No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7451938
01/05/22 11:21 PM
01/05/22 11:21 PM
Eastern Shore, MD
J
JoMiBru Offline
trapper
JoMiBru  Offline
trapper
J

Eastern Shore, MD
Great photos Mark!

Question for ya.

“But, the coyotes continue to play along, even in remake circles which is not common in high fence set ups.”

Why not? Curious to hear your input, as I always thought remakes with catch circles were better than original sets, with my K9 experience.

John

Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7452046
01/06/22 06:20 AM
01/06/22 06:20 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
looks like you guys are getting it done, thanks for taking us all a long , smile

Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: adam m] #7452049
01/06/22 06:28 AM
01/06/22 06:28 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by adam m
Great thread Mark. Looks like a blast.
That lion kill makes me wonder if the lion was feasting and got spooked and wasn't able to return before the yotes and eagles took over.

I think I agree with you adam m. I wish I would have found the carcass initially. The ranch, I have learned from the new owner, was vacant and very quiet for about 15 years. The new owner bought it less than three months ago and he's given the marching orders to get this 3200 acres in shape. He own 7000+ acres next to it. With the ranch hands walking around the fresh kill (they discovered it around 8:00 am) I'm sure the lion wasn't far off.

Oh well, we set it up and try. I had seen the lion prints walking down two roads and it's probably 80-100 lbs by the size of the tracks.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: JoMiBru] #7452052
01/06/22 06:37 AM
01/06/22 06:37 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by JoMiBru
Great photos Mark!

Question for ya.

“But, the coyotes continue to play along, even in remake circles which is not common in high fence set ups.”

Why not? Curious to hear your input, as I always thought remakes with catch circles were better than original sets, with my K9 experience.

John

Trapping inside high fences as I have now for 17 years I can tell ya that resident coyotes inside a "static" environment are different in a way that is quite different than coyotes that are free to roam for miles and miles. They are VERY skittish. In 17 years, and a ton of coyotes, I betcha I have killed .05% in a remake. I used to have fun with anyone trapping with me.... tell them, "I'll give you $100 you catch a coyote in a remake." I never paid $100!

I have learned much trapping inside fence. After about 7 days of setting leg holds, I drive the places on bigger ranches (5000 -15,000 acres) where we DID NOT have sign the first of the adventure and 90% of the time after a week... yep, the coyotes have moved to where I'm "not." Coyotes don't like trappers and coyotes "bump" into areas we chase them too when we pound stakes, pour goo, and kill their cousins. It's quite interesting. It's like a chess game. I set up. They adjust. I readjust. They move. I find 'em. They move again. Now mind you, I'm killing coyotes right along and after about 14 days, the dogs get so spooky in an enclosure of miles in size, that trapping with leg holds becomes unproductive. So I pull, wait a month, and hit 'em again. The goal is always to kill 80-90% of the resident coyotes inside the fence.

It's quite interesting that I don't use a ton of snares because most of my ranches snare 365 days a year. But I "button the parameter" 1st to make sure of all that goes in or out and funny thing is about days 4-5, I catch coyotes. You see, I kill coyotes in leg holds here and there and it's as if the remaining dogs "now" want out.

It's not anything about "setting good location" like fur trapping and waiting for the next victim to walk by.
Using leg holds inside a high fence is the most challenging coyote trapping I have ever done and we love it!

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #7452060
01/06/22 06:48 AM
01/06/22 06:48 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
looks like you guys are getting it done, thanks for taking us all a long , smile

Roy,

I'll ask the biologist here on this ranch if I can bring you along next year this time. I'm pretty sure he'll agree since he leaves the matters about all the trapping stuff to me, but it' polite to ask.
Great ranch. Great lodging. Full boat of coyotes and bobcats and the occasional lion (as we've found out).

I have the traps and gear. I have the buggie. I have all you need except you'll bring the trapping fun and adventure with you.
Donna said, "Yep, bring Roy next time."

grin

Interested?

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7452137
01/06/22 08:24 AM
01/06/22 08:24 AM
Ohio
S
SwampDust Offline
trapper
SwampDust  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
Mark- why did they tranq the lion? Can’t you keep them in Texas. That would have made an amazing mount !

Nobody Cares Work Harder
Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7452158
01/06/22 08:54 AM
01/06/22 08:54 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

I caught that lion in Nebraska in a bobcat set. grin

Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7452200
01/06/22 09:34 AM
01/06/22 09:34 AM
Stanton Mi.
B
BigJoe. Offline
trapper
BigJoe.  Offline
trapper
B

Stanton Mi.
Great pics Mark and Donna. I have been analyzing your cat sets to use here in Kansas. Keep up the good work.

Michigan Trappers and Predator Callers Association Director at Large
Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7452889
01/06/22 09:17 PM
01/06/22 09:17 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

The goal is to be consistent with the predator catches.

Setting with the rising sun.
[Linked Image]

Four coyotes today was a consistent day.
Been waiting on this coyote to revisit where he turded a week ago.
[Linked Image]

The oil lease roads with the limestone base is hard to get into but I can make an invisible set in it.
[Linked Image]

Another catch in a remake. Unbelievable but this time of year the coyotes are headed into breeding season and are falling for turd sets with Flat365 big time.
[Linked Image]

Another catch circle victim. Female caught where another female was nabbed 5 nights ago.
[Linked Image]

And the bobcats are outpacing the coyotes as is usual on this ranch.
[Linked Image]

Two more days and back to DTS we go!

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7452983
01/06/22 11:24 PM
01/06/22 11:24 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Great thread Mark
I like that big cat.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7453021
01/07/22 12:24 AM
01/07/22 12:24 AM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Please don't leave without catching that lion!! We are sitting on the edge of our seats!

Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7453079
01/07/22 06:09 AM
01/07/22 06:09 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
looks like another great day ,thanks for taking us along , smile

Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: martentrapper] #7453133
01/07/22 08:05 AM
01/07/22 08:05 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Please don't leave without catching that lion!! We are sitting on the edge of our seats!

Haven't seen where he/she has returned. The ranch hands are "checking" these sets about three times a day and that's too much noise, even though they just drive by in a truck.
I met the neighbor two days ago who just bought the ranch adjacent to the piece my rancher just bought. It's starting to make perfect sense. For years, there was very little activity on two ranches and if I was a lion I'd make this whole area my home base. All would have been quiet. The neighbor owns another ranch besides the one he just bought and he and I texted back and forth the night after I met him. He asked my rates. I told him. He said "you must be good with that kinda money per day," and I texted him back, "I know you're good with your kinda money." He texted back a LOL and said "when can you start on my places... we just found a fresh deer kill while we were riding the new ranch today?"

I'll trap his place, but not right away because I have to get back for my last semester at seminary which starts Monday. He runs a big time hunting camp which should be a fine set up. But it sounds like the lion is over a few miles...

I need him to sneak back in these last couple days, back on our ranch.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7453149
01/07/22 08:21 AM
01/07/22 08:21 AM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
Have a great day

Maybe you will get lucky and catch that lion before you have to pull everything

Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7453160
01/07/22 08:33 AM
01/07/22 08:33 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Mark good thread and good luck on your last semester at DTS.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7453179
01/07/22 08:55 AM
01/07/22 08:55 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Thanks Pawnee. I'll be straight forward, it's been wonderfully difficult and heart transforming all at the same time. I've met countless people from all over the world who study at Dallas Theological Seminary (it's the most diverse non-denominational seminary in the world with about 90 nations on campus) and many are from war torn or communist nations. Listening to them each week, I can appreciate EVERYTHING I've been given by being born in America. It's been absolutely wonderful for my Mrs. and our marriage also. God's Word changes you. It is divinely designed to do just that and Donna and I are a stronger couple in 1,000 ways because of her saying "yes" to my request to attend seminary at age 61.

Well, here it is almost three years later and almost 8 semesters completed and she and I have no idea what the future path looks like. But God does. All we do prepares us for what He would have us do for His glory, not ours, so we rest in that. I think that they'll always be some outdoors and trapping involved wherever we end up. I'm thinking bush country. Donna is not so sure of that one unless it's small village Alaska. Then she's there all day long she says!

I look forward to seeing you again Brad! Let's shoot at some pheasants!
Blessings,
Mark

Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7453180
01/07/22 08:58 AM
01/07/22 08:58 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Lions are definitely here today gone tomorrow animals. Sometimes. Have seen in real dry conditions where they will just stay at a water source too. Or get on a group of big horns and just stay. The AR folks like to say they kill a deer a week. When killing is easy they kill a lot more than that. IMO they prefer fresh meat and also IMO they kill for fun. They may eat some but its not uncommon for them to have another dead animal a few days old they have abandoned without eating all of it.

All just conclusions i have reached so take it for what its worth.

that lion will wish he moved on if you keep after him I am sure

Last edited by danny clifton; 01/07/22 09:00 AM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7453186
01/07/22 09:05 AM
01/07/22 09:05 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Good points danny! I just wish I would have found the fresh carcass so that the ranch hands weren't always checking the "water hole." It's the only pond on a piece 3200 acres in size and if I was a lion I'd nap under the mature mesquite trees and just wait. Like it prolly did with the deer the guys found.

All I can do is try. The rest is up to where the lion is headed.

I even tinseled the sets!

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7453193
01/07/22 09:08 AM
01/07/22 09:08 AM
el vado, nm
T
Tom Fisher Offline
trapper
Tom Fisher  Offline
trapper
T

el vado, nm
That is what Wayne Derrick says about lions. What I have found when they are around are coyote legs in my traps---they like eatin' 'em!

Re: Trapping a new ranch in south TX [Re: ] #7453196
01/07/22 09:16 AM
01/07/22 09:16 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

This is what we look for on the lion kills. Ate the axis deer in the chest area like a surgeon. The flank is eaten on by coyotes.

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread