No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Thinkin of gettin a hound(s) [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7444973
12/29/21 08:04 PM
12/29/21 08:04 PM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
5 coyote running dogs
6 beagles
1 coonhound
1 cur

1 Garmin Allpha 200 with 5 track/shock collars
1 Garmin Astro with 2 collars

I enjoy my coyote dogs the most - we never shoot a coyote and just dump fresh dogs on after a mile or two and our hounds finish the coyote
Beagles the second and coonhound third - cur is a good varmint dog but not a hound....
hunted squirrels with some good feists and curs but prefer still hunting them with a .22
around $1400 in dogfood a year - do my own vet stuff

Re: Thinkin of gettin a hound(s) [Re: WV Danimal] #7444998
12/29/21 08:21 PM
12/29/21 08:21 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by WV Danimal
[Linked Image]
My "hounds" are still learning. Haven't had the cur on coon yet but he's hammering squirrels. The Garmin Alpha Pro was an absolute god send! Pricey but well worth it.

Awesome!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Thinkin of gettin a hound(s) [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7445022
12/29/21 08:45 PM
12/29/21 08:45 PM
nw wi
I
iron rob Offline
trapper
iron rob  Offline
trapper
I

nw wi
I’ve had hounds for 20 years. There is nothing more fun imho than hunting behind GOOD hounds, but nothing more miserable than running around the woods trying to catch hounds chasing off game. To have good hounds you have to hunt them ALOT.

Re: Thinkin of gettin a hound(s) [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7445133
12/29/21 10:14 PM
12/29/21 10:14 PM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
I used to run bear and cat hounds, blue ticks,walkers and plotts. You have to be committed and have lots of time and money(food,vets and gas). Our bear were runners and didn't tree well so we could be picking up dogs several days after dumping on a track. Cats were different they usually treed as soon as the dogs caught them. Dogs needed to be roaded in the off season so they were in reasonable shape at the start of the season. You need understanding neighbors when your dog trees his house cat in his yard. We had some dogs shot when they came off the mountain and stopped at the first house they came to and it belonged to an anti hound hunter. Saying that I still miss it and have talked to my buddy about getting a couple cat dogs and starting again.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: Thinkin of gettin a hound(s) [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7445135
12/29/21 10:17 PM
12/29/21 10:17 PM
Central MN
T
Tyler D Offline
trapper
Tyler D  Offline
trapper
T

Central MN
I have a black mouth cur she’s from the Ladner’s down in Mississippi this fall was her first fall she’s a heck of a hunter she trees every chipmunk and squirrel that tries to run across the yard all summer long and the father in law and I got her started on coon this fall she is doing alright she definitely needs more time but around here it’s nice to have a close hunting cur dog because the chunks of land we hunt are small and everyone around here is trying to grow a monster buck on their 10 acres and boy if you go chasing after a hound across 10 different chunks of land you will be on 40 different trail cameras and they will hunt you down. Something to keep in mind[img]http://[/img][Linked Image]

Last edited by Tyler D; 12/29/21 10:19 PM.
Re: Thinkin of gettin a hound(s) [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7445231
12/29/21 11:39 PM
12/29/21 11:39 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
I’m going to be frank with you…not all hounds make the cut. And family get attached to even the pot lickers. Either have so many that they can’t keep track or only have one good one. If you decide to only have one, buy one that is already doing what you want and be ready to pay for it.

Re: Thinkin of gettin a hound(s) [Re: WV Danimal] #7445275
12/30/21 12:18 AM
12/30/21 12:18 AM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Originally Posted by WV Danimal
[Linked Image]
My "hounds" are still learning. Haven't had the cur on coon yet but he's hammering squirrels. The Garmin Alpha Pro was an absolute god send! Pricey but well worth it.

Great picture, how did you train them dogs to get that young fella up in that truck? More important, what if he jumps into another truck then another? Are they gonna rat him out? Or just sit and say "well dad this is where he was last time we saw him"

Again great pic.

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Re: Thinkin of gettin a hound(s) [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7445279
12/30/21 12:28 AM
12/30/21 12:28 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Now you have me watching cur videos. Grr if i ever get a job close to home and can be home to take care of them i think i will have a kennel full of dogs again.

Re: Thinkin of gettin a hound(s) [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7445303
12/30/21 01:12 AM
12/30/21 01:12 AM
erie, PA
T
trapperpaul Offline
trapper
trapperpaul  Offline
trapper
T

erie, PA
My current hound situation is that I have a 2.5 year old spayed blue tick. Lives in the house and is house trained Great family dog and house dog. Very loud though if cats running in yard or someone rings doorbell but we are working on that. Great hunting dog also. With prices low only hunt occasionally just to keep in shape and used to just running coon. If you start with a pup you can train it to be your ideal dog but will take some work

Re: Thinkin of gettin a hound(s) [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7445341
12/30/21 03:00 AM
12/30/21 03:00 AM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
One thing my cur does that I don't like is if a tree is on an angle she will not hesitate to go up after a squirrel or coon. Have had her 12 to 15 foot up the tree.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Thinkin of gettin a hound(s) [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7445342
12/30/21 03:48 AM
12/30/21 03:48 AM
Wisconsin
D
Dillon Benda Offline
trapper
Dillon Benda  Offline
trapper
D

Wisconsin
I don't think I'd be that concerned about them being hard headed out hard to train. I think hounds sometimes get a bad rep because they live on a chain or in a kennel till it's time to go hunting. I mostly have curs but they've all got quite a bit of hound in them and I've had hounds in the past. If you treat them like a normal dog and do a little yard training they don't have to be hard to handle. They aren't all going to come running from a quarter mile when you call them but I've never been around one with a little training that wouldn't come that far with a tone on the e collar. They'll make about as good of a house pet as anything else too if that's what you want to do. The one thing that I've found that takes a little extra work is if you want them to run loose some. I usually like to have dogs out if we're outside working or whatever. Some of them took a little persistence to get them to stay around. It would have been hard without a gps collar.

Re: Thinkin of gettin a hound(s) [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7445449
12/30/21 08:34 AM
12/30/21 08:34 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I've had hounds my whole life, currently have nine. I bear, bobcat and lion hunt them, haven't coon hunted much since I was just out of high school. But to answer your question, yes one dog is fine for coons, I always like to run at least a couple dogs together but I've caught a lot of game with just one dog. Most hounds have a very good temperament with people and kids, and other dogs. Yes they hunt for themselves, but in my opinion no dog that doesn't has enough heart to keep going when the going gets really rough. And this doesn't mean you can train them to quit and come to you when want to catch them. It just means it will take more work to do so. Hunting with a good hound is a lot of fun, in my opinion nothing else compares to it. But a warning, to be good a hound needs hunted a lot, and it is a lot more fun to hunt with a good dog than one which is chain stale and no good.

Listen to Dillon, everything he says is true. Almost every houndman (mostly bear hunters) I've been around from back east had dogs that didn't handle at all, many of them didn't even know their names, much less that they needed to listen to them. Yet I've hunted around a few other guys whose dogs listened without them raising their voice, and they could call them off a hot race or bayed bear without a problem. It is all a matter of training, mine fall somewhere in between, I have to raise my voice to get mine to pay attention when they are smelling something interesting; and catching them off a bayed bear, or getting them to come on away from a tree when they see the bear or lion bail out can be a bit dicey. But they handle well enough for me, and I don't use leashes except leading them the first 50 yards away from a bear tree, bear are particularly prone to come out as soon as you pull dogs away from the tree and while you are still in sight, most other animals will stay in the tree until you are out of sight.

Re: Thinkin of gettin a hound(s) [Re: TreedaBlackdog] #7445730
12/30/21 02:13 PM
12/30/21 02:13 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by TreedaBlackdog
5 coyote running dogs
6 beagles
1 coonhound
1 cur

1 Garmin Allpha 200 with 5 track/shock collars
1 Garmin Astro with 2 collars

I enjoy my coyote dogs the most - we never shoot a coyote and just dump fresh dogs on after a mile or two and our hounds finish the coyote
Beagles the second and coonhound third - cur is a good varmint dog but not a hound....
hunted squirrels with some good feists and curs but prefer still hunting them with a .22
around $1400 in dogfood a year - do my own vet stuff

Actually, a cur dog is a hound dog.

Re: Thinkin of gettin a hound(s) [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7446123
12/30/21 10:12 PM
12/30/21 10:12 PM
MN
K
K9BeavCoon Offline OP
trapper
K9BeavCoon  Offline OP
trapper
K

MN
Well, I’m certainly gunna dig into this more. Just googling the different coon hounds it looks like blueticks or treeing walkers could be a good fit for me. I really like the look of a bluetick. I’m gunna keep trying to locate someone I could ride along with, and at the very least get some books/videos on what training dogs looks like and talk to some breeders.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread