No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: One Second After.....the book [Re: Gary Benson] #7451130
01/04/22 11:49 PM
01/04/22 11:49 PM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
I bought the One Second after. It is wrote in the location near where I live. Good so far.

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: One Second After.....the book [Re: Scout1] #7454457
01/08/22 05:30 PM
01/08/22 05:30 PM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Well, that was a real eye opener. Pretty sure I'm as prepared as I can be but about chap. #8 I asked the wife to buy a few more vacuum packs of rice and a few of the 5lb jars of Skippy Smooth pb. Guess I will continue to stock up on ammo, you can never have to much. That's what I tell the misses. Very poignant and did point out a few insights I had not thought of. Won't mention cause don't want to be a spoiler. I'll start the second book tomorrow.

Was surprised to see he is an alumnus of my school, but until these books I've never heard of him. Thought provoking for sure.

P.S.

Even though the book is fictional the premise is real and valid, it is very possible.

Last edited by CaseXX; 01/08/22 05:42 PM. Reason: Add post script

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Re: One Second After.....the book [Re: Gary Benson] #7454469
01/08/22 06:03 PM
01/08/22 06:03 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
^yup.

Looks like deep winter will be here on Monday....took a while to get here. Hope it is good I need a book for evenings when I camp out next week.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: One Second After.....the book [Re: Marty] #7456131
01/10/22 10:11 AM
01/10/22 10:11 AM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
OK, two down one to go. I found " One Year After" to be as thought provoking as the first book, if looked at from a true what if prospective. Also made me think about looking into some extra coffee LOL. That's the first time I have ever typed those 3 letters. I'll finish the third book by Wed. I'll let you folks know when I'm ready to pass them on.
Case

Rules:
Re: One Second After.....the book [Re: Gary Benson] #7459596
01/13/22 02:36 PM
01/13/22 02:36 PM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
I finished the "Final Day " yesterday, read all 3 back to back, don't recommend anyone do that. It's not good for you. Feel like reading some Tolken or something maybe an old Zane Gray.

It's not William Shakespeare, but it is poignant and profound and quite sobering. If anyone like myself that has been preparing for the downfall of U.S. society for over 3 decades reads this they can use it as a road map. Keep your friends close and your family closer. There is no such thing as to much ammunition, firearms, foodstuffs, or concrete for that matter. The fact that it is all very possible is a great concern. After all wasn't it one of us that gamed useing an aircraft as a weapon of mass destruction, now this guy is giving some other despot ideas.

Summation: glad I read it, wished I didn't know it existed.
Case.

Rules:
Re: One Second After.....the book [Re: Gary Benson] #7460099
01/13/22 10:48 PM
01/13/22 10:48 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
bout done with 'deep winter' it is a good read...appreciate the info on it.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: One Second After.....the book [Re: Gary Benson] #7460871
01/14/22 06:19 PM
01/14/22 06:19 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Halfway thru One Second After. Definitely an advantage to living where there's few people.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: One Second After.....the book [Re: trapperchris] #7460895
01/14/22 07:05 PM
01/14/22 07:05 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by trapperchris
Patriots by John Wesley Rawles is a good one. He has a couple of spin offs from that one also that are pretty decent.

I really liked the first 5-6 books in the Holding Their Own Joe Nobody series. Then it really started to drag i thought.

Angry American first 4-5 books were decent.

Equipping Modern Patriots by Jonathan Hollerman was a really good read. There was a follow up and I've read it but don't recall it.

Any of the original Scott Williams books I also enjoyed.

Haven't read any new dystopian/prepper/ EMP type stuff in 5-6 yrs now so I don't know about anything current. I also suffered through the Buckshot guys series. First one was pretty decent. Tons of misprints and whatnot, but started with a good storyline. When I got to the one book where Ligers were starting to hunt people, I quickly lost interest. I'm not sure if there were follow ups after that one or not.

I have all of Rawles' books. They're great. I like that you don't have to read them in any particular order as they are chronologically concurrent with each other... You get to see the events unfold as witnessed by the characters in different places and dealing with different aspects of "the crunch."

Parts of the books are a little thick with technical matters. But as soon as you accept that the books are an instruction manual with pertinent info you wade through it.

A lot of the info/instruction in the books are likely second nature to people on sites like T-man. But he covers some stuff that you might call "updated" info to make the "old ways" a bit easier or more productive. It also teaches you how to look at an area and weigh your assets and liabilities to help you decide whether to leave or stay.

It also clearly portrays that a good portion of people in government are there as a means to personal gain at the expense of everyone else.

The entire series is in my "required reading" lineup along with Unintended Consequences by John Ross.

Now I have to look into the OSA series too I guess.

Mike

Last edited by Mike in A-town; 01/14/22 07:07 PM.

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: One Second After.....the book [Re: Gary Benson] #7460907
01/14/22 07:17 PM
01/14/22 07:17 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Halfway thru One Second After. Definitely an advantage to living where there's few people.

Yes and no. You definitely don't want to be in a major city. But the notion of holing up with just immediate family in a cabin in the woods is a good way to end up dead.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: One Second After.....the book [Re: Mike in A-town] #7460971
01/14/22 08:18 PM
01/14/22 08:18 PM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
Originally Posted by Gary Benson

Yes and no. You definitely don't want to be in a major city. But the notion of holing up with just immediate family in a cabin in the woods is a good way to end up dead.

Mike

Bang on, hence my suggestion keep your friends close and your family closer. Let's all pray it's only fiction. But I have auto and home insurance for a reason, might as well have other insurance also.

Rules:
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread