No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Anybody ever use bleach on coyotes? [Re: Larry Bowden] #7446131
12/30/21 10:19 PM
12/30/21 10:19 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
I use a small shot of dawn soap is all on the ones that need washed.
And rub borax in if it's still stained, let it dry and brush out.
They clean right up

Let me sugar coat this
Re: Anybody ever use bleach on coyotes? [Re: Marty B] #7446150
12/30/21 10:43 PM
12/30/21 10:43 PM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
Originally Posted by Marty B
Anyone with the cognitive horsepower to tie his own shoes, knows washed coyotes avg higher than the unwashed masses.

Well, anyone with real life experience knows this.

Now , if you live on a keyboard in the Canuck hinterland the fundamentals may escape ya.

That, or you were born with a peanut in your head.

Marty have you bought a few coyotes? Like thousands?

Compulsive Coyote Washer
Re: Anybody ever use bleach on coyotes? [Re: Larry Bowden] #7446187
12/30/21 11:25 PM
12/30/21 11:25 PM
Muskrat Lake,Saskatchewan
S
saskbone Offline
trapper
saskbone  Offline
trapper
S

Muskrat Lake,Saskatchewan
I have sold coyotes for quite a few years. Auction every year and privately every year. I am lucky to live in Saskatchewan and have some good genetics. I foothold for a few weeks every year then move to power rams. Most of my coyotes are caught in snow conditions. They are very clean and don’t need to be washed. My coyotes have always been graded very good. I have always had a bunch of coyotes in the top ten lots,and spread all over down the lot numbers.
Have I had a top lot heavy western coyote? Yes I have, unwashed and all. Genetics play a huge roll in what they sell for. That being said I’ve seen a lot of pictures of the mud balls people post on here and yes I would absolutely wash them.

If I have a little blood on a coyote I have a spray bottle with a mixture of 1/4 bleach and 3/4 water. Spray it on the coyote(hanging by the back feet) and the blood drips off the tips of the hair. Give it a quick wipe and the coyotes dry. After he coyotes completely dry I give it a quick rubdown with borax. Takes a little staining out of the belly’s and crotch area. Shake all the borax out of it and is ready to sell.

I’ve sold 1000s of coyotes. Sold 100 to the same person for the last 8 years and he keeps coming back so they must be clean enough.

All unwashed but do what works for you.
[Linked Image]

Re: Anybody ever use bleach on coyotes? [Re: Larry Bowden] #7446205
12/30/21 11:56 PM
12/30/21 11:56 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
That looks like a Yes , from Saskatchewan. smile

Who is John Galt?
Re: Anybody ever use bleach on coyotes? [Re: Larry Bowden] #7446221
12/31/21 12:09 AM
12/31/21 12:09 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Back in the late 70's I worked for a short time at the Seattle Fur Exchange. A big bunch of coyotes were brought in by a trapper from Montana. He had bleached all of them, it looked like he used a pretty strong solution of bleach and water. They would have been great coyotes without the bleach, but the bleach was so strong it turned all the dark guard hairs a reddish colour. I don't know what they sold for, but I'm pretty sure they would have brought more money if he hadn't bleached them.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Anybody ever use bleach on coyotes? [Re: Larry Bowden] #7446310
12/31/21 06:57 AM
12/31/21 06:57 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Here right now it is 42° Fahrenheit and drizzling. It has drizzled for a few days. Any land animal caught will be at least muddy, and some are mudballs. A Coon can be nearly unrecognizable (to most people) and carry about 5 pounds of mud. That is what trapping is like here in he fall, usually not this late.
Rinse out in a watering trough at least before bringing them in.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Anybody ever use bleach on coyotes? [Re: Larry Bowden] #7446666
12/31/21 01:46 PM
12/31/21 01:46 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak

Here is an example of a guy in Kansas putting up coyotes. I'm not endorsing anything in this video. However, it appears throwing 3 coyotes in a washer and then pulling them out and putting them on a fur hanger to dry takes little labor and time. It starts at about 12 minutes in to 15 minutes of the video. It took him( labor wise) probably max 5 minutes to clean 3 pelts. It appears to be an efficient way to clean pelts. IMHO

Who is John Galt?
Re: Anybody ever use bleach on coyotes? [Re: Larry Bowden] #7446758
12/31/21 03:04 PM
12/31/21 03:04 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Online content
trapper
walleye101  Online Content
trapper
W

MN
I always like this topic when it comes up every year. I'm a wash guy. Maybe it helps, maybe not, but they sure look much better to me. I used to only wash the "real dirty" coyotes the "needed" washing, until I saw how good they looked when they were done. Then once I got set up to do it right, with a washer and dryer, it actually became easier just to do them all, and not worry about which ones needed it or not. You'd be surprised how much dirt comes out of a coyote that appeared to be pretty clean. And they all smell a whole lot better. Do buyers pay more for clean coyote that look nice? I guess it depends on who you ask.

Re: Anybody ever use bleach on coyotes? [Re: Larry Bowden] #7446943
12/31/21 06:46 PM
12/31/21 06:46 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
You dont have to wash them to clean them.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Anybody ever use bleach on coyotes? [Re: Larry Bowden] #7447040
12/31/21 08:00 PM
12/31/21 08:00 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
I know guys that just drum or other variety of choses they have to clean fur I wash coyotes ,cats and fox if I have too.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Anybody ever use bleach on coyotes? [Re: Larry Bowden] #7447122
12/31/21 08:57 PM
12/31/21 08:57 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
i always wash, the spin cycle in the washing machine has amazing effect fluffing up the fur. if i was washing out of sink or 5 gallon bucket i would only sport wash or not at all..use only cold water in washing or they can slip if water to warm.

Re: Anybody ever use bleach on coyotes? [Re: Larry Bowden] #7447207
12/31/21 09:57 PM
12/31/21 09:57 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Im going with Boco I use a death ray to dispatch no blood, often there is mud and dust and dung but once its dried comes out easy even the little bit of blood turns to dust. On shot coyotes or extremely muddy critters like coon I hose them off just so they are easier to work with. I have had more than my share of compliments and top lot furs at state auctions and international. I have also sold for years to traveling buyers and have not had one complaint on my put up. Lee's death ray is a wonder tool, even better than a 22 short. As far as the bleaching and peroxide when I was much younger a trapping partner and I tried to peroxide out the milk stains on a couple of female cats and couple coyotes. First mistake was doing more than one critter on the test drive. Our experiment ruined to cats and 3 coyotes with tawny bellis. Yeah they got a bit whiter and turned all the black spots brown. After we got them boarded hair started slipping. I mixed up a bunch of skunk cleaner one time with the hydrogen peroxide, dish soap and baking soda. Had about six skunks as I remember and put them in a pale and mixed up about 6 qts of the scent off and left them for the afternoon. All the black hair was brown but they smelled good. Talk to Greg Schroder at Fur Harvesters about washing coyotes the buyers complain all the natural oil goes out of them.
I will say well put of fur shows every defect which buyers like.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread