No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
New musky fishing video. The real one this time! #7456351
01/10/22 02:35 PM
01/10/22 02:35 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

I know they are pests to some, but here is my first year musky fishing here on Georgian Bay. Quite the challenge, and a ton of fun.

Last edited by Hutchy; 01/10/22 02:36 PM.
Re: New musky fishing video. The real one this time! [Re: Hutchy] #7456367
01/10/22 02:50 PM
01/10/22 02:50 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Man I hate muskie fishing. And I can't wait to do it again.

Re: New musky fishing video. The real one this time! [Re: Hutchy] #7456405
01/10/22 03:48 PM
01/10/22 03:48 PM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Tremendous fish, and great shots of them...Just an observation, it seems like the ones that come off happen just as you get the net in hand...I wonder if you tried leaving the net in the truck a couple of times!! Just trying to help!!

All kidding aside, that one at 18 minutes was an amazing fish!

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: New musky fishing video. The real one this time! [Re: Hutchy] #7456423
01/10/22 04:08 PM
01/10/22 04:08 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Nice video.You don't keep any?They are excellent eating and my favorite fish to fish for.

Nevada bound
Re: New musky fishing video. The real one this time! [Re: Hutchy] #7456687
01/10/22 08:31 PM
01/10/22 08:31 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Not terrible for a Canadian! grin

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: New musky fishing video. The real one this time! [Re: Hutchy] #7456735
01/10/22 09:10 PM
01/10/22 09:10 PM
Northern Mn
rick olson Offline
trapper
rick olson  Offline
trapper

Northern Mn
Thanks for sharing I hope to get back on the north side of LOW and cast for 12 to 14 hours I love it,the hunt for the 50 to 55" musky figure 8 hook ups are so exciting as are top water hits.

Re: New musky fishing video. The real one this time! [Re: BernieB.] #7456760
01/10/22 09:29 PM
01/10/22 09:29 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by BernieB.
Man I hate muskie fishing. And I can't wait to do it again.

Lmao.

This. Totally this.

Re: New musky fishing video. The real one this time! [Re: Redknot] #7456763
01/10/22 09:30 PM
01/10/22 09:30 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Redknot
Tremendous fish, and great shots of them...Just an observation, it seems like the ones that come off happen just as you get the net in hand...I wonder if you tried leaving the net in the truck a couple of times!! Just trying to help!!

Lol.

If I want the other guys to catch some, I'll just stay home.

Maybe have a nice bubble bath and put on a romantic comedy...

Re: New musky fishing video. The real one this time! [Re: Bruce T] #7456767
01/10/22 09:31 PM
01/10/22 09:31 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Nice video.You don't keep any?They are excellent eating and my favorite fish to fish for.

54" minimum to keep here.

eating them here is kind of shunned.

There's not enough to sustain any harvest really.

Re: New musky fishing video. The real one this time! [Re: rick olson] #7456768
01/10/22 09:32 PM
01/10/22 09:32 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by rick olson
Thanks for sharing I hope to get back on the north side of LOW and cast for 12 to 14 hours I love it,the hunt for the 50 to 55" musky figure 8 hook ups are so exciting as are top water hits.

Topwater is awesome, but frustrating!

Re: New musky fishing video. The real one this time! [Re: Hutchy] #7456791
01/10/22 09:50 PM
01/10/22 09:50 PM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
That stirred up some exciting memories for me. I thought that I was over the "Muskie Fever" but your video made me relapse for a bit. I fished them pretty hard for about 25 years in MN and have many memorable experiences from the time spent pursuing them on the water. Fun video. I can see that you guys are having a ball out there. Good job!

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: New musky fishing video. The real one this time! [Re: MnMan] #7456804
01/10/22 10:06 PM
01/10/22 10:06 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by MnMan
That stirred up some exciting memories for me. I thought that I was over the "Muskie Fever" but your video made me relapse for a bit. I fished them pretty hard for about 25 years in MN and have many memorable experiences from the time spent pursuing them on the water. Fun video. I can see that you guys are having a ball out there. Good job!

Awesome!

Anything stopping you from doing it again?

Re: New musky fishing video. The real one this time! [Re: Hutchy] #7457593
01/11/22 05:08 PM
01/11/22 05:08 PM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by Hutchy
Originally Posted by Redknot

Lol.

If I want the other guys to catch some, I'll just stay home.

Maybe have a nice bubble bath and put on a romantic comedy...

Bubble bath? Is that where you dive into an extra large ice fishing hole and blow bubble while under the ice??

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: New musky fishing video. The real one this time! [Re: Hutchy] #7457665
01/11/22 06:28 PM
01/11/22 06:28 PM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
Originally Posted by Hutchy

Awesome!

Anything stopping you from doing it again?

I used to fish them with my son and he moved out of state and is married now with his own family. I fished them alone a quite a bit and when gas prices got high it was expensive. I also had no one to take pictures of the fish I caught and sometimes an extra hand was helpful during the unhooking and releasing. The lakes I fished the most were 50 miles from my house and I had best success during the low light periods just before and during dawn and late in the evening. Finding partners willing to travel and fish those hours was tough because with the changing weather and wind I had to be ready to go at the drop of the hat. Most people weren't able to do that. I made a surface bait that I caught 33 muskies on in 3 summers and my son caught almost that many with it too. We caught fish on almost every trip and 4 one day. Most on Mille Lacs were between 45 to 50 inches and girthy. That fishery is not so productive any more but the new state record did just come from there this November. It was 55 pounds, 14 and a half ounces and was 57 3/4 inches with a 29 inch girth. I am 75 now and do miss the excitement. I hate pulling the boat out and traveling alone and launching alone too and the invasive species regulations make it even more demanding as well.

I live on a chain of lakes where they have now been stocked a couple of times and some up to 36 inches have been reported caught but they seem to be scarce. I fish big pike on the same waters including tournaments where I have done well for the past 40 some years and I have yet to see one. I keep my boat on a lift by my dock and can go to 8 lakes from there so do not trailer it any more than I have to. I hope to fish them some more again once they become a little more visible in these waters.

Last edited by MnMan; 01/11/22 06:34 PM.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: New musky fishing video. The real one this time! [Re: MnMan] #7458381
01/12/22 12:49 PM
01/12/22 12:49 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

I used to fish them with my son and he moved out of state and is married now with his own family. I fished them alone a quite a bit and when gas prices got high it was expensive. I also had no one to take pictures of the fish I caught and sometimes an extra hand was helpful during the unhooking and releasing. The lakes I fished the most were 50 miles from my house and I had best success during the low light periods just before and during dawn and late in the evening. Finding partners willing to travel and fish those hours was tough because with the changing weather and wind I had to be ready to go at the drop of the hat. Most people weren't able to do that. I made a surface bait that I caught 33 muskies on in 3 summers and my son caught almost that many with it too. We caught fish on almost every trip and 4 one day. Most on Mille Lacs were between 45 to 50 inches and girthy. That fishery is not so productive any more but the new state record did just come from there this November. It was 55 pounds, 14 and a half ounces and was 57 3/4 inches with a 29 inch girth. I am 75 now and do miss the excitement. I hate pulling the boat out and traveling alone and launching alone too and the invasive species regulations make it even more demanding as well.

I live on a chain of lakes where they have now been stocked a couple of times and some up to 36 inches have been reported caught but they seem to be scarce. I fish big pike on the same waters including tournaments where I have done well for the past 40 some years and I have yet to see one. I keep my boat on a lift by my dock and can go to 8 lakes from there so do not trailer it any more than I have to. I hope to fish them some more again once they become a little more visible in these waters.

I put a ram mount in my boat, and put a cell phone holder on it. That way I set the camera up for count down and can get great pics. Just a thought.

I fish alone quite a bit. I enjoy just being able to go on my time, and can get away from people for a bit. Just easier some times for sure.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread