No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! #7421176
12/03/21 04:44 PM
12/03/21 04:44 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
I would like to announce the start of my 8TH Annual Trapperman Kids Art & Writing Contest!

THE PRIZES:

FIRST PLACE $100 PLUS a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package!
SECOND PLACE: $75 PLUS a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package!
THIRD PLACE: $50 PLUS a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package!

TO ENTER:

You must be LESS than 18 years of age and a Trapperman member or family member only. You must have your parent's permission to enter, as the winners will be asked to pm me their addresses in order for us to ship the prize packages to you. You must submit your entry no later than 9 PM EASTERN TIME ON CHRISTMAS EVE, DECEMBER 24TH. NO EXCEPTIONS PLEASE! To submit your entry, you must post a scan or good quality photo of your finished drawing or painting, as well as TYPE IN your writing or story RIGHT HERE IN THIS THREAD. YOU MUST INCLUDE YOUR FULL NAME, AGE AND STATE YOU RESIDE WITH YOUR ENTRY. Ask for help from your folks, or other members here if you have difficulty posting. This is so all Trapperman members may see and read it. Previous winners may enter again! Let's see how you've improved over the years!

THE RULES:

This year's theme is: "A MOUNTAIN MAN (OR MOUNTAIN WOMAN) CHRISTMAS!!!" -

FIRST, write a story that describes, "A MOUNTAIN MAN (OR MOUNTAIN WOMAN) CHRISTMAS!!!" and whatever that means to you. It could be a true story, or a fictional story you've created in your mind. I'd like this story to be a few paragraphs minimum, if possible. I know this may be difficult for the very young contestants and we will consider this when we judge the entries at the end. Include many details to make your story interesting, who, what, where, when, why, how!?

SECOND, You must draw or paint a picture that goes with this story and illustrates it in the best possible way. It may be FULL COLOR OR BLACK & WHITE. It may be done in PENCIL, INKS, WATERCOLORS, ACRYLICS, OILS, CHALKS, CRAYONS, MARKERS, or the KITCHEN SINK!!! Put as much effort as you can into it! I want to see what talented young folks we have here on Trapperman! Then have someone take a nice brightly lit photo or scan of it and post it here with your story!!

ONCE AGAIN, THE CONTEST ENDS AT 9 PM EASTERN TIME ON CHRISTMAS EVE !! NO EXCEPTIONS. YOU FOLKS ON CENTRAL, MOUNTAIN, AND PACIFIC TIME PLEASE MAKE NOTE!

WE WILL ANNOUNCE THEM HERE ON CHRISTMAS MORNING, SOME TIME AFTER MRS. CLAUS HAS HAD HER COFFEE…..

PM ME IF YOU OR YOUR FOLKS HAVE QUESTIONS.

WELL KIDS, I SUGGEST YOU GET BUSY!!!
AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL THE TRAPPERMAN FAMILY!!!

From The Goodman's
Joe, Julie, and Carly
www.JoeGoodmanPrints.com
[Linked Image]

Long-time Staff Artist at Fur-Fish-Game magazine
Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7421182
12/03/21 04:58 PM
12/03/21 04:58 PM
Beaman Iowa 55
M
Mike Cope Offline
trapper
Mike Cope  Offline
trapper
M

Beaman Iowa 55
Thanks Joe.

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7422732
12/05/21 02:59 PM
12/05/21 02:59 PM
Oklahoma, USA
D
DontTread-Okie Offline
trapper
DontTread-Okie  Offline
trapper
D

Oklahoma, USA
Sir this is awesome. I absolutely love this. Our kids are in a homeschool co-op w a bunch of other kids can I share this with the group?

Aim small, miss small.
Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: DontTread-Okie] #7422943
12/05/21 07:01 PM
12/05/21 07:01 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
"You must be LESS than 18 years of age and a Trapperman member or family member only."

Sorry, this is for Trapperman members and their families. If they want to join the forum, then yes!

Joe Goodman

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7429461
12/12/21 12:47 PM
12/12/21 12:47 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
Most kids have just one week left in school, so I'm hoping that many will have the time to do some really terrific drawings and stories for this year's contest! I posted this on my Facebook page and have gotten a lot of "likes". If anyone has questions please PM me here. One thing we always run into: Each contestant MUST ENTER THEIR NAME AND AGE with their story and drawing, so we know how old they are and can take that into consideration during the judging! And each WINNER must pm me permission from one of their parents for me to send these kids their prizes. So, yes, I will need a name and address as to where to send. I wish "GOOD LUCK" to all the entries!

Joe Goodman
www.JoeGoodmanPrints.com

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7433402
12/16/21 05:51 PM
12/16/21 05:51 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
[Linked Image]

“Wake up! Wake up!” My little sister, Avery hollered while shaking me out from underneath my nice, comfy, wool blanket that I had gotten for my birthday. “Mama and papa said we could go to pick our Christmas Tree today!” Along with the excitement in her voice, and the message she shouted, I was up and out of bed in no time.

The smell of bacon had filled our tiny little cabin, as well as the sound of little chirps that came from the newest edition of our family. It was a little racoon that papa named Chucksie. Avery and he found it abandoned from its mama and decided to bring him home. We all fell in love instantly, and welcomed Chucksie home.

“Food is ready.” Papa bellowed which was followed by mama’s, “I SMELL BACON!!”

After we sat down in our ‘assigned’ chairs and munched up all of the delicious and warm breakfast given to us, we started getting ready to go pick our tree.

Avery and I were helped into our wooden sleigh by papa and mama and we snuggled close. The coldness felt as though there were those little needles in your toes after your foot falls asleep. We were in the backmost seat and each had a little blanket to keep warm as well as fur hats, coats, and new Buckskin mittens that papa gave us that morning. Chucksie was squished between us and had his own little fur hat.

Mama and papa were seated in the front and Mama was also all bundled up like us kids were. Papa on the other hand, basically never leaves the cold and he was just wearing a buckskin jacket. He had one hand on the horse's reins and the other on mama's mitten.

“Are we there yet?” Avery and I hollered in unison. We were surrounded by trees but mama saw the perfect tree previously while out looking for firewood and remembered where it was. She really wanted that tree. Mama really cared about how the tree looked, so we trusted her visions.

After a little while, Avery fell asleep on my shoulder and I just waited until we had reached mama’s perfect tree.

Eventually Papa had stopped the sleigh and we were all allowed to get out and go see the tree. It was giant when I looked at it, but when papa stood by it, It seemed to be shorter. It had long, emerald needles, and was so thick. Chucksie climbed to the top and we knew that this was the tree for us.

Mama gave papa the saw and he started cutting at the tree. As mama supervised, Avery and I wandered a little. It was our job to find decorations. We scavenged for pine cones, and acorns, or even rare winter berries. We carried all we could and headed back to the sleigh. Mama was snuggled with Chucksie and Papa was securing the tree to the Sleigh.

We all loaded up into the ride and the horses started pulling us through the snow. There was a light breeze, but the sun was out. There were perfect little snowflakes falling on our noses and Avery and I slept all the way home.

We arrived back at our cozy little cabin, and papa instantly started to set up the tree. Mama woke us up and told us to prepare our decorations. This meant to tie little strings on top so we could hang them on the branches of our tree.

After some time and lots of decorating, the tree was ready for an Angel. By tradition, we used the angel that mama handmade out of sticks, Buckskin, rocks, and other materials. It was the best angel ever.

As I laid down to sleep that night, I was thankful. I knew not many people lived like my family did, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. I love Christmas. I love living in the mountains. I love adventures. And most importantly, I love my family.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jordan Hendershott
Age 15
Michigan

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7433418
12/16/21 06:15 PM
12/16/21 06:15 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
Well, well!! We have our first entry in this year's Kids Contest, and it is an OUTSTANDING ONE!! Way to go, Jordan!! And welcome to the contest!! The other kids better be stepping up their game, 'cause this is a terrific entry, nicely done!!

****And a note to ALL contestants !!! ...PLEASE TYPE (OR HAVE YOUR PARENT TYPE) your story in like Jordan has done here! (See above) Please no cell phone pics of hand written pages! We want all entries to be able to be READ and enjoyed by the members here.

Good Luck, Kids!!!

Joe Goodman
www.JoeGoodmanPrints.com

Last edited by JoeGoodman; 12/17/21 10:03 AM.

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7438565
12/22/21 01:51 PM
12/22/21 01:51 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
We only have TWO DAYS REMAINING in the Kid's contest!! I hope you kids are busy working on your drawings and stories!!! We only have ONE entry so far...are you guys going to let Jordan run away with it?!! LET'S GET GOING!!!!

If you have questions please PM me!!

Good Luck!

Joe Goodman
www.JoeGoodmanPrints.com

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7438789
12/22/21 06:32 PM
12/22/21 06:32 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Jordan,
I really like your story and drawing. Thanks for doing it for everyone to enjoy!

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7439000
12/22/21 09:53 PM
12/22/21 09:53 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
Mr. Goodman I have a couple daughters finishing up entry's. Great contest good man!

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: trappingthomas] #7439508
12/23/21 12:18 PM
12/23/21 12:18 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
Excellent! Can't wait to see them!

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7439896
12/23/21 09:14 PM
12/23/21 09:14 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
Pens are going over here too!

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7440474
12/24/21 01:37 PM
12/24/21 01:37 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
OK!!! There is only 8 1/2 hours remaining in our Kids Contest!! I hope that many of you are finalizing your stories and drawings! And remember, PLEASE COPY & PASTE, OR TYPE your story in this thread so we may all be able to read and enjoy them! Please NO PICTURES OF HAND WRITTEN STORIES! These are just too hard to read, and will not be accepted. This thread has over 900 page views, so I hope that means we will have a LOT of kids entering soon.

Good Luck!!

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7440477
12/24/21 01:41 PM
12/24/21 01:41 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
Evan Duliba Age 9 New York

Hi my name is Jim. I’m the mountain man and I love trapping. But my 100 Year old Grandad calls it (frapping).I started trapping when I was 5. The first 3 times I didn’t like it because it was cold and we didn’t catch anything. Then I loved it once I started catching animals. I trap for raccoon, coyote and mink. A few years ago, when I was trapping with Grandad I caught a Christmas raccoon. She was long like a coyote, had a tail like a raccoon, but it was red and green ringed. She could also swim like a mink. I caught her on a dog proof trap, filled with Christmas cookies left over from our baking the day before. Then word got out and I became known as the mountain man. I had cash money offers coming in from all over the country side, but I knew she was worth far more than any amount of money. I decided to release her, so she could have more cubs.
A year passed, and it was Christmas Eve. Grandad was out for a walk before dinner. He had said he’d be back before 5 o’clock. It was now past 5:30. I was very worried. I bundled up and went to look for him. It was a full on blizzard. A tear rolled down my cheek as I thought about Grandad out there, cold and lost. I had taken only five steps away from the house, when I heard a screech. I could not see anything.
“What’s that!??” I said to myself. It’s Grandad and the Christmas raccoon, heading towards me. It is a Christmas Eve miracle. That’s just it! I will name her Eve! We went back to the cabin, and gave Eve some Christmas cookies and hot chocolate. That was the best Christmas ever. Eve you’re a hero to me and Grandad. 30 days later Eve had 3 cubs,1 boys and 2 girls. We named the boy Christ, And the girls Mary and Carol.

42D57EE7-18A4-4BCB-A99B-CA0C079B87FC.jpeg
Last edited by robert.d12; 12/24/21 01:59 PM.

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7440488
12/24/21 01:58 PM
12/24/21 01:58 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
Matthew Duliba Age 6 New York

The mountain man’s story: I love trapping I’ve been trapping since I was six years old. My brother Ryan and Robert love it. I’m bad at it because I am loud. The End My story is short because I am still six.

0C6CFAB2-62F5-47C3-A50A-F39D9976B025.jpeg
Last edited by robert.d12; 12/24/21 01:58 PM.

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7440530
12/24/21 02:55 PM
12/24/21 02:55 PM
New London, Wisconsin
W
WisTrapper Offline
trapper
WisTrapper  Offline
trapper
W

New London, Wisconsin
[Linked Image]
MY name is Emma, I'm 14 years old, and I live in home that resembles a beaver lodge. I was 10 when my mom and dad died from a grizzly attack. After that, I was stuck with my cruel nanna, and I knew I had to run for it. When I was younger, I used to go trapping with my dad at his cabin in the woods, a few miles from where I live now. Last week I shot a mountain goat, which I skun out, tanned the hide, and made a hat, because it was a smaller one. The snow is starting to fall, which should mean that it is the middle of December, and it is time to go to my dad's trapping cabin.It gets a little colder each day and the journey took 8 days to finally find the cabin. I got to the cabin and stayed for the night, because it was a long trip, and was too tired, so I gathered up all the traps from the morning, and went to sleep.
The next morning, I was going back but all my mind was on, was my mom and dad and I couldn't stop thinking of them the whole way back. When I got back home, I fixed up the traps. It was night by the time I was done, so I went to bed, with a dream. The dream was mom, dad, and me. We were all cuddling and smiling! Suddenly I wake up to bell's ringing. I go outside And see a twinkle in the sky. I think for a moment and then look over, and I see boxes wrapped in paper, beautiful paper, under nearby tree. I go over by them and open one of them, and find a picture of mom, dad, and me. It was taken when I was 5, when we were going to find a Christmas tree.
I loved all the presents I got, which were a pocket knife, some rope, and the picture. But the picture was my favorite out of all of them.

This Christmas today today, I would like to wish you a Merry Christmas, but can't in person, but it would be the same in person, or a letter! There's still Christmas Joy.

Merry Christmas!

Emma Pingel,
age 10
Wisconsin

Last edited by WisTrapper; 12/24/21 02:57 PM.
Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7440563
12/24/21 04:03 PM
12/24/21 04:03 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
WisTrapper... better keep an eye out for grizzlies! lol This is the year!

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7440568
12/24/21 04:19 PM
12/24/21 04:19 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
A L L L RIGHT!! I'd like to officially welcome Evan, Matthew, & Emma to my KIDS CONTEST!! VERY nice entries kids! Thank you for your hard work! Looks like this contest is really starting to heat up. You other kids better be putting on your finishing touches...there's less than 6 HOURS LEFT !!!

TICK, TOCK, TICK ,TOCK!!!!

Joe Goodman

Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7440604
12/24/21 05:11 PM
12/24/21 05:11 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
https://trapperman.com/forum/attachments/usergals/2021/12/full-1788-119601-graceboomm_page_001.jpg

My name is Emily I'm 8 and live in the mountains with my two brothers and parents. Christmas is normally boring but this year it was not so boring.

When I woke on Christmas morning Santa had come. The stockings were full. My brothers Bill and Phil went to check the traps with my father. When they came home they brought a trapped bob cat. Soon it was dinner time. We had a feast then we opened our stockings. I got a rag doll and a comb. My brothers got new hats and we all got candy. Mother got white sugar and father got some new traps.

That is the story of my best Christmas!

THE END

graceboomm-page-001.jpg
Last edited by trappingthomas; 12/24/21 05:16 PM.
Re: Annual Tman Kids Art & Writing Contest! [Re: JoeGoodman] #7440623
12/24/21 05:43 PM
12/24/21 05:43 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
[Linked Image]

Lila Woodall
Age 13
Michigan

A Mountain Man's Christmas

It was another early brisk morning and was a beautiful Christmas Eve, but for John it was just another day of hard work. When John got up at about four in the morning, he put on his coat and pants made out of buffalo pelts, which he killed the previous year. He then put on his favorite moccasins, then put on his beaver fur hat, and headed out the door.

When John went outside he went into the shed and grabbed his tools, he then went up to the roof of the shed and fixed the hole that let snow blow in and caused him to have to redry two of his beaver pelts laying in there getting ready to trade. When the sun was all the way up he put away his old trusty ax and hauled in the wood behind his cabin, to put into the fireplace.

John then went inside the cabin to the smell of bacon and potatoes that his wife was cooking. He took off his moccasins and coat, then went to wake up his kids. By the time he had them up and ready, breakfast was done. After they all finished eating he and his oldest daughter got into their fur coats and moccasins, while his wife and youngest kid cleaned up breakfast.

John and his daughter went outside to the shed to grab traps so they could set more by the stream about a half a mile away from their cabin because the morning before he saw some fresh otter tracks in the snow. He also grabbed his rifle just incase it was needed and some stakes to hold the traps down. Once they set the new traps and reset the trap from a beaver catch they brought the beaver to the shed for skinning and drying.

They then took the whole family for a long drive up town to trade and sell their pelts so they could finish Christmas shopping. They only could make this trip this time of year as the winter was unusually warm and the road was still open. Judging by the weather of late it was sure going to close in soon. Once they all went back home his family wrapped gifts and put them under the Christmas tree. Then they all went to bed early ready for Christmas morning to come.

Last edited by trappingthomas; 12/24/21 06:10 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread