No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: wallfur] #7450805
01/04/22 06:19 PM
01/04/22 06:19 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Originally Posted by wallfur
people need to skip the grocery store.....farmers are selling hambuger for 50 cents a pound and its over 5 dollars a pound in the store...buy strait from the farmer and grind your own meat.

I can assure you none are selling burger for .50 a pound here. I can buy meat in the store cheaper than what the ranchers are selling burger or steaks for. Give me a phone number and I will drive to ID for a pick up load.

Last edited by MJM; 01/04/22 06:22 PM.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: rvsask] #7450812
01/04/22 06:33 PM
01/04/22 06:33 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by rvsask
Case, like you guys we also import beef. As best I can understand it’s for the ground beef part of the industry, same with you guys. Not overly surprising, we’re both pretty overweight nations, more keen on fast food burgers and fries as opposed to locally produced foods.

If Old goofy Biden is subsidizing the beef industry in the states that is an unfair trade practice.
I hope we slap big tarrifs on them trying to dump cheap beef here to the detriment of our free market system.-Bunch of commies.

Last edited by Boco; 01/04/22 06:34 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: bowhunter27295] #7450841
01/04/22 07:12 PM
01/04/22 07:12 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
I think it a grand idea. Meat will seem cheap while we can whine and cry about the ever rising income tax to compensate for the affordable baloney sandwich crazy

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: Boco] #7450845
01/04/22 07:18 PM
01/04/22 07:18 PM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
Originally Posted by Boco
Case, like you guys we also import beef. As best I can understand it’s for the ground beef part of the industry, same with you guys. Not overly surprising, we’re both pretty overweight nations, more keen on fast food burgers and fries as opposed to locally produced foods.

If Old goofy Biden is subsidizing the beef industry in the states that is an unfair trade practice.
I hope we slap big tarrifs on them trying to dump cheap beef here to the detriment of our free market system.-Bunch of commies.

Perfect Response. grin

Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: Boco] #7450859
01/04/22 07:27 PM
01/04/22 07:27 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia

I agree.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: bowhunter27295] #7450864
01/04/22 07:32 PM
01/04/22 07:32 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
"The main beneficiaries of government support are Canadian dairy, poultry and egg producers, who set their own prices and are protected from most foreign competition by prohibitively high tariffs. There are also numerous "risk management" programs aimed at shielding farmers from such setbacks as disease, bad weather and high feed costs.

Canada isn't a particularly big spender compared with most other developed countries. Subsidies and indirect transfers accounted for 14 per cent of gross farm receipts in 2011, compared with the 19-per-cent average among OECD countries. Government support makes up more than half of what farmers pocket in at least four countries – Japan, South Korea, Norway and Switzerland."

Who is John Galt?
Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: bowhunter27295] #7450866
01/04/22 07:35 PM
01/04/22 07:35 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I understand Manitoba had a fairly serious drought this past year so some beef farmers ended up getting out of the beef business.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: Boco] #7450913
01/04/22 08:24 PM
01/04/22 08:24 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny

Like you did our dairy products?Trump pulled your Man Queens dress down and gave him a spanking and put an end to that.Hahahaaaaa grin

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: upstateNY] #7450950
01/04/22 08:57 PM
01/04/22 08:57 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
The monies as part of the bill are targeted to help establish more small and local processors in an attempt to decentralize the meat packing industry. These funds come in the forms of grants, low interest loans etc. As stated above have practices in the past and government etc. helped to centralize the processing industry. The government acts in political ways, which are not always the best when it comes to profit etc. The government however is not the capitalists that have sold firms and interest to Brazil, China and other nations. Two of the largest 10 dairy firms are Canadian owned. One of the trade offs with farm subsidies was the requirement that farmers be asked to report to the USDA through the NASS organization. The reporting is voluntary and thus many choose not to report. Some reports are annual, some more frequent ands some are every 2-5 years. I worked for NASS for 14 months setting up appointments for these reports. I liked that job the least of any I have had, for a whole host or reasons. Many government related and also many working with producers who wanted to share nothing but get their subsidies.
As stated above we need large producers and small producers. Now with many farms becoming so large that small plots, odd shaped fields, etc. etc. are not practical to farm or till, the opportunity for small scale farmers to utilize those acres is there. Much of that production will be for part time farming as there will not be revenues to support modern day life even in most rural regions. This is nothing new as a huge percentage of farms today are supported by off the farm employment along with subsidies be they federal, state and or local. As to replacing farming with trapping, that on a worldwide basis won't happen. 7 billion people will not survive without some form of farmer producing food, whereas they can exist w/o a trapper. Fur if needed can be provided by other means and in many countries of the world that production is already subsidized.
The world will need to find ways to make sustainable or small scale farm production produce more per acre or unit as the current production levels will not sustain the population without a huge cost increase in food.
I am currently reviewing some research that shows that sustainable dairy farms can be more profitable then large scale conventional farms but they produce about 20% less usable milk protein and fat, which would negatively impact consumers worldwide.

Bryce

Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: Boco] #7451002
01/04/22 09:45 PM
01/04/22 09:45 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely

Did you fall and hit your head this morning?

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: MJM] #7451080
01/04/22 10:45 PM
01/04/22 10:45 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
I can assure you none are selling burger for .50 a pound here. I can buy meat in the store cheaper than what the ranchers are selling burger or steaks for. Give me a phone number and I will drive to ID for a pick up load. [/quote].....
i can assure i am.....last load of cull cows went anywhere from 32 cents to 54 live weight.....MJM.i will pm you my number how many do you want?

Last edited by wallfur; 01/04/22 10:50 PM.
Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: lumberjack391] #7451093
01/04/22 10:56 PM
01/04/22 10:56 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by lumberjack391
Originally Posted by rick olson
The world needs farmers small and large,bottom line they need to get a decent price for there labor with a good crop.Case hit it on the nail,when my Dad farmed up untill 10 years ago the land was paid for and 90% of the equipment too.He farmed 700 acres and every year he would burrow money to put the crops in long story short most year it took about 100k gross to net 30K some years more many years less with a fair price for everything to help cover the input etc. a person should be able to net 40 to 60K for the about of time and know how,if you break it down by a hourly wage it would SUCK!!!!!That's my take on it other than our president does'nt have a clue on MANY MANY things.

What if you replaced the word "Farmer" with "trapper" and "Crops with "Traps" Not quite that kind of money for me but about the same percentage wise.

" Coon biodiesel; making America energy independent! " "Better than ethanol ! Good for the Environment! Sustainable and Certified!" Always need more renewable energy sources.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: wallfur] #7451104
01/04/22 11:08 PM
01/04/22 11:08 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Originally Posted by wallfur
i can assure i am.....last load of cull cows went anywhere from 32 cents to 54 live weight.....MJM.i will pm you my number how many do you want?

A cull cow is not Hamburger, it is a cull cow. You said "hamburger" You said nothing about cull cows for 32-54cents live weight. I eat better beef than cull cows.
.farmers are selling hambuger for 50 cents a pound and its over 5 dollars a pound in the store.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: MJM] #7451118
01/04/22 11:29 PM
01/04/22 11:29 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
It is too bad that many of you do not live in a region where cows that are culled are worth more. Here the last month our range is 29cents to 72 cents with over 50% selling for over 55 cents. These are 905 Holstein dairy cows and the better condition ones will weight 1450-1700 lbs., so many are worth over $1,000. One of the several reasons why milk production is declining is with higher input costs selling off cows makes dollars not cents.

Bryce

Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: MJM] #7451129
01/04/22 11:49 PM
01/04/22 11:49 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho

A cull cow is not Hamburger, it is a cull cow. You said "hamburger" You said nothing about cull cows for 32-54cents live weight. I eat better beef than cull cows.
.farmers are selling hambuger for 50 cents a pound and its over 5 dollars a pound in the store.[/quote]
in my post what part of grind you own meat didnt you understand? lol and yes cull cows are hamburger

Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: bowhunter27295] #7451135
01/04/22 11:55 PM
01/04/22 11:55 PM
ID
O
Ole Offline
trapper
Ole  Offline
trapper
O

ID
People seem to give presidents credit when it is something they approve of or blame them when they don't approve. Regardless of which party the president belongs to, it is Congress who passes the big spending bills and the president just signs them. So the congressmen from big farm states are the ones who are looking for votes. The only way I can support much of the farm bill is because it probably keeps my grocery costs lower even though garden produce and big game meat keep my freezer pretty full. The tariffs Trump put on China caused Trump to fork over 16 billion to farmers to cover the lower price for their grain because China stopped buying from us for a time.

I have a friend who bought 80 acres and raises alfalfa. He gets a check annually from Farm Services Agency for wheat he doesn't grow. He tried to give the check back and was told they couldn't accept it. That is peanuts in the big picture, but how many peanuts are being collected with little or no oversight or correction. I don't have any answers, but blaming a president of either party for farm subsidies is giving them more credit than they deserve.

Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: bblwi] #7451229
01/05/22 07:26 AM
01/05/22 07:26 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by bblwi
It is too bad that many of you do not live in a region where cows that are culled are worth more. Here the last month our range is 29cents to 72 cents with over 50% selling for over 55 cents. These are 905 Holstein dairy cows and the better condition ones will weight 1450-1700 lbs., so many are worth over $1,000. One of the several reasons why milk production is declining is with higher input costs selling off cows makes dollars not cents.

Bryce

I'm happy to hear that milk production is declining.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: bowhunter27295] #7451523
01/05/22 01:14 PM
01/05/22 01:14 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by bowhunter27295
So let me get this straight.

Ice cream joey wants to take the money he takes from me and give it to meat farmers to lower the price I pay for meat at the store.

$1 billion to be exact. That is 1,000 million dollar bills.

Yes, folks. This is how farm subsidies work. The gubmint acts as a go between to give the farmers your money to keep your prices low.

Kind of hard to wrap your head around that one and splain it to where it makes any sense.

I understand farmers lose crops to various things and need help from time to time. However, taking my money to give to farmers to keep my perceived prices lower at the grocery store only gives the politician power to look like the savior of farmers and consumers. It is such a sham.

I hear circus music.
I think you just broke a political code, most can't figure it out.

Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: wy.wolfer] #7451548
01/05/22 02:03 PM
01/05/22 02:03 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
So let me get this straight.

Ice cream joey wants to take the money he takes from me and give it to meat farmers to lower the price I pay for meat at the store.

$1 billion to be exact. That is 1,000 million dollar bills.

Yes, folks. This is how farm subsidies work. The gubmint acts as a go between to give the farmers your money to keep your prices low.

Kind of hard to wrap your head around that one and splain it to where it makes any sense.

I understand farmers lose crops to various things and need help from time to time. However, taking my money to give to farmers to keep my perceived prices lower at the grocery store only gives the politician power to look like the savior of farmers and consumers. It is such a sham.

I hear circus music.
I think you just broke a political code, most can't figure it out.

There is some truth and reality to the above but in this case the initial premise is not correct. The monies are not going to meat farmers, the money is going to new startups and other smaller processors to be able to purchase meat from farmers and at a higher price for the farmer, or at least in a less controlled market. Now if a meat farmer builds their own processing plant then they will share directly in those funds. The idea behind this is to increase the price to the producer even if the market or store price does not rise. The competition will always try to hold their market share and grow so there could e price drops to make profit really difficult for new processors, not so much different than what goes on in grocery chains, big box chains, convenience stores already.
Meat producers have never had direct subsidies, in the past. They did and do however benefit from the subsidies for commodity crops which allows those to in some cases reach the markets at below the cost of production.
One of the main reasons you don't see huge meat processors fighting over land to produce crops to feed, chickens, turkeys, hogs or beef is that if they can control the outlets of where the crops are sold and to who, why invest huge monies in trying to produce feed that you can buy at a lower cost with less risk.

Bryce

Re: Biden to subsidize meat farmers [Re: bowhunter27295] #7451553
01/05/22 02:12 PM
01/05/22 02:12 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Trying their best to put commercial seafood producers out of business. Gear restriction, quotas, seasons, licenses, closures, you name it.

Meanwhile we are importing uninspected seafood from third world countries.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread