No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: CaseXX] #7446192
12/30/21 11:37 PM
12/30/21 11:37 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
According to my last name, probably Scottish. But no records of my last name exist anywhere. So it was seriously misspelled at some point... Or we were such criminals that the nobility did their best to erase our ever having existed.

I'm joking. Sort of.

The explanation I have been given is pretty murky and convoluted and involves "borrowed" names and such.

A DNA test might yield some clues but I'm not overly concerned with pursuing it.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: CaseXX] #7446209
12/31/21 12:00 AM
12/31/21 12:00 AM
West Tennessee
D
doublesettrigger Offline
trapper
doublesettrigger  Offline
trapper
D

West Tennessee
McCaffey Clan. Today it is pronounced Cathey.

Re: Scots-Irish [Re: CaseXX] #7446218
12/31/21 12:06 AM
12/31/21 12:06 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Little known fact of Scottish surnames. Not all members of a named clan are necessarily blood kin. The romantic notion is that the clan is one big blood kin family with the chieftanship passing through the eldest son with the rest making up the clan. Truth is many of the others right down to the lowest crofter shared the surname only as families who at one point came under the protection of or sworn fealty to the local strongman. And then there are Septs or families of differing surnames but included in a clan for the same reasons. This is why some surnames can belong to multiple clans.

In my own clan the current chief is actually a Gordon. When Dame Flora MacLeod passed without a male heir the chieftanship passed to her grandson through her daughter who was married to the Chief of Clan Gordon. Chief John would change his name from Gordon to MacLeod. His son Hugh is now chief.

Another tidbit. Chief Hugh was challenged in his claim but it was dismissed. To this day any chief can be challenged or even long extinct chieftanships can be resurrected if the genealogy can be proven.

[Linked Image]
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: warrior] #7446225
12/31/21 12:15 AM
12/31/21 12:15 AM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline OP
trapper
CaseXX  Offline OP
trapper
C

Indiana
All, I had no idea how far this question would go, quite frankly it exceeds my wildest hopes, as anyone knows you don't ask a question you don't know the answer to. I do know most Americans don't have a clue about what the S-I have done for our republic and it's form of government, let alone know themselves, who they are and/or where they come from. I am well aware and have made an extensive search into my family's history. Most don't know we declared our freedom from the kings before the colonies did, they don't know we don't need the second amendment to tell us we have the right to bear arms, they have absolutely no idea how far we as a culture have come. So they can't know how far we can fall, they have no idea that their are no born aristocracy. They have forgotten that freemen don't work for wages, freemen work for themselves making what life they can by the sweat of their brow, hand and mind. The king doesn't own the land I do. The king doesn't own me or my mind I do. Some, maybe most don't agree with me but I've read things in this post that give me hope. Rant done.
Case

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: CaseXX] #7446236
12/31/21 12:30 AM
12/31/21 12:30 AM
Va
O
Owen156 Offline
trapper
Owen156  Offline
trapper
O

Va
Scotch Irish on my mothers side, and German on my fathers side.

Re: Scots-Irish [Re: CaseXX] #7446239
12/31/21 12:34 AM
12/31/21 12:34 AM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline OP
trapper
CaseXX  Offline OP
trapper
C

Indiana
Worked myself up into a lather their. Sorry bout that. I'm cooling down now.

Rules:
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: KeithC] #7446245
12/31/21 12:46 AM
12/31/21 12:46 AM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by KeithC
Originally Posted by CaseXX Collector
Would love to see that pedigree. T.W.N.A.O. T-man, your only talking about approx. 800 years.my people were there 400 yrs ago. Guess I'll have to Google it myself. Thanks for the history.

And look now, your in North America. You guys get around.

John O'Hart traced the pedigrees of the major Irish families.

https://www.libraryireland.com/Pedigrees1/title.php

You may be able to trace your family back far enough on www.familysearch.org to link into his work.

Some of O'Hart's recorded pedigrees go all the way to Adam & Eve. Mine does. I suspect that some of the older parts of the pedigrees are questionable, though they are based on the bible and other well respected works.

Keith

Yes Keith... i have those line to Adam and eve... those line were created by the Royal familes just to show their superior race. I show a lot of royal blood through British Isle and Europe... but can't find where any of them left me any money.

I just told the gal that I found her father after all these years and she was completely beside herself. I don't charge people to do their family, but she insisted on paying my dies for another year of Ancestry. I tried talking her out of it, but wouldn't accept no for an answer.

If I can help anyone with getting started PM me and I will see what I can do. I believe it is now about 58 years I have been doing it. I have only 2 lines in my family left to break through brick walls and I can die happy... but don't really ever expect it will happen... and one of them is my McLaughlin line... the crazy Irishmen didn't leave much of a trail. He was one of the last of my ancestors to come to this country and that is around 1803... I just shy of 54,000 names joined in my database and could have 1/2 that many moore if I would fill in all of my familes kids.

Good night all.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: CaseXX] #7446255
12/31/21 01:00 AM
12/31/21 01:00 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by CaseXX Collector
All, I had no idea how far this question would go, quite frankly it exceeds my wildest hopes, as anyone knows you don't ask a question you don't know the answer to. I do know most Americans don't have a clue about what the S-I have done for our republic and it's form of government, let alone know themselves, who they are and/or where they come from. I am well aware and have made an extensive search into my family's history. Most don't know we declared our freedom from the kings before the colonies did, they don't know we don't need the second amendment to tell us we have the right to bear arms, they have absolutely no idea how far we as a culture have come. So they can't know how far we can fall, they have no idea that their are no born aristocracy. They have forgotten that freemen don't work for wages, freemen work for themselves making what life they can by the sweat of their brow, hand and mind. The king doesn't own the land I do. The king doesn't own me or my mind I do. Some, maybe most don't agree with me but I've read things in this post that give me hope. Rant done.
Case

The Scots and Scotch/Irish are a hard headed lot and American owes much of her existence to that determination. Much of the opening of the west, and not the west on the other side of the big ditch either but the west on the other side of the Appalachians was due to those hard heads refusing to settle down and accept a role as a lower class to the long established tidewater planter class. It was long established Crown policy that the mountains were a border with English to the east and Indians to the west and further expansion was restricted. They kind of set the tone that America would eventually reach the pacific.

[Linked Image]
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: warrior] #7446259
12/31/21 01:38 AM
12/31/21 01:38 AM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline OP
trapper
CaseXX  Offline OP
trapper
C

Indiana
Thank God someone besides me reads real history, thanks Warrior. They don’t know we were the first line of defense against west coming east enemies. They had to protect that old money built up on the coast. We were fodder to them. And the first ones to go west, that would be Ohio, Ind. Ill. Ken. and south to the Carolina s. The people watching John Wayne movies think that was the west, that’s the real joke. Anything past the original 13 was the real west.

Rules:
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: CaseXX] #7446263
12/31/21 01:42 AM
12/31/21 01:42 AM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline
trapper
Wallace  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
[Linked Image]

Re: Scots-Irish [Re: CaseXX] #7446280
12/31/21 05:27 AM
12/31/21 05:27 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Yes Scots, Irish as well as German, Spanish, French and American Indian, and my kids are also Asian as well

Guess my family is just what my dad always referred to as Heinz 57 American mutt

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: CaseXX] #7446287
12/31/21 06:04 AM
12/31/21 06:04 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Not me, but I admire your heritage and plan to visit Scotland.
I like your colors too.
The skirts are wonderful, but better on a beautiful red haired lass!

What do you folks think about Hollywood remaking the classic movie “The Quiet Man”? John Wayne, Maureen O’Hara, and Victor MacLaughlin made the movie great! The new version will star the Witch who married Prince Harry. Can’t you picture her as an Irish lassie? Insulting!

My earliest verified and documented ancestor arrived at Philadelphia in 1717 from Switzerland. Some of his descendants followed, but detoured through Germany about 20-30 years later. My family history was researched and documented in a formal Genealogy written in hardback book published in 1933. 300 copies were printed. My grandfather is listed in the book.

Best wishes!

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: CaseXX] #7446402
12/31/21 08:51 AM
12/31/21 08:51 AM
West GA
T
T-REV Offline
trapper
T-REV  Offline
trapper
T

West GA
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
CRAWFORD CLAN. I have a large book on my ancestry of my father’s side clear back to Scotland. Awesome book!

Last edited by T-REV; 12/31/21 08:53 AM.
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: CaseXX] #7446439
12/31/21 09:31 AM
12/31/21 09:31 AM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
[Linked Image]
The Bandy family

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: bandy] #7446450
12/31/21 09:56 AM
12/31/21 09:56 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by bandy
[Linked Image]
The Bandy family

Did you know that under Scottish laws arms as in armorial bearing are property and can only be borne by their rightful owner? Usually the chief or an individual that has been granted arms by Lord Lyon of Lyons Court. Clan members have no rights to bear or display arms not belonging to them. They may display or bear a clan badge that may or may not have a portion of the chiefs arms, usually the crest and/or motto.

Individual arms usually are not heritable. But if they are and they have fallen vacant any descendant in the direct line may pick them up if they can prove to be the rightful heir to Lyons Court.

Falsely bearing arms or assuming arms is a criminal offense in Scotland.

Somewhat the same without criminal penalty applies to the wearing of feathers, usually eagle, on the bonnet. Only chiefs (three) subchiefs (two) or armorial individuals (one) are to wear the feathers with some clans recognizing colonels of regiments or industry leaders as entitled to wear a single feather. The Crown wears four.

Much of this differs from English armorial law.

[Linked Image]
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: Mike in A-town] #7446457
12/31/21 10:02 AM
12/31/21 10:02 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Online mad
trapper
Northof50  Online Mad
trapper
N

Manitoba
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
According to my last name, probably Scottish. But no records of my last name exist anywhere. So it was seriously misspelled at some point... Or we were such criminals that the nobility did their best to erase our ever having existed.

I'm joking. Sort of.

The explanation I have been given is pretty murky and convoluted and involves "borrowed" names and such.

A DNA test might yield some clues but I'm not overly concerned with pursuing it.

Mike

Some of the Immigration Officers would spell the way they felt when the people came into the country, and most being illiterate would not know what went on their passport. Many Scot and Welsh were viewed with discus by the British agents going back to the resentment of boarder skirmishes of past.
Every wonder why a Scot can only carry a Skindo in his stocking ? and has to show the handle when in public.

Re: Scots-Irish [Re: CaseXX] #7446469
12/31/21 10:17 AM
12/31/21 10:17 AM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
That's good because as far as my research Bandy's origin is French. At one point the Bandy family name was the largest family registry in the world. My family is found in the third book of Bandy I think chapter 2 from where my family left Liverpool England to Virginia in 1742 and from then till now I am in Virginia. The last in the line of my family but not the line of my people the peacock is the symbol in purple and gold.

Last edited by bandy; 12/31/21 10:37 AM.

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: CaseXX] #7446470
12/31/21 10:19 AM
12/31/21 10:19 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I didn't post that to bust anyone's chops. Most of us are Americans and can do whatever we want. The Canucks among us still have to kneel though. LOL

I'm just a history nerd.

[Linked Image]
Re: Scots-Irish [Re: CaseXX] #7446475
12/31/21 10:30 AM
12/31/21 10:30 AM
Nevada
YamaCat Offline
trapper
YamaCat  Offline
trapper

Nevada
For some reason, years ago , my family changed their name from Mac to Mc . Not sure why, maybe some sort of persecution.

Re: Scots-Irish [Re: bandy] #7446490
12/31/21 10:50 AM
12/31/21 10:50 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by bandy
That's good because as far as my research Bandy's origin is French.

It might surprise many if they understood that many notable Scot, Irish and Welch clans and families are actually Norman French. William the Conqueror was quite shrewd in rewarding his warriors by scattering them out into the borders of his newly acquired kingdom.
Even the Scottish patriot Robert the Bruce was Norman and William Wallace most certainly was fluent in French as a Gaelic speaking Pict he most certainly was not.

And let's not forget the "Auld Alliance" between the Scottish and French crowns against England.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread