No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: trapdog1] #7459231
01/13/22 08:46 AM
01/13/22 08:46 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by adam m
I was thinking about this thread this morning after a random thought popped up.
How will a typical family recharge 3+ vehicles overnight? How many people don't park in the garage? That's a massive panel upgrade and possibly a whole house amp upgrade and outdoors charging areas.
Each e vehicle prefers you charge with 220v with their special plug. So 3 + stations would be needed at a typical house.

My 3 kids are 3.5 years apart from oldest to youngest. That's a minimum of 4 cars at my house when they are all in high school. Not including their friends cars.

Your family won't be able to afford 3 vehicles anymore. You can have one, and I guess also depend on public transit or something. This is where this is all headed. Welcome to the America the lefties are building.

And you will live in your 800sf aloted living space in thr high rise in the city. You may otr may not havre your own bathroom. You may share the communial one in the common area. Agenda 21

Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7459240
01/13/22 08:58 AM
01/13/22 08:58 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
it IS looking more and more like the soviet union of the 1950's...bare shelves, medical care rationing...

Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: Drifter] #7459242
01/13/22 09:00 AM
01/13/22 09:00 AM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
Originally Posted by Drifter
If the oil is thick enough that the pump won’t properly supply oil to the engine then warming it up won’t help.

Where did you come up with this? Ever notice when doing a cold start the engine oil light is on? If you were to pay attention it does take longer in cold weather before it goes out and even longer after an oil change.

The main reason a diesel passenger vehicle takes longer to heat up is because there is so much more mass to heat. Heavier engine, half again the amount of oil and a big massive radiator.

Let me clarify, by “warming the engine” in the above quote I’m referring to the procedure of starting your car and letting it idle until warm. Not the actual, beneficial process of physically warming the engine through a block or oil pan heater. Both of those are arguably good for an engine. Letting an engine idle for long periods of time has never been beneficial.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: trapdog1] #7459319
01/13/22 10:35 AM
01/13/22 10:35 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by trapdog1

Your family won't be able to afford 3 vehicles anymore. You can have one, and I guess also depend on public transit or something. This is where this is all headed. Welcome to the America the lefties are building.

Afford won't matter, you may not be allowed 3 vehicles.

Unfortunately, this is not just extreme internet banter. A government that's allowed to dictate what types of vehicles you will drive rather than let the free market determine it will have absolutely no qualms in regulating how many vehicles you are allowed to own, or how much you are allowed to drive them.

But hey, some of us are just too old fashioned to understand that this EV thing is just the wave of the future. We should just accept it an move on.

Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7459327
01/13/22 10:46 AM
01/13/22 10:46 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
The government controls the price of your fuel when you drive an EV. That is fact. They can make it cheaper by subsidizing it with your tax money. You will never know how much it cost you to charge your neighbor's EV.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: Drifter] #7459333
01/13/22 10:54 AM
01/13/22 10:54 AM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
Originally Posted by Drifter
The real big jump in time to recharge is when it gets below freezing. Charging below 0c

That was interesting and informative. Thanks

Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: uplandpointer] #7459730
01/13/22 04:51 PM
01/13/22 04:51 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
It will become the most impractical mode of transportation when there are better environmental options.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Cost of Charging Electric Car [Re: Clark] #7459745
01/13/22 05:12 PM
01/13/22 05:12 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by Clark

Let me clarify, by “warming the engine” in the above quote I’m referring to the procedure of starting your car and letting it idle until warm. Not the actual, beneficial process of physically warming the engine through a block or oil pan heater. Both of those are arguably good for an engine. Letting an engine idle for long periods of time has never been beneficial.

I am gonna take a stab that you have never driven a diesel in the winter. Even with the block heater it needs to warm up for a bit. The colder it is the longer it needs to warm up. Otherwise you won't be going anywhere.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread