No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
A Genealogy Success ..... #7444557
12/29/21 11:07 AM
12/29/21 11:07 AM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
After 3 years of diligent digging and 1000s of hours, I have been able to put a family together. This may seem simple, but it wasn't. A cousin had come to me and said his wife had been adopted at birth and she had no idea who her parents were, could I help unravel it. The first thing I told her was to get a DNA test from Ancestry. She did this.

Taking what little she could come up with I started digging. I believe it was someone on here that told me that Indiana had made it possible to get previously sealed information. My cousin had his wife apply for the closed information and after about 3 months received it. Since she had been adopted right from the hospital at birth, her adoptive parents were name as the parents. But... the birth mother's name was on the document. So, I went to work with that name. I was a member of Ancestry.com at the time so I filled out the info I had and sat back and waited... but just a few days when a half-sister made contact with me, and I was off and running.

No one still living had any idea who the father was. So, for all of that time I have checking, all of the cousins that come up with a DNA match. I had great success with those on the mother's side of the along with the half-sister. There were still about 25% of the cousins with matching DNA I couldn't connect. I sent many emails to those cousins asking for any information. Most... 75% didn't answer and those that did couldn't help.

I finally had about 5 or 6 names that gave great potential, but nothing I could hang my hat on or to pin the action on (being the sperm donor). I finally gave up a couple of months ago and told my cousin, I was defeated, and my Ancestry account ran out on December 22, 2021.

Christmas Eve morning for some reason, I have idea why, a name popped into my head about who the father could be. I turned on computer and I knew the name, because I had checked voraciously his brother-in-law. Since I could no longer use the full force of Ancestry, I could still plug information into her data base along with a couple of other sites I use a lot. I immediately started getting positive result. So, I spent several days, most all my waking hours. Checking data, building scenarios, going back checking the 25% of the DNA matching cousins and everything turned positive. I have been relating everything I was finding to the half-sister. Just today I found 2 compelling matches that make it 99.9% a positive match, with finding a half-brother.

I will be contacting cousin\s wife this evening, giving her the news.

Now if I could just break through 2 of my final brick walls I have been working for 58 years... I could die happy.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: A Genealogy Success ..... [Re: Actor] #7444577
12/29/21 11:22 AM
12/29/21 11:22 AM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
Its very eye opening when searching through the files of our history.

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: A Genealogy Success ..... [Re: Actor] #7444580
12/29/21 11:23 AM
12/29/21 11:23 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Sounds like you have a great hobby. I have an aunt and a sister that are really into tracking ancestry as well, they have come up with a lot of cool information, including that I am related to Daniel Boone, and then by marriage, Abraham Lincoln through Daniel Boone (Daniel Boone's brother's daughter married Abraham Lincoln, the grandfather of president Lincoln).

Interesting stuff.

Re: A Genealogy Success ..... [Re: Actor] #7444589
12/29/21 11:32 AM
12/29/21 11:32 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
That process is a double edged sword. Have a sister in law........what got a call one day from a lady.....had done the same......informed sister in law she was their half sister. Both shared the same father.......who had fathered a child.....this lady..... out of wedlock. Lady wanted to connect with her newly discovered half sister. If memory serves, lady said sister in law and her siblings were the only blood relatives this lady had......which was why she was reaching out to them.

Did not sit well with half sister. It destroyed the otherwise good memories of her father. Anyway, bottom line was "thanks......but no thanks". We don't know you and don't want to know you. Both walked away crushed.

Re: A Genealogy Success ..... [Re: HayDay] #7444608
12/29/21 11:52 AM
12/29/21 11:52 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by HayDay
That process is a double edged sword. Have a sister in law........what got a call one day from a lady.....had done the same......informed sister in law she was their half sister. Both shared the same father.......who had fathered a child.....this lady..... out of wedlock. Lady wanted to connect with her newly discovered half sister. If memory serves, lady said sister in law and her siblings were the only blood relatives this lady had......which was why she was reaching out to them.

Did not sit well with half sister. It destroyed the otherwise good memories of her father. Anyway, bottom line was "thanks......but no thanks". We don't know you and don't want to know you. Both walked away crushed.

Sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

I know things of my grandfather that my Dad would deny even though he's let slip a few gap filling details himself.

[Linked Image]
Re: A Genealogy Success ..... [Re: warrior] #7444692
12/29/21 01:32 PM
12/29/21 01:32 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by HayDay

Sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

I know things of my grandfather that my Dad would deny even though he's let slip a few gap filling details himself.

You guys are both right. I have a friend who in his teenage days had a girl friend that he got pregnant. They broke up, she gave the baby up for adoption. Years later, the girl friend died. A few years ago, the baby, now a married woman, through DNA testing and records no longer sealed, found out who her biological father was. She has wanted to make contact with her biological father.

My friend's wife was unaware of this. He had never told her about something that happened in this teen years which was almost 60 years ago. They are still married, but the marriage is not the same happy marriage it used to be.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: A Genealogy Success ..... [Re: Actor] #7444707
12/29/21 01:58 PM
12/29/21 01:58 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Only the horse drawing the buggy wagon can verify what happened.
and many a country romance has been solved that way
back in the golden oldie days

Re: A Genealogy Success ..... [Re: Actor] #7444734
12/29/21 02:36 PM
12/29/21 02:36 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
I can see it from both sides. Good, bad or ugly, most of us grow up knowing who we are.......where we came from. Not knowing could be a terrible burden for some. A void that one longs to fill. A terrible itch that just has to be scratched.

On balance, hard to know which is best. Knowing......and the consequences of that.....come what may.......or living with that empty void.

Re: A Genealogy Success ..... [Re: BernieB.] #7444738
12/29/21 02:41 PM
12/29/21 02:41 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by BernieB.
Sounds like you have a great hobby. I have an aunt and a sister that are really into tracking ancestry as well, they have come up with a lot of cool information, including that I am related to Daniel Boone, and then by marriage, Abraham Lincoln through Daniel Boone (Daniel Boone's brother's daughter married Abraham Lincoln, the grandfather of president Lincoln).

Interesting stuff.

Bernie... we are probably related... Squire Boone married Sarah Morgan... While Squire Boone's brother James Boone, Sr., married Mary Foulke. Anne Boone, daughter of Mary and James married Abraham Lincoln. This Abraham Lincoln was the Great Grand Uncle of President of Lincoln. There were, 3 Abraham Lincolns. The 3rd one was President Lincoln's Grandfather, who was the son of John Lincoln. President Lincoln is my 5th cousin, 6 times removed. My relation to him is through his mother Nancy Hanks.

My relationship to Daniel Boone is through his mother Sarh Morgan, her father Edward Morgan is my 8th Great grandfather and Daniel is my 1rst cousin, 8 times removed. All relationships are based on and through your grandparents or great Grandparents.

My relationship is also through the wife of James Boone, Sr., Mary Foulke. Mary's Grandfather is Edward Foulke, who is my 8th Grandfather.

I just found another cousin, Capt. Samuel Brady, Rev. War (the Vengeful Indian Fighter) was married to Drusilla Swearingen, daught of Capt. "Indian" Van Swearingen who was my 5th Great Grand Uncle. I believe Brady was the first of the men that were lost on Boone's first trip into Kentucky. they must have made a movie about this guy... it is as exciting as Daniel Boone's.

I seem to have a bunch of these early guys like Boone, Swearingen, Brady and Jesse Hughes that run in my family.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Re: A Genealogy Success ..... [Re: Actor] #7444803
12/29/21 04:21 PM
12/29/21 04:21 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Meh, you're way too good looking to be related to me.

But seriously, yes there are a lot of connections there that are in my family tree as well.

Re: A Genealogy Success ..... [Re: Actor] #7444829
12/29/21 04:51 PM
12/29/21 04:51 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
From: https://sites.google.com/a/westliberty.edu/nicodemus-history-files/home/samuel-brady

During the late fall of 1795, Brady and some of his scouts were crossing a stream on the way home from one of their expeditions in the Ohio country when Sam slipped on an icy rock and landed head first into the swollen creek. He almost drowned before the other men could get to him and pull him out. The fall may have been the because of his bad leg from the old rifle wound. Sam developed a lung infection which the old timers called Pleurisy. For the next two months, he would get better and then worse. He died at his home in West Liberty on Christmas day in 1794. He was just 39 years old.

The dates don't match (died due to a fall in the water a year later) but the description of events match what I have read elsewhere.

Re: A Genealogy Success ..... [Re: EdP] #7444843
12/29/21 05:12 PM
12/29/21 05:12 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by EdP
From: https://sites.google.com/a/westliberty.edu/nicodemus-history-files/home/samuel-brady

During the late fall of 1795, Brady and some of his scouts were crossing a stream on the way home from one of their expeditions in the Ohio country when Sam slipped on an icy rock and landed head first into the swollen creek. He almost drowned before the other men could get to him and pull him out. The fall may have been the because of his bad leg from the old rifle wound. Sam developed a lung infection which the old timers called Pleurisy. For the next two months, he would get better and then worse. He died at his home in West Liberty on Christmas day in 1794. He was just 39 years old.
The dates don't match (died due to a fall in the water a year later) but the description of events match what I have read elsewhere.

You are correct... I went back and checked my records and sure enough he had died of pleurisy... Now I need to go back and find out who it was that was with Boone... it was kin of some kind. Thank you... I certainly wasn't trying to mislead anyone...

CORRECTION: The man that died was John "Long Hunter" Stewart, he was married to Daniel's sister Hannah Morgan Boone. WHEHHH>>> That was embarrassing

Too much going in this foggy brain of mine.

Garry-

Last edited by Actor; 12/29/21 05:13 PM.

Re: A Genealogy Success ..... [Re: Actor] #7444926
12/29/21 07:13 PM
12/29/21 07:13 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota

Sad to hear. Perhaps its a guy view of things, but when people are dead, why judge so harshly? People aren't perfect. Why should actions in the past weigh so much now? It certainly wasn't the new half-sister's fault. Perhaps things can mellow some over time and a new positive relationship can grow...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: A Genealogy Success ..... [Re: Actor] #7446829
12/31/21 04:05 PM
12/31/21 04:05 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
I beleive that Boone found Stewart's remains years later where Stewart had hid after being wounded (apparently fatally) by Indians.

Re: A Genealogy Success ..... [Re: Actor] #7446905
12/31/21 05:37 PM
12/31/21 05:37 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Yep. Some people cant accept that their parents and also their children, are as human as they themselves are. They put them on a pedestal then are devastated by the truth

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread