No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7454827
01/09/22 01:26 AM
01/09/22 01:26 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,057
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,057
Alaska and Washington State
White17
Could you please provide a link to where you found that Battery "Ted Talk".
That is fantastic. It encapsulates everything I try to convey to my greeny aqaiantances who want to go electric yet at the same time are opposed to mining.


"I'm not skilled to understand"
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7455089
01/09/22 11:25 AM
01/09/22 11:25 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 41,525
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 41,525
Northern Maine
Where are the charging units back 200 miles in the woods?


Nevada bound
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: Clark] #7455195
01/09/22 01:32 PM
01/09/22 01:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,776
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERB🦝 Offline
trapper
SNIPERB🦝  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,776
Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by Clark
I love how this board becomes very anti-mining when electric cars are brought up.

Or you start to think about long-term disposal for batteries but not when nuclear energy is the topic.

About the cost of fueling an electric vs internal combustion engine vehicle: The IRS rates for mileage are something like 57¢/mile which is largely based on ICE engine vehicles. Why do they allow that rate instead of 6-10¢ you are all chirping about?

IRS mileage rate is talking about the cost to own a vehicle and this is a simplified rate. 58 cents is the business rate as the lowest rate is 14 cents a mile for charity. If it costs you more per mile you can get a bit more complicated.

Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: Gary Benson] #7455267
01/09/22 02:46 PM
01/09/22 02:46 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,140
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,140
MI
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Figure in the cost of an E-car. Alexa just said a new Tesla is expected to cost in excess of $150,000.00


My business partner got a new Tesla years ago and I paid for it. It was high end and cost around $120,000. The cost have gone down and you can get a less costly version for what I just paid for my new F150 truck. He also got free charges for life which I do not believe you get anymore. I drove it one weekend (he needed to borrow my truck) and had to park it because I did not want to drive the distance to a charging station. He can charge at home or the shop now.

The car is heavy and goes through tires. He has to drive quit some ways for service and one day it decided to load an upgrade will he was on the road and he had to wait for it to finish to drive.

Not sure of maintenance costs. But you need to be careful with his model/year. Sees stop lights but not signs. Also, has trouble seeing Amish buggies. Relies on the white line to stay on the road. One day he was letting his car drive us and snow covered the white line in spots and it dang near went in the ditch.

The car does kick some butt though. For now I am sticking with gasoline!

Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: Clark] #7455268
01/09/22 02:46 PM
01/09/22 02:46 PM
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 336
SD
T
TC1 Offline
trapper
TC1  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 336
SD
Originally Posted by Clark
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
[quote=Clark]Sounds like Minnesota is becoming another California/N'Yolk/Colorado.......


I love how, when posed with questions and circumstances that you can’t answer, you instantly go to attacking the person. FYI, that is usually a sign that you have lost the argument either because you don’t know enough about the topic or you can’t come back with a logical argument. Follow yotetrapper, they are onto something.


I assume you may well be a “granola”? I first heard of this term from my good friend that lives in Ely Mn. He used the term to refer to people that had been moving into the great north for the beauty, but had no clue on how every day people there made their living. Mining, logging, hunting, and fishing were all looked down upon by the new arrivals and they believed because they had moved there that everyone else should change their way of life to make them feel better. He often also mentioned they were fairly east to spot, they all drove Subaru’s with bumper stickers. The mining you seem worried about is paramount to you our part of our nation. No one here is criticizing it, just pointing out the hypocrisy of their stance!


Long live the MAGA King
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: Bruce T] #7455295
01/09/22 03:11 PM
01/09/22 03:11 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,513
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,513
Duluth, MN
TC1, you have fallen into the same trap as Gary, with a little more nuance.

Because I question and possibly answer some of your questions I become one of “them”. If you want to know the truth I grew up here and my jobs have always been tied to natural resource extraction. Call me what you want but your criticism is unfounded and does not advance your argument.

My point in asking questions about nuclear power and mining is to point out the hypocrisy of this board. We’ve all the sudden become concerned with these issues? And if we are actually pointing out the hypocrisy of the other side, why the hesitation to adopt such technology or worse yet, denigrate those who do adopt it? What horse do you have in their race? Hypocrites, one and all. Myself included.

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Where are the charging units back 200 miles in the woods?


The answer is easy, the same way you get gasoline “200 miles in the woods”. Bring it with you. Sure, it’s not as easy with an electric vehicle but your argument is a red herring. Nobody is filling up a vehicle out in the boonies.

Sniperb - Will the reimbursement rate be any different if the IRS decides to break out electric vehicles? Do the actual costs to own one differ from an ICE-powered vehicle? I don’t know that anyone has a good, broad answer to that question but cost-to-own (which this board largely ignores) is very different than cost-to-fuel.


Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7455310
01/09/22 03:23 PM
01/09/22 03:23 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 14,735
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 14,735
pa
College do ya in?

Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7455313
01/09/22 03:26 PM
01/09/22 03:26 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,106
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,106
Sandhills Nebraska
You simply carry a generator back into the woods to charge the EV. Oh, and GASOLINE to run the generator. Wait. What?


I know I'm paranoid......but am I paranoid ENOUGH???
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7455317
01/09/22 03:31 PM
01/09/22 03:31 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 14,735
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 14,735
pa
When we went to the North Woods of Maine and were aloooooong way from gas, I took extra with me in 5gal jugs.

Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: hippie] #7455319
01/09/22 03:33 PM
01/09/22 03:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,106
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,106
Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by hippie
College do ya in?

Millennial.......JUST MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!

Last edited by Gary Benson; 01/09/22 03:33 PM.

I know I'm paranoid......but am I paranoid ENOUGH???
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7455321
01/09/22 03:33 PM
01/09/22 03:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,345
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,345
Armpit, ak
When you don't have electrical connection to a utility, pretty much these ideas are DOA.


Who is John Galt?
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: hippie] #7455324
01/09/22 03:34 PM
01/09/22 03:34 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,106
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,106
Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by hippie
When we went to the North Woods of Maine and were aloooooong way from gas, I took extra with me in 5gal jugs.

There ya go........just take an extra 1000# battery.....maybe 2 or 3.

Last edited by Gary Benson; 01/09/22 03:38 PM.

I know I'm paranoid......but am I paranoid ENOUGH???
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7455328
01/09/22 03:39 PM
01/09/22 03:39 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 33,275
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 33,275
McGrath, AK
Here is another piece related to the whole subject of electrification. I found it very informative.

https://media4.manhattan-institute.org/sites/default/files/R-0319-MM.pdf


Mean As Nails
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7455330
01/09/22 03:42 PM
01/09/22 03:42 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,106
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,106
Sandhills Nebraska
That's alot of info!
Our Mothers taught us to not carry all the eggs in one basket. Or all the juice in one battery.
I will say EVs actually make sense in the cities where one doesn't have far to go. Just give American people the choice, not mandate it.

Last edited by Gary Benson; 01/09/22 03:44 PM.

I know I'm paranoid......but am I paranoid ENOUGH???
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7455430
01/09/22 05:16 PM
01/09/22 05:16 PM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,525
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,525
wyoming southeast
The automobile will never replace the horse its just not practical, there is not enough gas and very limited roads, no one to repair the darn things. Automobiles are just a wisp of a trend that will soon be gone and forgotten.

Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: Gary Benson] #7455461
01/09/22 05:48 PM
01/09/22 05:48 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,513
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,513
Duluth, MN
Originally Posted by hippie
College do ya in?


Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Millennial.......JUST MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!


Again, zero substance and no actual argument. Gary, you have added zero to this conversation. Hippie is following you close behind. Could you put some meat on the bone or would you prefer, like some playground bully who can’t hold his own in a fight, to continue lobbing poorly thought insults from the sidelines?

Follow white’s lead on this one. He provides substance and provides actual facts with which to make an argument. It’s that easy. He hasn’t made an argument for or against anyone, just facts. You know, like Colombo. Is he old enough that everyone on here reveres him?


Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7455468
01/09/22 06:03 PM
01/09/22 06:03 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,106
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,106
Sandhills Nebraska
Danvee, no President ever mandated that horses would be eliminated by such and such a date. The present administration has determined nobody can drive anything but EV after 2035 or something stupid like that. Let the people make their own decisions. They can still ride a horsse if they want to. Duh.
Clarkie, keep trying. You're gonna win.


I know I'm paranoid......but am I paranoid ENOUGH???
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7455480
01/09/22 06:15 PM
01/09/22 06:15 PM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,376
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,376
Ohio
I have a young maintenance fella that bought a Tesla. He can drive the vehicle 250 miles between charges. At a Tesla charging station he pays 4.00. It takes 30 minutes to charge. He also has an adapter that he can charge the vehicle at home. It takes 8 hrs to charge off a 120 volt 15amp outlet. Works for him.

Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7455482
01/09/22 06:16 PM
01/09/22 06:16 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,345
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,345
Armpit, ak
Clark having a discussion on trapperman about things like physics and electrical engineering are kind of a waste of time. Just google it. Even there, watch for the bias.


Who is John Galt?
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7455484
01/09/22 06:16 PM
01/09/22 06:16 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,496
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,496
Oakland, MS
Cold weather charging

The researchers found that charging times increased significantly when the weather got cold. When an EV battery was charged at 77 degrees, a DCFC charger might charge a battery to 80 percent capacity in 30 minutes. But at 32 degrees, the battery’s state of charge was 36 percent less after the same amount of time.

Cold weather cuts range

In the winter months when temperatures fall below 20 degrees, electric car batteries take a major hit. A study by AAA found that if you use your electric car’s heater while driving in cold temperatures, your range can be temporarily cut by as much as 41 percent.


Experience only teaches the teachable.

Aldous Huxley









Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread