law called on me for peppering a dog. We had a neighbor's mutt that kept jumping the fence due to a gyp in heat we had caged up inside the house. I had already run it off three or four times but this day as I come out the front door it stood it's ground and showed me teeth. I just happened to be in full uniform as I worked armed security at the time. I opted for the spray rather than the .45.
Well as it ran off squalling some dudley doright stopped his car in the street and started screaming profanities at me and threatening all sorts of bodily harm. I reholstered the spray and politely asked the nice gentleman to please step into the yard. He wasn't as dumb as he looked and drove off. On my return home I had a county deputy sitting in my drive. He tried to act all Mr Authority on me but when I laid out the facts of the matter and that by all rights I felt at risk of bodily harm and I was indeed armed and on my own property that I would have been fully justified in the 45 option but instead chose non lethal. He reluctantly agreed and dropped it.

[Linked Image]
Re: Signs of the times [Re: warrior] #7435205
12/18/21 07:50 PM
12/18/21 07:50 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by warrior
I once had the law called on me for peppering a dog. We had a neighbor's mutt that kept jumping the fence due to a gyp in heat we had caged up inside the house. I had already run it off three or four times but this day as I come out the front door it stood it's ground and showed me teeth. I just happened to be in full uniform as I worked armed security at the time. I opted for the spray rather than the .45.
Well as it ran off squalling some dudley doright stopped his car in the street and started screaming profanities at me and threatening all sorts of bodily harm. I reholstered the spray and politely asked the nice gentleman to please step into the yard. He wasn't as dumb as he looked and drove off. On my return home I had a county deputy sitting in my drive. He tried to act all Mr Authority on me but when I laid out the facts of the matter and that by all rights I felt at risk of bodily harm and I was indeed armed and on my own property that I would have been fully justified in the 45 option but instead chose non lethal. He reluctantly agreed and dropped it.

I tried non lethal with them. It just made them run faster when they saw me or heard the door or window open.

Went in the barn one night and heard a low grrrr. Saw the hair raised, my options if i go forward it will think I am comming after it, if i back out chase reaction may kick in. Then I though what if its my wife next time. All that in a fracton of a second. Option glock 23 it was. That broke my seal and dead fixes the problem for good. Needless to say it was not long before that pack of dogs that had been around was in a ditch. Nothing like watching dogs chasing your horses across your pasture, killing your chickens and goats , and ripping up the trash.

One guy down the road had an issue when he found his dog in the dog dump spot. He came strait to me becuse i had gone to all the neibors asking then to keep their dogs out of my yard several times. The sheriff left after I told him what had been going on and went back to the guys down the road. Never heard a thing further about it. Guess the guy didnt know the law or that I had allready called the county cop about the problem pack of dogs and was told just to shoot them.

Re: Signs of the times [Re: Mark K] #7435219
12/18/21 08:01 PM
12/18/21 08:01 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by Mark K
Just remember that chemical irritant does not always work and it usually has a few seconds before it takes effect completely. This gives the attacker a few seconds to get at you before it affects them. There are probably few people on this forum who have had chemical in their eyes more than I have. I have learned to work/fight through it.

If'n you buy them supper first you could possibly avoid the pepper spray.

Re: Signs of the times [Re: warrior] #7435250
12/18/21 08:31 PM
12/18/21 08:31 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Also sprays can backfire in the wind.

Re: Signs of the times [Re: maintenanceguy] #7435722
12/19/21 10:10 AM
12/19/21 10:10 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
I live in communist NJ. I am an NRA certified firearms instructor and have a "certified NRA firearms instructor" sticker in my truck's back window.

In the last 18 months I have had a dozen people at work ask what gun they should buy for home protection and had long detailed conversations about this. I've taken 4 coworkers to the range so they could learn about different types of firearms before making a buying decision. All of these were people who did not grow up with a firearm culture and were not pro-gun ownership.

Prior to the last 18 months I've probably had two of these conversations in a decade.

People are nervous.

Good on you for helping these folks out!

Re: Signs of the times [Re: warrior] #7438840
12/22/21 07:20 PM
12/22/21 07:20 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Might want to throw in a commercial about electing people that believe in Self Defense as a Right!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread