No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Expensive Projects [Re: lee steinmeyer] #7444625
12/29/21 12:13 PM
12/29/21 12:13 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Your prolly right. This new pressure treated crap I’ve seen, is wetter than fresh cut wood! They will prolly shrink as they dry! I’ve put wood decks on trailers many times, and used dryer wood, and always put a quarter inch space between boards. Funny, in wet weather, it’s a solid floor!

Swamp, they push against the sides of the trailer. It is amazing the power of swelling wood….or freezing ground…freezing water…etc. Trailer mfg always space their boards!

We didnt intentionally leave any gaps but the boards are not real tight. I think we are gonna treat the wood with some kind of sealant at a later date. The pt wood is very wet so I think we need to wait on that a bit.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Expensive Projects [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7444662
12/29/21 12:57 PM
12/29/21 12:57 PM
Northern Illinois
MuddyMike Offline
trapper
MuddyMike  Offline
trapper

Northern Illinois
i replaced my trailer deck last year i left about half inch gap between boards my reason for doing it was ease of cleaning the only things it huals regularly is my zero turn, 318 garden tractor and 4 wheeler. mud and grass fall through the big gap easier. i used treated 2x6 and they were super wet as well. i let it dry out for a good 4 months in a climate controlled shop over our cold season then i used old motor oil applied with an old paint brush i did this 2 times as i could tell where it had really sunk into the wood so added a second coat. i went super heavy on the end grains and it seems to be holding up great rain pretty much runs off it.

Re: Expensive Projects [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7444672
12/29/21 01:09 PM
12/29/21 01:09 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
If you've ever seen the warehouses they store greentreated lumber, you'll see a sprinkler system used to keep it wet. When delivered to lumber yards they recommend to store in the shade and not to open up another bundle till the first one is used up or you'll end up with a pile of airplane propellers.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Expensive Projects [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7444687
12/29/21 01:25 PM
12/29/21 01:25 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
If ya really want them to last use that Shou Sugi Ban treatment. It is a Jap deal where you burn the wood twice with a torch and then apply about any oil to it. Lasts forever and gets real hard also. I have used it and it works great, even with pine. I did some poplar back in the eighties and it still looks like new today.

Re: Expensive Projects [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7444987
12/29/21 08:13 PM
12/29/21 08:13 PM
Sugar Grove, WV
J
JTfromWV Offline
trapper
JTfromWV  Offline
trapper
J

Sugar Grove, WV
My 16 foot trailer was built in 1998. I replaced the decking 8 months ago. Luckily I am a procrastinator and had bought the material Pre-covid at normal prices. Getting ready to put a new metal roof on my one building. Bought the metal at the same time as the decking at about half of the current cost.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread