No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Trapper7] #7437516
12/21/21 11:57 AM
12/21/21 11:57 AM
Sandpoint Idaho/ Whitesboro TX
C
cbat Offline
trapper
cbat  Offline
trapper
C

Sandpoint Idaho/ Whitesboro TX
I walked right passed a couple bell ringers in the last few days. Did not even slow down. I am not woke !

The real Wally
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Trapper7] #7437529
12/21/21 12:08 PM
12/21/21 12:08 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Online content OP
trapper
Trapper7  Online Content OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
In my area, they are having trouble finding volunteers such as myself to ring bells for them. They've always maintained they will never hire people to ring bells. They only want volunteers. I've heard that has changed and they are seriously considering hiring people to ring bells now. Tells me they are getting desperate.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Trapper7] #7437539
12/21/21 12:21 PM
12/21/21 12:21 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
They said they have the self operating kiosk's with touch screen but people "must not be accustomed to them yet". Yeah, that's probably it. LOL

Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Trapper7] #7437595
12/21/21 01:29 PM
12/21/21 01:29 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Father in law was a WWII vet and hero. He said the Salvation Army was great and always helping the guys. He said at one cold horrible location there was a Red Cross tent offering hot coffee. As an officer he waited in line and asked for coffee. They charged a dime. He had no money. They said too bad no coffee. He walked on and the Salvation Army had coffee and a sandwich for free.

We used to support our rural local Salvation Army because of the above. There is greater benefit specifically supporting locally. They get to keep 100% and use it in our community. They are not required to send part to the National program. Our local office had a great director who was a community leader and was wise to the hustlers and scams.

Two years ago she moved on. So they hired a person who had been a part time volunteer. She has run it into the ground. We no longer support them.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Willy Firewood] #7437604
12/21/21 01:43 PM
12/21/21 01:43 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
trapper
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
Father in law was a WWII vet and hero. He said the Salvation Army was great and always helping the guys. He said at one cold horrible location there was a Red Cross tent offering hot coffee. As an officer he waited in line and asked for coffee. They charged a dime. He had no money. They said too bad no coffee. He walked on and the Salvation Army had coffee and a sandwich for free.

We used to support our rural local Salvation Army because of the above. There is greater benefit specifically supporting locally. They get to keep 100% and use it in our community. They are not required to send part to the National program. Our local office had a great director who was a community leader and was wise to the hustlers and scams.

Two years ago she moved on. So they hired a person who had been a part time volunteer. She has run it into the ground. We no longer support them.

I spent 20 years on their advisory board for the same reason some years ago that you described.

I was administrator of a friend's will. She left a large sum of money to the SA. She meant it to go to the local SA. Because she didn't specify that in her will, so it went to the national organization. I wasn't real happy about that.

Over the years I saw some leaders come and go. Some were very good, some fair, and one was awful.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Willy Firewood] #7437615
12/21/21 01:58 PM
12/21/21 01:58 PM
va
P
pudge Offline
trapper
pudge  Offline
trapper
P

va
[quote=Willy Firewood]Father in law was a WWII vet and hero. He said the Salvation Army was great and always helping the guys. He said at one cold horrible location there was a Red Cross tent offering hot coffee. As an officer he waited in line and asked for coffee. They charged a dime. He had no money. They said too bad no coffee. He walked on and the Salvation Army had coffee and a sandwich for free.

Interesting. My dad was a WW2 combat veteran and many years ago he told me the same story. He never liked the Red Cross because of their actions with solders.

Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Trapper7] #7437948
12/21/21 08:30 PM
12/21/21 08:30 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
That is very interesting #7 and pudge.

We had not known about the local distinction until the local director explained.

Where were guys fighting a war supposed to get and carry money? Father in law said the Red Cross always charged and the SA did not. He said a smile and a cup of coffee saved lives.

Our local SA administrator told us about a local Christmas house fire. Red Cross responded with motel and restaurant and clothing vouchers. Maybe other help too. Then later presented a bill to the family for everything. They never saw it coming. The local SA negotiated a discount and paid it at about 25%.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Willy Firewood] #7437981
12/21/21 09:19 PM
12/21/21 09:19 PM
Texas Hill Country
C
Cedar Hacker Offline
trapper
Cedar Hacker  Offline
trapper
C

Texas Hill Country
None of the Salvation Army organizations in my area are associated with the National organization or church. Each county is a "stand alone group" and 100% of the funds raised stays in and is used in each county.
They are all volunteer groups and none have any paid employees. Most of the funds raised are solicited through the mail. One adjoining county has a Walmart and they have bell ringers at the one store.
Fund raising has been hurt by the statement put out on the internet and almost all immediately attack and bemean the whole operation.
I think that is totally wrong but that seems to be the times we live in today. If it is on the internet it has to be the gospel.
The statement by the National organization made me mad too, but I will continue to volunteer and support my local unit as I have done for many years because of the good that I have seen done by it.

If people want to get mad how about flogging your elected officials about the situation at the Southern border. A whole lot more harm is being done there every day than some statement put out by the Salvation Army. Our country may already be lost by what has happened there in just this year alone.

Sit on your horse on top of a ridge, look out across the country and tell me there is no God.

Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Trapper7] #7438151
12/21/21 11:22 PM
12/21/21 11:22 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
The Red Cross is far from a favorite of mine. The flying 50 as they called it back in boot camp was a chit book we had to keep and only way to buy anything at the exchange store. We had NO CHOICE but to use it and the Red Cross made us a loan as they called it. We had to have the same razor , boot polish, toothpaste, clothes stops and scrub brush for doing laundry. This was required so every locker was uniform. The flying 50 was paid back using our first paycheck.

The forced donation during boot camp benefited the Red Cross as well. One guy's Dad died and he didn't have the money to travel home. Red Cross said will do a loan at 10% interest to be paid back at the rate he wouldn't have enough to live on. Salvation Army paid his plane ticket as a donation. I wouldn't cross the street to whiz on them if they were on fire.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Trapper7] #7438287
12/22/21 06:48 AM
12/22/21 06:48 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Wow, amazing stories!

My father in law always told us if we want to donate go to the SA.

I stopped in there one day to make a donation. The director asked me to make out the check to “Rural Town Salvation Army”. That way they could keep all the $ with no obligation to send to the national headquarters. A cut of all bell money goes national, unless like Cedar’s situation.

You are fortunate that they can run without a real administrator.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: pudge] #7438439
12/22/21 10:51 AM
12/22/21 10:51 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by pudge

Interesting. My dad was a WW2 combat veteran and many years ago he told me the same story. He never liked the Red Cross because of their actions with solders.

That was then, this is now.

-Goofy-
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: KeithC] #7438447
12/22/21 10:58 AM
12/22/21 10:58 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by KeithC
Go Woke Go Broke!

Keith

20 year employee there, started getting bad the last 5. Six months after leaving blood pressure returned to normal along with a number of digestive issues. lol

People that called me during that first 6 months stated that I even sounded different on the phone. We sometimes have no idea what “the job” is doing to us.

-Goofy-
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Trapper7] #7438457
12/22/21 11:06 AM
12/22/21 11:06 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Pathetic...I hope they do go broke.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: danny clifton] #7438599
12/22/21 02:53 PM
12/22/21 02:53 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by danny clifton
They wont like my idea on anti racism. I want to see it all end. "native" american welfare, united negro college fund, affirmative action, black congressional caucus, black national anthem, minority preference on road contracts, ALL OF IT. END IT NOW

EQUAL UNDER THE LAW FOR ALL OF US

Exactly right, Danny. Blame it all on the white man. I don’t consider myself a racist, but I’ll say, It’s the pot calling te kettle black. I’ll understand this better, when I can walk around down in the ghetto, and not be looked at like a fresh cut of meat. I have worked in those places and If alone, you are risking your life. Now that is true racism, plain and simple.

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Trapper7] #7438601
12/22/21 03:02 PM
12/22/21 03:02 PM
Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Not sure I agree that 100% of The Salvation Army proceeds from a given county stay in the county!? The reason I mention that is the Salvation Army placed an ad in our local newspaper desperately seeking bell ringers and also stating that 86% of the proceeds stay in the county. If one cent of every dollar goes towards the idiots that promoted the CRT mindset at the national committee level that is one cent too many IMO. This year I am donating directly to locals in need.

Chris

>>In God we trust<<
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: pudge] #7438606
12/22/21 03:10 PM
12/22/21 03:10 PM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
Originally Posted by pudge
[quote=Willy Firewood]Father in law was a WWII vet and hero. He said the Salvation Army was great and always helping the guys. He said at one cold horrible location there was a Red Cross tent offering hot coffee. As an officer he waited in line and asked for coffee. They charged a dime. He had no money. They said too bad no coffee. He walked on and the Salvation Army had coffee and a sandwich for free.

My dad told me the same thing about the Red Cross and he had nothing to do with them since his experience.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Trapper7] #7438611
12/22/21 03:19 PM
12/22/21 03:19 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK

Mean As Nails
Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Trapper7] #7438693
12/22/21 04:42 PM
12/22/21 04:42 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
You would think charities would learn that most liberals are happy to donate money, that belongs to someone else who worked hard and smart for it, but are reluctant to give up a penny of their own money.

Keith

Re: Salvation Army Goes Woke [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7438745
12/22/21 05:41 PM
12/22/21 05:41 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
trapper
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Cedar Hacker
None of the Salvation Army organizations in my area are associated with the National organization or church. Each county is a "stand alone group" and 100% of the funds raised stays in and is used in each county.
They are all volunteer groups and none have any paid employees. Most of the funds raised are solicited through the mail. One adjoining county has a Walmart and they have bell ringers at the one store.
Fund raising has been hurt by the statement put out on the internet and almost all immediately attack and bemean the whole operation.
I think that is totally wrong but that seems to be the times we live in today. If it is on the internet it has to be the gospel.
The statement by the National organization made me mad too, but I will continue to volunteer and support my local unit as I have done for many years because of the good that I have seen done by it.

If people want to get mad how about flogging your elected officials about the situation at the Southern border. A whole lot more harm is being done there every day than some statement put out by the Salvation Army. Our country may already be lost by what has happened there in just this year alone.

Sorry to disagree with you, CH, but the SA isn't all volunteer. No where near it. Much of their fund raising goes into wages for their employees. I spent over 20 years on their advisory board. Two of my sisters worked there as well. They were both paid an hourly wage. The have some volunteers such as the bell ringers and some who come in to work in the soup kitchen if they have one. But, pretty much the rest are all paid employees.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread