No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Muskrat meat bait #7450171
01/03/22 09:26 PM
01/03/22 09:26 PM
Kansas
T
Trapper06 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper06  Offline OP
trapper
T

Kansas
Does anyone have suggestions for a homemade predator bait made out of muskrat meat?

Re: Muskrat meat bait [Re: Trapper06] #7450194
01/03/22 09:49 PM
01/03/22 09:49 PM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Bout a million bait n lure guys on here, there all better than mine. But I'll give you one that has worked for me. 1 mushrat 1 hand ax, gut rat, chop into walnut size pieces, put in dirt hole. Check your local laws. Makes bout 8-10 sets.

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Re: Muskrat meat bait [Re: Trapper06] #7450215
01/03/22 10:05 PM
01/03/22 10:05 PM
Kansas
T
Trapper06 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper06  Offline OP
trapper
T

Kansas
Ok, thank you.

Re: Muskrat meat bait [Re: Trapper06] #7450237
01/03/22 10:30 PM
01/03/22 10:30 PM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Yep, if you go to the all forums page scroll down to the page for baits lures archives I'm sure you will find many good recipes and formulations. Good luck, maybe someone will help you with more knowledge than I. I think it may be archived if not there is a live current page for such things.

Yes archive bait, lures, urin.

Last edited by CaseXX; 01/03/22 10:33 PM. Reason: Add info

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Re: Muskrat meat bait [Re: Trapper06] #7450255
01/03/22 11:02 PM
01/03/22 11:02 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Here's a way to make a meat based k9/cat bait. The ingredients I added are only my choice you can add as many or few additives as you would like. Also the meat may be mice, beaver, cat, groundhog, muskrat, rabbit, ect... You're only limited by your imagination but this will give you an idea what is involved and give you a look at bait making step by step.

1. This is one gallon of meat base diced into 1" pieces. I removed all the guts, fur, and head then diced the rest bones and all. (There are no bones over 1" long)...

[Linked Image]

2. I then put the lid on this bucket and set this bucket inside a 5 gal. bucket with a lid on it. I made 4 pinholes in the lid of the 5 gal. bucket to allow gases to escape but to keep flies out. (it is very important to never let flies get into the bait) I set the bucket outside in the sun for a few days to reach a medium level of taint. At that point it looked like this...

[Linked Image]

3. *I poured the meat into the 5 gal. bucket for easier mixing. I then mixed one half pint sodium benzoate (preservative) with warm water til it was dissolved and added it along with a pint glyceryn (anti-freeze), some beaver castor and some muskrat glands and a few other "secret" things like that to the meat base and stirred it well.

*instead of step #3 above you could just order a pint of Dobbins Bait Solution, add it to the gallon of meat and go on to step #4.

4. I replaced the lid on the bucket and moved it to a cool place. I will stir it once or twice weekly for two weeks or so to allow complete permeation and intermingling of the ingredients.

Here it is after two weeks...

[Linked Image]

5. You can then jar it up and it's good to store any place out of direct sunlight.

I hope this gives you some ideas to try your own concoction. If you do let me know how it works.

A video on the bait grinder I now use. It's a #32 grinder, 3/4hp motor, and 3/4" holes in the grinder plate...

~ADC~

Re: Muskrat meat bait [Re: ~ADC~] #7450429
01/04/22 09:33 AM
01/04/22 09:33 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Here's a way to make a meat based k9/cat bait. The ingredients I added are only my choice you can add as many or few additives as you would like. Also the meat may be mice, beaver, cat, groundhog, muskrat, rabbit, ect... You're only limited by your imagination but this will give you an idea what is involved and give you a look at bait making step by step.

1. This is one gallon of meat base diced into 1" pieces. I removed all the guts, fur, and head then diced the rest bones and all. (There are no bones over 1" long)...

[Linked Image]

2. I then put the lid on this bucket and set this bucket inside a 5 gal. bucket with a lid on it. I made 4 pinholes in the lid of the 5 gal. bucket to allow gases to escape but to keep flies out. (it is very important to never let flies get into the bait) I set the bucket outside in the sun for a few days to reach a medium level of taint. At that point it looked like this...

[Linked Image]

3. *I poured the meat into the 5 gal. bucket for easier mixing. I then mixed one half pint sodium benzoate (preservative) with warm water til it was dissolved and added it along with a pint glyceryn (anti-freeze), some beaver castor and some muskrat glands and a few other "secret" things like that to the meat base and stirred it well.

*instead of step #3 above you could just order a pint of Dobbins Bait Solution, add it to the gallon of meat and go on to step #4.

4. I replaced the lid on the bucket and moved it to a cool place. I will stir it once or twice weekly for two weeks or so to allow complete permeation and intermingling of the ingredients.

Here it is after two weeks...

[Linked Image]

5. You can then jar it up and it's good to store any place out of direct sunlight.

I hope this gives you some ideas to try your own concoction. If you do let me know how it works.

A video on the bait grinder I now use. It's a #32 grinder, 3/4hp motor, and 3/4" holes in the grinder plate...

~ADC~

Tighten the belt on that grinder !! Yer killin me. grin

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Muskrat meat bait [Re: Trapper06] #7450527
01/04/22 11:40 AM
01/04/22 11:40 AM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
Thank you for that tutorial. Needs to be archived. Wolfie?

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: Muskrat meat bait [Re: Trapper06] #7450555
01/04/22 12:15 PM
01/04/22 12:15 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
I like it that way upstate. Nothing breaks that way. smile

Re: Muskrat meat bait [Re: ~ADC~] #7450564
01/04/22 12:27 PM
01/04/22 12:27 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I like it that way upstate. Nothing breaks that way. smile

LOL just bustin yer chops.Good video.If you were closer,,I would give you a grinder that you couldn't break.Its an old commercial grinder that I used for years for making my Italian sausage.Problem is,,Its TOO big to move around.Must weigh 100 pounds.My wife got sick of watching me try to move it around,,so she bought me a nice Cabelas one horse power grinder that is much easier to handle.Pretty sure you could stick a deers nose in that old grinder,,and it would suck it through to the tail without flinching.I think its a three horse power.

Last edited by upstateNY; 01/04/22 12:43 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread