No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rio Lobo the movie [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7457526
01/11/22 03:49 PM
01/11/22 03:49 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
Gee whiz, it’s like watching a movie with my Dad with you guys. It’s like “are we Siskel and Ebert or we watching to be entertained?” Let me guess, you all also point out every other movie the actors have been in.

Re: Rio Lobo the movie [Re: tomahawker] #7457542
01/11/22 04:01 PM
01/11/22 04:01 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by tomahawker
Gee whiz, it’s like watching a movie with my Dad with you guys. It’s like “are we Siskel and Ebert or we watching to be entertained?” Let me guess, you all also point out every other movie the actors have been in.

there is the issue I am almost face blind and I can't remember names very well.
I can remember characters better

but women shoot they change their hair and I can't remember if I know her or not any more.

my wife I can find in a crowd although she is likely to find me first I usually stick out , maybe less at a trappers convention.

but I can spot a rifle or shotgun model form 2 rows over at a gun show and know by the lines I need to get over there and check the price.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 01/11/22 04:03 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Rio Lobo the movie [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7457572
01/11/22 04:41 PM
01/11/22 04:41 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I watched it the other day and it occurred to me they mostly had 1892 rifles not 1866 or 1873

very obvious when John Wayne takes his signature 1892 carbine large loop form his saddled scabbard before the big gun fight at the end

not very good for the story line the Civil war just ended , guys still running around in confederate caps cause they haven't worn out yet chasing a criminal from the war but you have a rifle in your hand that won't be made for 26-27 years after the war ends.

of course early in the movie they are carrying 1873 Springfield trap doors during the civil war even the south.

Well,,I liked the movie.HOWEVER,,the main girl character couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag.Lucky for her shes good looking.You noticed the rifles,,did you notice John Waynes belt buckle?It had the emblem of the Red River D brand on it.Red River was a movie he made in 1948.Red River D was the brand he put on his cattle in that movie.Rio Lobo wasn't made till 1970.That brand must have had a special meaning to him.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Rio Lobo the movie [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7457608
01/11/22 05:19 PM
01/11/22 05:19 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
unlike that other guy who tried to make movies and shot people instead.

John had his own colt SAA , his own Winchester 92 with the big loop and short barrel and his own holster it was his and he took it from movie to movie

there was an article about this in American Rifleman years ago. they were all working guns.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Rio Lobo the movie [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7457653
01/11/22 06:14 PM
01/11/22 06:14 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia

John had his own colt SAA , his own Winchester 92 with the big loop and short barrel and his own holster it was his and he took it from movie to movie

there was an article about this in American Rifleman years ago. they were all working guns.

The engraved pair he used in The Shooting weren't even colts. They were Hawes Great Western clones, german guns.

[Linked Image]
Re: Rio Lobo the movie [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7457842
01/11/22 09:43 PM
01/11/22 09:43 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Agrivatin sons a bucks yall are like tryin to play cards with my sister's kids!

Not only one of the best lines every but reading on here makes me want to say it at least 3 times a day!

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Rio Lobo the movie [Re: warrior] #7458093
01/12/22 05:56 AM
01/12/22 05:56 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by tomahawker

No but I do notice them and unless I s just a horrible movie I otherwise enjoy the show

Originally Posted by warrior

The engraved pair he used in The Shooting weren't even colts. They were Hawes Great Western clones, german guns.

Not really a problem there were actually a lot of colt clones even back in the late 1800s and just like today some were good and some bad

By the way he antique grips were antiqued by John himself by using strong tea to color them

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Rio Lobo the movie [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7458112
01/12/22 06:29 AM
01/12/22 06:29 AM
New York ,Adirondack mts.
M
mole Offline
"The Tman morning greeter"
mole  Offline
"The Tman morning greeter"
M

New York ,Adirondack mts.
Watch the mouths of the actors. some old Desert Rat flashes a million dollar smile . they could do a CREST commercial

Re: Rio Lobo the movie [Re: nightlife] #7458117
01/12/22 06:40 AM
01/12/22 06:40 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by nightlife

By the way he antique grips were antiqued by John himself by using strong tea to color them

makes sense he got his start as a prop guy after getting injured and loosing his football scholarship to USC

Re: Rio Lobo the movie [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7458212
01/12/22 09:32 AM
01/12/22 09:32 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Originally Posted by RdFx
Also no one is wearing sweat stained covers or western hats, no dirty clothes, also shooting pistols at 100 -200 yards lol

lots of the clothing is wrong , my youngest daughter really gets into the clothing and can pick apart the costumes in most anything historical drama

don't think 100 yards is out of pistol range
can most people do it fast , maybe not but you sure don't want to be a target at 100 yards

Always been one of my observations about westerns....clearest among them is how their hats change over time.

What cowboys wore during the actual period is known. Similar to military uniforms. But in westerns, what cowboys wear changes to meet the fashion of the day. Hats went from big stovepipes (and high water jeans with a rolled up cuff) in the 30's to flat pancakes in the 50's and 60's, to wide floppy brims in the 80's that looked like something Charlie Daniels would wear.

As fort hats......Clint Eastwood always wore a distinctly different hat in all his westerns. One not likely seen anywhere else.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread