No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: ~ADC~] #7461079
01/14/22 10:15 PM
01/14/22 10:15 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
I need to insulate my barn ceiling soon. It looks like coon skins might be the most economical insulation on the market.

Those mealy worms will be a chewing. They find all dried hides sooner or later...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: Joe1] #7461358
01/15/22 08:31 AM
01/15/22 08:31 AM
IA
K
kinley31 Offline
trapper
kinley31  Offline
trapper
K

IA
Originally Posted by Joe1
good old iowa boys put another 2200 coon on the market for less than most would put them up for that should help better prices in the future way to go guys

Although a smart a$$ comment, one that we should all think about, because it is 100% valid. There's a demand for coon right now, but obviously very cheap. Years ago in the production/manufacturing world, they formed what are called Unions (I'm sure you've heard of them), so that companies don't take advantage of all your hard work and labor. If we as trappers continue with the mindset that "we should be thankful we have a place to sell our fur", we will continue to be taken advantage of. We have associations in place to protect our rights, but nothing for our work/efforts. How many Nuisance Control trappers on here let the customer dictate the price to remove an animal? I know, I know, a "Trapper's Union" is completely unrealistic, because everyone traps "for love of the game". Back to Joe1's comment, if there's a demand for fur, and this is all the end buyer is willing to pay, you're going to have to get comfortable bending over and placing both hands on each ankle.

Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: ~ADC~] #7461375
01/15/22 09:01 AM
01/15/22 09:01 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Or you could just quit.

Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: ~ADC~] #7461513
01/15/22 11:50 AM
01/15/22 11:50 AM
Iowa
J
Joe1 Offline
trapper
Joe1  Offline
trapper
J

Iowa
i quit and a lot of others have to if you guys ever quit supplying the market with cheap fur for fun and think your big trappers maybe they will go up in price and a lot more will get involved again and make trapping and every thing involved with trapping great again like it was before

Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: trapdog1] #7461546
01/15/22 12:49 PM
01/15/22 12:49 PM
IA
K
kinley31 Offline
trapper
kinley31  Offline
trapper
K

IA
Originally Posted by trapdog1
Or you could just quit.

I have no idea what you do for a living, but if your employer paid you less and less each year, and they continued to make a profit, would you keep doing that for fun?

Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: ~ADC~] #7461554
01/15/22 12:54 PM
01/15/22 12:54 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
The demand for wild fur (garment industry) is most likely weaker than what we want to accept/realize.

Hope I'm wrong, but I dont think so.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: ~ADC~] #7461572
01/15/22 01:16 PM
01/15/22 01:16 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Since our last market update we have had greatly increased interest, with calls coming in from overseas buyers wanting
marten (sables). All have been advised that no sables will be offered ahead of our scheduled March 2022 auction. The
Russian sable auction last month saw increased levels over last season and it seems that Canadian sables are in even more
demand. We are expecting a shorter catch than traditional years and this will help raise price levels further.

I don't understand what this last sentence means? wink

You know how much time and effort I have into this shortage? None. That was easy. smile

Last edited by Dirt; 01/15/22 01:26 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: ~ADC~] #7461578
01/15/22 01:25 PM
01/15/22 01:25 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
That's not a terrible average on put up red fox. Not many of them sold though. It's a lot better than the averages I've been seeing at the PTA district auctions.

Eh...wot?

Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: Joe1] #7461657
01/15/22 03:39 PM
01/15/22 03:39 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
i quit and a lot of others have to if you guys ever quit supplying the market with cheap fur for fun and think your big trappers maybe they will go up in price and a lot more will get involved again and make trapping and every thing involved with trapping great again like it was before

So all we got to do is quit trapping and all will be well?

Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: NonPCfed] #7461666
01/15/22 03:55 PM
01/15/22 03:55 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by NonPCfed
I need to insulate my barn ceiling soon. It looks like coon skins might be the most economical insulation on the market.

Those mealy worms will be a chewing. They find all dried hides sooner or later...

They only eat the leather-the fur insulation will still be good.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: ~ADC~] #7461714
01/15/22 05:18 PM
01/15/22 05:18 PM
Iowa
J
Joe1 Offline
trapper
Joe1  Offline
trapper
J

Iowa
i said is maybe what i do know is for 8 or so years it gets cheaper every year with this being the cheapest iv seen at your auction thanks to you and others id like to know if nafa and a lot of other buyers would still be here if every one would have backed off liked the buyers wanted every one to do 5 years ago give or take but i guess we will never know thanks to you and others that kept pilling them on the market so you can keep going to your conventions and auctions and wonder why they arnt like they used to be i tryed doing something different by quitting and not increasing the numbers that was already there what have you done

Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: Joe1] #7461736
01/15/22 05:47 PM
01/15/22 05:47 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin

With the few pelts that are being harvested the last years it is not a supply issue that is causing our very low market prices. When the market used to use up 1-2 million coon per season at respectable prices I don't see how 30-40K are ruining it for those who want to see those prices again. If one used to harvest 200 coon and now they are harvesting say 20 I don't believe their $100 worth of coons are the problem.

Bryce

Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: Joe1] #7461739
01/15/22 05:50 PM
01/15/22 05:50 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
i said is maybe what i do know is for 8 or so years it gets cheaper every year with this being the cheapest iv seen at your auction thanks to you and others id like to know if nafa and a lot of other buyers would still be here if every one would have backed off liked the buyers wanted every one to do 5 years ago give or take but i guess we will never know thanks to you and others that kept pilling them on the market so you can keep going to your conventions and auctions and wonder why they arnt like they used to be i tryed doing something different by quitting and not increasing the numbers that was already there what have you done

Wow.

Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: ~ADC~] #7461746
01/15/22 06:00 PM
01/15/22 06:00 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Sorry Bryce, but FHA marketed 170, 000 coon last year and I'm sure Groeny bought more than that from trappers. It wouldn't surprise me if last year production was still half a million coon.

"The market for raccoon pelts is terrible. A very abundant item with low demand and high processing costs has created a situation where it’s going to be difficult if not impossible to sell many raccoon skins at any price. The best quality pelts – the largest sizes that are fully prime and undamaged – will have demand and may sell for $10-15, but the rest may not sell at all, or if they do, average in the low single digits. There is a ton of supply backlog in this market. It’ll be a while before we see improvement."

Last edited by Dirt; 01/15/22 08:36 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: ~ADC~] #7461747
01/15/22 06:01 PM
01/15/22 06:01 PM
IA
K
Kong Offline
trapper
Kong  Offline
trapper
K

IA
Joe1 , quit your belly aching! With the size of the world population, especially China, do you think 2200 coon are going to make or break the fur market ? People who are trapping now do it because it’s heritage and in their blood. If everyone quits trapping, loses interest....... then it goes away because nobody cares and they don’t feel it’s worth the effort to fight for. When that happens it’s gone. Get out there and trap! If you don’t sell and support the buyers then they go away also. How will you improve your craft and be ready if the boom happens if you don’t keep your skills sharp? The same guys that blast people for trapping and selling now will be the same rascals that come out of the woodwork thinking they own every bridge and row spot if it comes back.

We all knew well in advance things would be grim, yet the belly aching goes on. Enjoy the sport today, may not be a tomorrow.

Joe1 and Tact20 , have you guys ever sold at the Boone sale just so you can support the Iowa Trappers association? The same group that supports you ? And maybe you have.
Tact 20, some of those Estherville coyotes may have drove that average up.
Good Lord only gave you so many trapping seasons, don’t skip any if you are healthy and don’t have too

Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: ~ADC~] #7461927
01/15/22 09:12 PM
01/15/22 09:12 PM
Iowa
J
Joe1 Offline
trapper
Joe1  Offline
trapper
J

Iowa
kong dont know what your talking about or why your on here get out there and catch another 1000 i think if everybody goes out and catch as many coon as they did when they were 15 to 20 dollar average they will go back to 15 to 20 averages alot of people quit trapping to hopefully help the market and others catching as many as they can isnt what i call working together i call it trying to help the sport and the other being greedy trying to recover a small amount of what they spent in money and time if not doing it for the money put them in the freezer or throw them away untill the market goes up

Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: ~ADC~] #7461928
01/15/22 09:14 PM
01/15/22 09:14 PM
central wisconsin
D
deerfly Offline
trapper
deerfly  Offline
trapper
D

central wisconsin
Joe1 , quit your belly aching! With the size of the world population, especially China, do you think 2200 coon are going to make or break the fur market ? People who are trapping now do it because it’s heritage and in their blood. If everyone quits trapping, loses interest....... then it goes away because nobody cares and they don’t feel it’s worth the effort to fight for. When that happens it’s gone. Get out there and trap! If you don’t sell and support the buyers then they go away also. How will you improve your craft and be ready if the boom happens if you don’t keep your skills sharp? The same guys that blast people for trapping and selling now will be the same rascals that come out of the woodwork thinking they own every bridge and row spot if it comes back.

We all knew well in advance things would be grim, yet the belly aching goes on. Enjoy the sport today, may not be a tomorrow.

Kong, well said!^^^^^

Last edited by deerfly; 01/15/22 09:23 PM.
Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: Kong] #7461937
01/15/22 09:33 PM
01/15/22 09:33 PM
IA
K
kinley31 Offline
trapper
kinley31  Offline
trapper
K

IA
Originally Posted by Kong
Joe1 , quit your belly aching! With the size of the world population, especially China, do you think 2200 coon are going to make or break the fur market ? People who are trapping now do it because it’s heritage and in their blood. If everyone quits trapping, loses interest....... then it goes away because nobody cares and they don’t feel it’s worth the effort to fight for. When that happens it’s gone. Get out there and trap! If you don’t sell and support the buyers then they go away also.

Kong, I respect your view, but change is always hard. If change is not implemented, we will all pay the price. Trappers, suppliers, buyers. Their won't be an end user, because there won't be any fur if the current prices continue. I care, and everyone on here cares, and it is most definitely worth the effort to fight for.

When I go to the gas station and they accept my heritage card; and when I go to a trapping convention and buy supplies with my heritage card, then we're good to go.

Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: kinley31] #7461978
01/15/22 10:28 PM
01/15/22 10:28 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by kinley31
Originally Posted by Kong
Joe1 , quit your belly aching! With the size of the world population, especially China, do you think 2200 coon are going to make or break the fur market ? People who are trapping now do it because it’s heritage and in their blood. If everyone quits trapping, loses interest....... then it goes away because nobody cares and they don’t feel it’s worth the effort to fight for. When that happens it’s gone. Get out there and trap! If you don’t sell and support the buyers then they go away also.

Kong, I respect your view, but change is always hard. If change is not implemented, we will all pay the price. Trappers, suppliers, buyers. Their won't be an end user, because there won't be any fur if the current prices continue. I care, and everyone on here cares, and it is most definitely worth the effort to fight for.

When I go to the gas station and they accept my heritage card; and when I go to a trapping convention and buy supplies with my heritage card, then we're good to go.

What change do you propose to implement? Not being a smart aleck - just want to know what you have in mind.

Re: Iowa Trappers Association Auction Results [Re: ~ADC~] #7462214
01/16/22 08:00 AM
01/16/22 08:00 AM
IA
K
Kong Offline
trapper
Kong  Offline
trapper
K

IA
To be clear, I do respect the views of Joe1 and Kinley31. My point is, if you just walk away from this sport because of low prices, and everyone else follows and does the same, nobody left to fight and it will disappear.
Joe1 did not answer if he has sold at Boone to support the ITA.

And besides that, it’s a fun sport. A youngster will never learn more about the out of doors anywhere else then they do on the trapline.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread