No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Stucco [Re: CaseXX] #7461377
01/15/22 09:06 AM
01/15/22 09:06 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by CaseXX
Sir. Would you please tell me what an EIFSystem is? And maybe Panzer mesh. As to certified is that to ANSI specs? You should know, after all you have the t-shirt? And of course please google ANSI. Thanks
Case

EIFS=Exterior Insulation and Finishing System.

Panzer® 20: A 20.5oz/yd² (695 g/m²) mesh recommended for all ground floor and high traffic areas. (Must be installed under Standard Plus or Standard Mesh).

Panzer® 15: A 15oz/yd² (509 g/m²) mesh recommended for all ground floor and high traffic areas. (Must be installed under Standard Plus or Standard Mesh).

Dryvit Systems Inc. holds several ANSI, ASQ, and NQA certifications. Please google as needed. Therefore, the answer to your certification question would be yes, I was certified to ANSI specs.

Oh, and they're not T-shirts, they're polo shirts.

Eh...wot?

Re: Stucco [Re: Eyehi] #7461384
01/15/22 09:13 AM
01/15/22 09:13 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
My Sons have installed some Dryvit in Nebraska. So far so good I think..after several years.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Stucco [Re: Eyehi] #7461414
01/15/22 09:58 AM
01/15/22 09:58 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm

Adam
Please take a reading comprehension course.

I'm done.

Second post.
Before hitting post relply I decided to reread the entire post, maybe you did not see I was a hod carrier for 25 yrs. do you have any clue how many mortar boards, stucco hods I filled in those years. Do you even know what a hod is? You think that you can teach me something. You by your own words say "I have always seen" you don't have a clue what "mud" is, ask any bricky, or mason they will tell you the best mud they ever had was no good. JESUS HELP ME, you people pixx me off.

First post.
Not sure about your posting, here Indiana, stucco is used only indoor depending who the customer is. Most govt.agencies/entities use Portland, fine sand also known locally as sugar sand, and bagged lime. But we have one, the major user in our area of many, many , many, Millions of dollars each year, that requires slaked lime. All others but this one can be mixed by common two or three bag mixers. Really don't have a clue about robbing water from cement, due to the fact that once mixed water and cement create a chemical bond and reaction enabling concrete to harden underwater if needed it cannot be separated on a molecular level. Any and all chemical reactions create heat. Added to your ambient temps may be the cause of your consternation. Hear we add calcium in winter to keep concrete from freezing but that's about the end of my knowledge. If you can help me in any way I am a sponge and constantly in search of things.

I can't argue with you people anymore.
I'm done

Hahaha sorry your underwear is in a bundle.

I've grown up doing stucoo concrete construction making Adobe amongst other skills. Stuccoed many houses and walls. Im not so prideful a's to not have a conversation to learn and educate unlike you. You say it was a legal patent battle when it's been around for thousands of years all over the world.
Like I said you will be impressed to come to the SW where nearly every building is stuccoed. Hopefully you fix your underwater.

Yes I've said I have always seen made a certain way but if you read my other comment you would see I've worked with it made it and being that nearly every building here is covered in it also means im constantly exposed to it. Just because stucoo wasn't my career doesn't mean I'm stupid you Karen. Seriously, you need to humble yourself.

Re: Stucco [Re: Eyehi] #7461423
01/15/22 10:10 AM
01/15/22 10:10 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
or Standard Mesh).

Lug does this mean expandable metal lathe / diamond wire mesh?

Been in my fair share of mud. As a 20+ year certified internet trapper,
it's lots a times best to, "I know nuttink" on here lol.

Re: Stucco [Re: Eyehi] #7461428
01/15/22 10:17 AM
01/15/22 10:17 AM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
A regional architectural finish in the Biltmore section of Asheville is called pebble dash. I think it is pigmented concrete with pebbles actually thrown onto the finish. Never seen it done. Several commercial buildings here are finished in pebble dash and it is very attractive.

Re: Stucco [Re: Eyehi] #7461436
01/15/22 10:26 AM
01/15/22 10:26 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Charles I saw that here. Colored aggs and crete and retarder mixed together, laid / hung, then hosed at the right time. Very nice and high end,,, and easy to do.
Wished I could have learned more but was busy.

Re: Stucco [Re: Wright Brothers] #7461463
01/15/22 10:53 AM
01/15/22 10:53 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
or Standard Mesh).

Lug does this mean expandable metal lathe / diamond wire mesh?

Been in my fair share of mud. As a 20+ year certified internet trapper,
it's lots a times best to, "I know nuttink" on here lol.

No metal mesh used in Dryvit systems. The Dryvit reinforcing meshes are fiberglass in various weights, I think five different weights are available.

We save the metal mesh for real stucco or mortar parging.

I hear you about going the Sgt. Schultz route. grin

Eh...wot?

Re: Stucco [Re: Eyehi] #7461468
01/15/22 10:56 AM
01/15/22 10:56 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA

Eh...wot?

Re: Stucco [Re: Eyehi] #7461474
01/15/22 11:02 AM
01/15/22 11:02 AM
Interior Alaska
O
Oh Snap Offline
trapper
Oh Snap  Offline
trapper
O

Interior Alaska
That was a very interesting evening!

I love the smell of burning spruce---I love the sound of a spring time goose---I love the feel of 40 below---from my trapline I will never go!
Re: Stucco [Re: Eyehi] #7461478
01/15/22 11:05 AM
01/15/22 11:05 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Thanks. I might PM you in mudding season.

Re: Stucco [Re: Oh Snap] #7461484
01/15/22 11:10 AM
01/15/22 11:10 AM
SD
653 Offline
trapper
653  Offline
trapper

SD
Originally Posted by Oh Snap
Dryvit 3 coat synthetic plaster over foam for insulation. Used on commercial buildings here in the interior!

the only way to go!! I have done EIFS since the 70s and no problems whatsoever. can be put on wrong just like real stucco or siding so get a good contractor

Re: Stucco [Re: Eyehi] #7461491
01/15/22 11:18 AM
01/15/22 11:18 AM
Interior Alaska
O
Oh Snap Offline
trapper
Oh Snap  Offline
trapper
O

Interior Alaska
I think that a good vapor barrier in the building is needed. A company out of Seattle built a Lamont’s store here and the superintendent didn’t want to put a vapor barrier said it’s not needed. Well that building has had problems with moisture on the exterior walls every

This summer the Wells Fargo bank building ( wood structure) had EFIS installed. Holds up well and looks great!

EFIS on a residential building in my opinion is the way to go in northern regions if done by a certified installer. To answer the OP original question

Last edited by Oh Snap; 01/15/22 11:37 AM.

I love the smell of burning spruce---I love the sound of a spring time goose---I love the feel of 40 below---from my trapline I will never go!
Re: Stucco [Re: Eyehi] #7461596
01/15/22 01:50 PM
01/15/22 01:50 PM
St lawrence county, ny
E
Eyehi Offline OP
trapper
Eyehi  Offline OP
trapper
E

St lawrence county, ny
We are thinking about using concrete framing instead of.lumber due to the hjgh.prices of wood ..... Our home will only.be one story but have a finished basement and garage .... Thanks for.all.the responses here ....

Re: Stucco [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7461597
01/15/22 01:52 PM
01/15/22 01:52 PM
St lawrence county, ny
E
Eyehi Offline OP
trapper
Eyehi  Offline OP
trapper
E

St lawrence county, ny
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
ever thought of cedar shake ? 50+ years and no stain , paint or other , nice big eves and let it turn dark

I hated painting the house as a kid my current house has well faded aluminum siding but it keeps the weather out so it can stay forever I would rather live in a silver house than waste another summer scraping and painting.

We have thought about cedar shakes gcp ...... Looking at all low maintenance options ....I don't care.for.the way vinyl siding fades over time ....

Re: Stucco [Re: Eyehi] #7461674
01/15/22 04:09 PM
01/15/22 04:09 PM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Don't know if I can do this but I'll try. At no time did I say or imply stucco and gunite are the same thing, gunite was where the legal battle came in. I am well aware of stuccos use in American architecture, and as I said from the start it is my opinion that true concrete stucco is the preferred form of that material. Lath (metal or wood) and plaster is used exclusively as an indoor building material here and is not the same as stucco in any way.

Dirtydog I don't have to ask lugnut anything because I will just make the assumption that if he were working 6-10-20 stories off the ground on a scaffold he would hope he has someone with my experience building it, not some fresh face kid off the street. Been on two jobs where scaffold failed both resulting in a single death and many injuries, one a friend of a few years. Now as to your shot about not advancing in the trade, when I came home there weren't many jobs for people with my skill set, that whole "baby killer" thing and all. And no hi school diploma, so I went to work as a laborer muck raker as you called it. It was good pay with by today's standards are exceptional benefits. And yes I worked out of a union hireing hall, I've never been somebody's company man. I've drug up off more jobs than you have fingers, if I didn't like my situation I told them (not back up and ask them for my money) to go get my check. One of those bennies, I controlled my own life. I go back to the hall and be on another job in a day or two, you see there is always a demand for skilled people.

Advancing??? Well one winter while laid off I watched my wife walk through two feet of snow to go to work while I watched drinking coffee in my living room. That afternoon I was at the local hi school signing up to take the GED class, took it passed with honors. Immediately headed to the local community college got out my checkbook and wrote a check for the total 2 year 4 semester plus books and labs AAS degree in Architectural Design, then took my associates degree to Purdue where I turned it into a Bachelors in Architectural Engineering. Still never heard of EFIS. Total time 5 years while working when time allowed. That all in my 50's. Took my withdrawal card from the union, Went to work for my state govt. doing research on new concrete and asphalt mixes. To make better safer longer lasting hi ways. My equipment all calibrated to ANSI spec. At ten years I'm fully vested in the retirement fund, the Dr.'s find my lungs have so much scare tissue from inhaling silica sand (they use it to keep bricks from sticking together) that I can no longer transfer oxygen in or carbon dioxide out efficiently enough to work.

So here I am twice retired feeding a few cows, and a few dogs. And arguing about nothing with fellow outdoor enthusiasts. I'm done arguing with you folks, you win, I'm done.
Case.

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Re: Stucco [Re: CaseXX] #7461696
01/15/22 04:48 PM
01/15/22 04:48 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Dirtydog I don't have to ask lugnut anything because I will just make the assumption that if he were working 6-10-20 stories off the ground on a scaffold he would hope he has someone with my experience building it, not some fresh face kid off the street.

I'm a residential building and remodeling contractor. I don't do commercial work. The highest I get is 40-50 feet. Me and my crew build our own scaffolding.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Eh...wot?

Re: Stucco [Re: Eyehi] #7461868
01/15/22 08:00 PM
01/15/22 08:00 PM
PA
P
panaxman Offline
trapper
panaxman  Offline
trapper
P

PA
[Linked Image]

In SE PA I see a lot stucco houses like this. This house is only 20 years old. We replace rotten 2 x 6's and plywood after tearing off the 3000 SF exterior wall. Remediation is very expensive. Most of my customer use Certaintainteed Monogram Vinyl after ridding their home of stucco.

I'm my area stucco houses raise a red flag in the resale market.

Last edited by panaxman; 01/15/22 08:03 PM.
Re: Stucco [Re: Eyehi] #7461912
01/15/22 08:51 PM
01/15/22 08:51 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Stucco is a great waterproof solution. Waterproof not only keeps water out; but, also keeps water in. As a former home inspector, i saw a lot of rotten framing in stucco homes. Some, just after a few years.

I owned one built in the 1920's A few holes the former owner had put in for something or another, made that house much more attractive to honeybees than a Langstroth beehive.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread