Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bait/Lure Calling Power [Re: Newt] #7459819
01/13/22 07:03 PM
01/13/22 07:03 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Newt
Originally Posted by oppossum1
If animals are coming within 10 to 15 yards of sets and not responding to your baits or lures, I'd move the sets 10 to 15 yards closer to where they're travelling.

Your missing 3 things

#1 location
#2 Location
#3 LOCATION

This is the most accurate reply yet!

Always try to make your sets inches away from critter sign....not feet...and definitely not yards. That greatly increases the odds that they will stop and investigate. 100%...?...No...but it is close.

Look at Mark June's recent thread trapping on a Tx ranch. Look at his catch pics. He makes a lot of sets in the middle of the ranch roads...between the wheel ruts. The coyotes,bcats, etc walk one rut or the other during their nightly travels. Their feet are only inches away from the set when they walk those roads.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Bait/Lure Calling Power [Re: Yes sir] #7460070
01/13/22 10:26 PM
01/13/22 10:26 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Yes sir
When your attraction isn't attracting them how good of an attractant is it? If guys think they need to be in the right mood may I suggest buying an ounce of rat glands, find a camera that darn sure doesn't spook coyotes, put glands down a hole watched by camera. See how moody they are then. I've found plenty of popular lures that are mood based I guess. And I've found some lures that mood didn't matter much.

So you must catch thousands of critters a season with rat glands. That’s unreal! Any particular brand or supplier you recommend?

Re: Bait/Lure Calling Power [Re: Butch2828] #7460104
01/13/22 10:51 PM
01/13/22 10:51 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by JPreston
How far do guys think a animal can smell your bait and lure? In the past couple of weeks I’ve had a fox , coyote and a raccoon walk with in 10 to 15 yards from two different sets. Not one of them came any closer than that. The coyote was definitely down wind of both sets. The fox and raccoon were weren’t straight down wind but close enough that one would think they would’ve been able to smell the bait and lure. As good as they can smell I would they could smell everything from a far distance. Just can’t figure out why they would be running close to my sets on there own but then not going over to investigate the sets

I've seen some say it's time for a change of lure of bait. Give this a try. Just give the backing a shot of good fox or coyote urine now. I'll bet a canine will be waiting for you after doing so.

Re: Bait/Lure Calling Power [Re: silkyplainscoyot] #7460167
01/13/22 11:28 PM
01/13/22 11:28 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot
Originally Posted by JPreston
How far do guys think a animal can smell your bait and lure? In the past couple of weeks I’ve had a fox , coyote and a raccoon walk with in 10 to 15 yards from two different sets. Not one of them came any closer than that. The coyote was definitely down wind of both sets. The fox and raccoon were weren’t straight down wind but close enough that one would think they would’ve been able to smell the bait and lure. As good as they can smell I would they could smell everything from a far distance. Just can’t figure out why they would be running close to my sets on there own but then not going over to investigate the sets

I've seen some say it's time for a change of lure of bait. Give this a try. Just give the backing a shot of good fox or coyote urine now. I'll bet a canine will be waiting for you after doing so.

I say change ,,there is a good chance they already smelled it, the ones they did pass by have been there awhile??? if they were on location.
15 yrds is nothing if down wind but like Seldom said at what time of day up hill or down hill .I realize most do not have a up hill or down hill. But if come out west hunting there up hill breeze during the day and a downhill breeze in evening and nite.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Bait/Lure Calling Power [Re: Butch2828] #7460174
01/13/22 11:32 PM
01/13/22 11:32 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
If lure or bait can not catch on it's own move on also ,,urine is added as a second attractent imo this time of year it's time use like silkyplaincoyote has stated

Kenneth schoening
Re: Bait/Lure Calling Power [Re: Butch2828] #7460258
01/14/22 01:17 AM
01/14/22 01:17 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Scent habituation.

Not in the mood.

Maybe the critters are “on to you”.

Winds not going where you think it is. If nighttime winds are nonexistent or extremely low, thermals and inversions take over and do all kinds of goofy things. The “wind” could change five times in as many minutes.

There’s not a lure or bait out there that you won’t see em blow by for a spell every once in a while. One week it’s the hottest thing since sliced bread, next week they wont even break stride.

What was the hot lure last year could be an old hat the next.

Mix it up. Try some subtle changes, try some big changes.

Re: Bait/Lure Calling Power [Re: Butch2828] #7460262
01/14/22 01:22 AM
01/14/22 01:22 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
As for how far they can smell.

A loud bait used in copious amounts, a looooooong ways if the conditions are right!

Re: Bait/Lure Calling Power [Re: Butch2828] #7460424
01/14/22 09:07 AM
01/14/22 09:07 AM
Indiana
H
HoosierTrapper07 Offline
trapper
HoosierTrapper07  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
I dont mean to hijack the thread, but I'm in a similar situation and would like some input. I think its relevant to the OP. This is my first year trapping.

I live on 22 acres. I have 2 dirtholes and 2 flat sets out. One dirthole and one flat set each at 2 locations. The dirtholes have been out since around 12/20. I added the flat sets around the first of January.

Dirthole #1 produced 1 coon on 12/22. Nothing since. We got a little snow about a week ago and I saw Fox tracks approach the hole but did not work it. Besides that there has been no activity at this set. I know this location is spot on. I keep a game camera here year round and have seen plenty of coyotes and Fox using this logging road. The flat set 20ft away on the logging trail has produced nothing. Both sets are directly on the logging trail.

Dirthole #2 is probably 75 yards down the logging road next to a lake. This location has a lot of predator activity, but due to it holding a lot of water I couldn't set on the logging road. I had to pull off the logging road probably 15 feet, between the road and the lake. I know predators work the logging road and the edge of the lake. I've got coyotes, bobcats, coon, and even mink on camera within 15 feet of this set, but nothing has worked it. I added a flat set closer to the road but nothing has worked it either.

- Should I try a different bait/lure? If I do, should I try to remove the old? I'm assuming if they aren't interested in it now, it shouldn't matter if its still there when the new is added? I really tried to not over do it with the lure...could I just need more of the original?

- For location #2, should I try to get more on location? I have a spot in mind, but should I be concerned with too many dirtholes too close to each other? Again, I'm assuming if they aren't interested in the original set now, it shouldn't matter if its still there when a new one is added? I dont want to keep adding sets and make the area hot.

- Or should I just wait it out? I read a lot of guys pull after 2 weeks of not catching, and I'm way past that on the dirtholes. If I didn't have animals on camera in these locations it would be easier to pull, but I know they are there.

Thanks

Re: Bait/Lure Calling Power [Re: TRAPPERKRIS] #7460896
01/14/22 07:05 PM
01/14/22 07:05 PM
sw pa
P
powderfinger Offline
trapper
powderfinger  Offline
trapper
P

sw pa
I agree. I have deep dirt holes with deer meat and some commercial bait and lure catch coyotes that passed up flat sets.
I certain that it keeps them working that dirt hole longer. Probability of a catch increases.
Location and wind direction rule the day however.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91